Life raft mounting location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doc C

We have a Neville 47 steel hull trawler we are commissioning next week. Any suggestions for a mounting location for a Viking hard canister 4 person hydro release raft. We are considering the weather deck Stern rail on the outside, or inside forward of the crane next to the coachouse. Our alternative is to counter the bow deck. Suggestions?

We have a Neville 47 steel hull trawler we are commissioning next week. Any suggestions for a mounting location for a Viking hard canister 4 person hydro release raft. We are considering the weather deck Stern rail on the outside, or inside forward of the crane next to the coachouse. Our alternative is to counter the bow deck. Suggestions?
Doc, please provide CT, Radiology, Ultrasound or some other imagery.

Most are heavy enough that one can barely move one, two struggling on a wet slippery deck.

Best mounted where one can easily get it overboard and secured by themselves.

And at the point, a good place to diem bark to it...even if jumping onto the canopy and sliding in.

Mine is on the boat deck

Without seeing your boat ? Mine is on the salon roof right behind the flybridge. This might be the last dry spot in calm conditions. In heavy weather your exposed to being pitched into the drink if the boat is rolling badly. I think an engine room fire is the most likely senerio that would make me abandon ship. I think I would have the most time deploy from this location. My rib is also within a few feet. The down side is I'm 12' above the water. Ditch bag and epirb are close by as well. In a perfect world it would be nice to have one on the foredeck and cockpit as well.

We put them on the bridge attached to the outside of the railings.

boat deck aft and outside railing works for us...

Here is a good video for rail mounting.

And here is one for deck mounting.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom