Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 AM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
RE: Life's Uncertain Drink the Wine Now

Quote:
Dswizzler wrote:
*we are looking to move aboard within 60 days and rent out our piece of dirt for a few years while we continue to work. The dirt payment will cover both expenses...the house and the boat. Which is an unexpected plus.

*Hey that doesn't sound so crazy! We're pondering renting out my office space in one of the commercial buildings I own. *Tenant's (very stable tenant I might add) rent next door already pays for the mortgage of that building and taxes too. *If I rent my office that rent will cover all ownership carry costs of our house. *Then I rent my house out and that covers all the cost of the slip fees, fuel, and insurance for the boat. *Sell the Monk and pay cash for one of the 50' 3 stateroom trawlers we have been pondering. * That also frees us up to "move" to a town we really like and spend more and more time at already without having to buy a house before we know if we really like living there as we can live on the boat for a season and see what we think and take our time shopping for a house there. *Hmmm..........

How does my wife put up with me??!! *
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM   #23

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...

Trawler buyers are like their boats, slow and steady and think nothing of researching for 1, 2, or more years before their next purchase. That is fine with me as the people I met 2 or 3 years ago might be buying now! But each year without fail one or more of my potential boat buyers tells me that something has come up, usually a health issue, and they tell me they can not buy now.
I could not possibly tell this to a client in person, "Buy now cause you might die or be too sick to buy later," but I can post it here.
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

"Buy now cause you might die or be too sick to buy later"

I think I saw a similar version of that on list of "Worst pick up lines ever".....
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #25
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Finance has been a big factor living on/owning our 58 ft boat. If we did not live on the eagle we could not justify the cost, but being its our home changes things. **Every paid day we have invested into/for our retirement, which comes out first and what remains we lived on and/or be able to help our children and grandchildren. If we could not afford the 58 ft boat we would not have bought it and/or still own it, but better than living on the dirt.
The boat we have used and enjoyed the most is our 19 ft run about trailered, we bought in 1978, for 3 grand, which we use thought the year and moored behind the 58 ft boat.* Been a great boat with a 140 hp Merc OB which is plenty of power for lake and sound water sports and fishing. ***In the winter we put it back on the trailer and indoor dry store it, so there is not concerns/up keep, like having a boat in the water.* Still the 19 ft run about is still my favorite boat and the best memories/times.
My dad just passed away, he was 94, so we are entering a new phase in our life.* There is presently nothing really holding us back except maybe health insurance to throw off the lines.* However, stage in live, health, finance responsibility are major factors that only you can answer.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #26
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

Drink the wine now? Just had a bottle of '88 Giuseppe Rinaldi Barolo last night -- one of the best wines I have ever tasted. But I paid cash for it when it was released in 1990!

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #27
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

That is a tough question dude.
Although I am financuially responsible, every so often you just have to roll the dice.

You want a real life story....well here it is.

We were ready to cruise on my Catalina 30 Sailboat in 2004. I was 57 years old then. My wifes family got sick on us. First her mother then her sister that takes care of her mother - trip cancelled. Then in 2005 Hurricane Katrina claimed our boat. In 2006 we bought our present Ketch. We had big plans because we now had a world cruiser.
That year and the following years - with an emphasis on the plural "s" in years, the illnesses kept coming and going with her family and her having to take care of them. Then the economy went down the tubes and work was slow. So, now here we are in 2011. I'm 64 and wife is 71. BTW, if anyone repeats her age, I will hunt you down like a dog and show no mercy. Anyway, she no longer likes the sailboat because she cant help with the rigging when 'stuff' happens. We missed our sailing window in life - plain and simple. Personally, I think trawlers are a great way to spend the rest of our lives so that is what we intend to do. Providing no one else gets sick including us.

My advice to you is if you want to go cruising in a few years, dont just consider your physical condition. Think about the age and physical conditions of those close to you and what kind of shape they will be in when you are ready to cruise.

If everything is good, GO NOW !!!!!
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Man, TonyB, your wife really robbed the cradle, didn't she? ;-)

Sounds like good advice. Consider your limitations and...

Carpe diem!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:06 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Tony B wrote:
I will hunt you down like a dog and show no mercy.
*Dog hunting?!?!????
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:16 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:Tony B wrote:
I will hunt you down like a dog and show no mercy.
*Dog hunting?!?!????

*Actually I like dogs. Taste like chicken.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #31
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Life's Uncertain Drink the Wine Now

Well you could always do it the hard way.

Sell the house first ( good luck with that ),* then buy for cash and move right aboard.

Your boat expenses would be your only living expenses.

My 2 cents*** JohnP

P.S.** On the plus side you may skip the next downwave of home depreciation.

-- Edited by JohnP on Saturday 23rd of July 2011 06:27:06 AM
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #32

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Thanks for all the great feedback. Both sides of the question have been discussed. While I won't say I have a scientific sample, it does seem that the older members on here tend to advise drink the wine now.

We have never financed our toys except for a ski condo. If you think boats are hard to sell now, try selling a ski condo on Mt Spokane in 1981! That's probably why we never financed a toy again. Lots of food for thought, thanks.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #33
Guru

This is actually quite simple. Sell your living quarters and move on the boat.
No financing necessary

OR

If you are renting, buy the boat, move on it and the boat payment will be in lieu of rent.

That's a;; I have to offer.

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Just keep in mind that Father Time stops for no one.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #34
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
yachtbrokerguy wrote:

I could not possibly tell this to a client in person, "Buy now cause you might die or be too sick to buy later," but I can post it here.
*I thought that was what you said to me.* Well that's my wife's verison.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:18 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
JD wrote:
yachtbrokerguy wrote:

I could not possibly tell this to a client in person, "Buy now cause you might die or be too sick to buy later," .........
*And why not? Obviously you are not from NYC* .
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Life's Uncertain Drink the Wine Now

I thought I was having a heart attack this weekend.

My left arm hurt and I was feeling a little tired.

We were discussing this very thread. One of the guys on board was a M.D. Friend of mine.

On further*Discussion *it had to have been that the Silvers were running and we boated a whopping 26. My left arm was just sore from fighting them. One was a 18# hen.

*Yeah buy a boat. Drink the wine.

*I did.* Also* Smoked my first A-Fuente Gran Reserva. Rated a 93. One fine Cigar.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 25th of July 2011 09:52:39 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #37

City: Onancock Creek,VA
Vessel Name: Tracinda's Treasure
Vessel Model: Pearson 43 Motor Yacht

I always hoped I'd be able to retire with a boat I could cruise around the Chesapeake Bay. As a younger man (still a younger) maybe much younger man I was into fishing offshore. My wife just enjoyed a little bottom fishing now and then. In 2002 I started running some sportfishing boats between VA. and FL. After a couple of trips the wife wanted to go. It only took three trips. Her third trip was a Feb. trip bringing a boat from Boca to VA cold even in FL. By the time we got to northern GA she was talking about living aboard. By NC she asked if we turned around how far south did I think we could get before the boat owner canceled his credit card (50' sportfish big fuel bill). I didn't pay much attention to her comments.

In the spring of 04' she asked if I was looking for a boat. We started talking about living aboard and what we wanted in a boat. I stumbled upon our current boat in August. It was a train wreck but we thought we could fix it up. I bought it for a third of the asking price and spent two years working on it... repower (gas to diesel), rewire, replumb and paint.

Moved aboard in Sept of 06., lower Chesapeake Bay, eastern shore. I figured when it got cold she would want to go home. Wrong three years later we were still on board and loving it. I purchased a piece of property with and old house on it and I was talking about rebuilding the house. Wife says I can come visit on the boat if I am planning on moving in the house she won't leave her boat.

Our son was killed in a motorcycle accident in late 09', as Christmas approached wife says I don't want to be here for Christmas. Our son had come home and spent the last three Christmas on the boat with us. We moved back to the house three weeks short of having been on the boat for three years. At this point in time she really doesn't care much about the boat doesn't want to move back aboard. We do still use it and take some long weekends.

The point is we decided not to wait until retirement to move aboard and we are glad we did. Too many friends have passed away, older friends with poor health. If you have the dream go for it. For us we just take it one day at a time and on the good days we talk about our time onboard and wonder if we will be healthy enough to fulfill the dream of cruising with the snowbirds when we retire.
Marsh Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #38
JD
Guru

Quote:
Marsh Rat wrote:
I always hoped I'd be able to retire with a boat I could cruise around the Chesapeake Bay. As a younger man (still a younger) maybe much younger man I was into fishing offshore. My wife just enjoyed a little bottom fishing now and then. In 2002 I started running some sportfishing boats between VA. and FL. After a couple of trips the wife wanted to go. It only took three trips. Her third trip was a Feb. trip bringing a boat from Boca to VA cold even in FL. By the time we got to northern GA she was talking about living aboard. By NC she asked if we turned around how far south did I think we could get before the boat owner canceled his credit card (50' sportfish big fuel bill). I didn't pay much attention to her comments.

In the spring of 04' she asked if I was looking for a boat. We started talking about living aboard and what we wanted in a boat. I stumbled upon our current boat in August. It was a train wreck but we thought we could fix it up. I bought it for a third of the asking price and spent two years working on it... repower (gas to diesel), rewire, replumb and paint.

Moved aboard in Sept of 06., lower Chesapeake Bay, eastern shore. I figured when it got cold she would want to go home. Wrong three years later we were still on board and loving it. I purchased a piece of property with and old house on it and I was talking about rebuilding the house. Wife says I can come visit on the boat if I am planning on moving in the house she won't leave her boat.

Our son was killed in a motorcycle accident in late 09', as Christmas approached wife says I don't want to be here for Christmas. Our son had come home and spent the last three Christmas on the boat with us. We moved back to the house three weeks short of having been on the boat for three years. At this point in time she really doesn't care much about the boat doesn't want to move back aboard. We do still use it and take some long weekends.

The point is we decided not to wait until retirement to move aboard and we are glad we did. Too many friends have passed away, older friends with poor health. If you have the dream go for it. For us we just take it one day at a time and on the good days we talk about our time onboard and wonder if we will be healthy enough to fulfill the dream of cruising with the snowbirds when we retire.
*Jack,

So sorry for the loss of your son.* Maybe it's the boat that holds*to many*memories and you may need to change it out to a totally different boat to help.* Something to consider for sure.

But you are correct, there is no time like the present.

Hope you get back to cruising soon.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #39
JD
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:*Also* Smoked my first A-Fuente Gran Reserva. Rated a 93. One fine Cigar.
SD*
Skip,

We have a store here in NC called JR's and they have some really fine knock offs of some really fine cigar makers including Arturo and may more at real reasonable rates.

I pass one of their store when I go to the boat so if you ever want some just shout out.

http://www.jrselma.com/*
Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #40
Veteran Member

So, bottle or box for you guys?

Being on a boat, and around any water I always feel better about the boxed, and I rarely finish a bottle, and I like how the box maintains freshness for a LONG time.

I think modern boxed wine has a bad rep, and they have come a long way, in attracting some higher caliber producer that use it.

I've had various luck, I'm a low-end wine snob, I like $2-$12 dollar range (2-buck Chuck in a bottle, is decent for the money...)..

but as far as boxed,* my fav now is Black Box Cabernet,,, about ~$20 bucks for 3liters...

It's true quality with a modern engineered delivery system,, I'd say the best (If they didn't see you serve it, nobody would ever think 'boxed'....

(Almaden,, blech!!!)..

What do you favor?

cheers!
waterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote