Life's Mysteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what did you do with the Steaming Spud?

Aussie kids entertainers The Wiggles present "Hot Potato". Very silly.

Last edited:
While we are on about fasteners that won't fasten - or unfasten. What about the fact that whenever you encounter some damned thing that needs an Allen Key, it is the one size that's not on your ring of Allen Keys. :eek: :mad:

While we are on about fasteners that won't fasten - or unfasten. What about the fact that whenever you encounter some damned thing that needs an Allen Key, it is the one size that's not on your ring of Allen Keys. :eek: :mad:

Along with "nearly" too many other tools aboard... I've also several sets of Allen Keys... Tools and fasteners = moveable-placement ballast at its finest! :lol:

In Canada metric Allen keys are great fun for testing Murphys law, each is close enough to it's standard counterpart it's nearly a guarantee to strip the head. The best part is when the two sets get mixed up. Can hardly wait until they metricize screwdrivers.

Phillips drivers are only good for center punches, flats are prybars, Robertson is the "only" real screwdriver.

And why, if you drop a tool or a part in the engine room does it migrate to dead center under the engine? And why if you can't find something you know you have it will magically appear soon after you purchase a replacement?

Or your wife will say "is this what you are looking for? It's right here."

Last edited:
Or your wife will say "is this what you are looking fro? It's right here."

Often easy to spot some things from a "helicopter view". LOL :lol:

Greetings,
Hah! Not boat related but fastener related...I'm in the process of restoring our '71 VW van. The rear axles were bolted on with socket head cap screws. One side had the "usual" 6mm allen keys (6 sided, of course). The other had what was called "triple square". 8mm, no less. Try and find one of THOSE in the woodshed!
Any one have Whitworth fasteners? Good grief.
On the nautical fastener note, I strongly suspect the flare nuts used in the potable water system on our vessel (built in Asia) are metric. Possible?

Any one have Whitworth fasteners? Good grief.

On the nautical fastener note, I strongly suspect the flare nuts used in the potable water system on our vessel (built in Asia) are metric. Possible?

Hey Charlie Brown! Whitworth and British Standard are all over my pre 1968 English motorcycle. I am blessed with my father's set of Snap-on English sized sockets and hand tools. Finally have a use for that jewelry.

If your flare nuts are the same as mine, they were probably hand made by the Taiwanese family in the third hut from the right. I doubt if they are metric; just sloppy. I carry an "adjustable wrench" for just that size.

..I'm a big fan of hexagonal head screw.. nothing is more easy to remove than a hex head... ;) The square head is my second option.

RT, I've removed the engine, replaced the bracket locating the shifter mechanism, and reinstalled all (successfully) on my '68 VW van. Parked over the grease pit in the Michelangelo Camp Ground overlooking Florence, IT. Driving around Florence with fewer gears than intended by VW was the signal to proceed!

Also, RT, I understand that the flare nuts on our Taiwanese water lines are indeed metric. I fear for the ball valves themselves, too. I also understand that you can re-flare the metric tubing and use US fittings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom