Old 10-25-2012, 06:39 AM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
Shouldn't we all just bear in mind the following? All coast guard agencies and lifeboat institutions...
  • recommend us to wear lifejackets at all times They have to do it as part of their safety image
  • retrieve more drowned people who haven't been wearing their life jackets, that those who have True but look at all th reasons why a person winds up in the water that needs to be rescued and the types of boats and boating that statistic comes from.
Is there a clue here?

On our side of the Atlantic (UK), PFDs are bulky, uncomfy, get in the way, and do not turn you the right way up in the water whereas life jackets (auto or manual inflation) are fine to wear, and should get you the right way up in case you are unconscious.

One other thought before I wind my trunk in (!). It's difficult enough to get a like jacket on and crotch straps properly fastened when not under pressure. I just wonder how many would be donned incorrectly when something is happening.

Enough of my preaching - I'm going back to bed.
Wearing life jackets all the time is hard to argue against...but if you reduce the risk of going in the water in the first place, you greatly reduce the risk of needing one....and further if you reduce your risk once in the water without wearing a PFD, such as boating in calm, warm water, near shore, you again have reduced the risk further.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #42
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
Shouldn't we all just bear in mind the following? All coast guard agencies and lifeboat institutions...
  • recommend us to wear lifejackets at all times.
But again, on what sized boat and in what conditions?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
How do I store my PFDs? (the OP question)

1. Vinyl bag similar to yours holding 7 Type II PFDs on the fwd cabin Hanging Locker shelf (clearly placarded)

2. 6 additional Type II PFDs stored in the cabinet under the Flybridge bench seat (clearly placarded)

3. 2 inflatable PFDs (1 manual, 1 auto-inflate) stored on the salon settee while underway. These PFDs get donned when on the bow or when underway while operating solo. If at anchor, these PFDs remain accessible on the settee, but are not normally worn. When in the slip, these inflatable PFDs are stored in a readily accessible netting in the fwd stateroom.

While operating solo underway, an inflatable PFD is always worn when outside the salon.
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #44

City: Beaucette Marina
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
  • recommend us to wear lifejackets at all times They have to do it as part of their safety image
  • retrieve more drowned people who haven't been wearing their life jackets, that those who have True but look at all the reasons why a person winds up in the water that needs to be rescued and the types of boats and boating that statistic comes from.
Hi psneeld,

Your comments carry great weight. May I add the following, not to prolong a discussion but perhaps to enhance it?

re your point "They have to do it as part of their safety image". The RNLI is a charity relying on the public for their income with no government funding at all. Their boats launch an average of 24 times a day around the UK and all crews are voluntary. It's very much in their interest to reduce the number of times they get called to conserve funds, so you are right that it's in their interest to do anything to help reduce accidents and save lives.

re your point "True but look at all the reasons why a person winds up in the water that needs to be rescued and the types of boats and boating that statistic comes from". Again, a very good point. However, rather than say (for example) high risk = small yacht, rought seas, young children = wear lifejackets; whereas low risk = 80' trawler, calm seas, professional crew = don't bother, is a subject likely in itself to lead into difficult waters (forgive the pun).

Education on safety as we all know is paramount. Experience and wisdom should then dictate to each one of us how we want to translate our learning into practice. Hence, for me, all crew and visitors on Play d'eau wear life jackets when underway - I see it as a risk reduction and one item less to think about.

One of the straplines often used is 'minimise the chance of becoming a statistic'. As you indicate, it's the skipper's choice how far to relax the guidelines - that's not a criticism, just the right of a skipper.

Here's to freedom from state regulations on the water!
greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Boating is only as dangerous or as complicated as YOU the skipper make it.

As we used to say in the US Military safety circles...there's no such thing as an accident.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #46

City: Beaucette Marina
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Boating is only as dangerous or as complicated as YOU the skipper make it.

As we used to say in the US Military safety circles...there's no such thing as an accident.
Agreed. Good motto.

greatpapabear is offline   Reply With Quote