License Renewal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have the sea-time and current physical you should do not need to take the test. I always take the test. The last time it was a two-part, Rules-of-the-Road for sure and I think, Deck General was the other one when I last did it.

Generally a "Sea Day" is defined as four hours or more continuously underway in one calendar day (Midnight to Midnight), no stops for lunch or snorkeling. Two hours before Midnight and two hours after equal zero sea days.

Local day boating may be qualifying:
I may be wrong, but seem to remember that bigger boats with tonnage is only required for the initial license, whereas smaller, open boats may be enough to qualify for sea-time renewal.
Will dig into it, I probably have a renewal come up soon.

I renewed my 100 ton with only smaller boat hours.

I've been involved in another conversation elsewhere about license requirements for recreational boaters throughout Europe. More and more countries now require it, so another benefit to maintaining a license. That said, it's unclear whether a domestic USCG license is acceptable vs one with an STCW master endorsement. Other countries have always poo pooed the USCG license because there is no practical test or boat handling skills assessment. As a result, some places wouldn't accept it. Now, with an STCW Masters endorsement, it's accepted world wide.

Outside the US, you must have the STCW endorsement. Otherwise, all you have is a National License.

National Renewals require:

MMC w/Officer or Qualified Ratings endorsements
 360 days of service during the past 5 years, OR
 Pass a comprehensive, open-book exercise, OR
 Complete an approved refresher training course, OR
 Provide evidence of employment as a qualified instructor or in a position
closely related to the operation, construction, or repair of vessels (either deck or
engineer as appropriate) for at least 3 years during the past 5 years, OR
 Provide evidence of being a qualified instructor who has taught a CG
approved course relevant to the endorsement being applied at least twice within
past 5 years.
a) Deck Officer must pass ROR;
b) Engineers (*See Note 1 below)
c) If mariner is holding a QMED rating that is now combined with another
rating, the mariner can renew as is, or request to take the exam for the additional
rating to be issued the combined rating.

Here is the link:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/checklists/mcp_fm_nmc5_01_web.pdf

There is actually a provision for deck time for boats that rarely get underway. Something like a 3 to 1 ratio.

STCW requires the original basic training within the last 5 years or a refresher course on all 4 elements or firefighting and personal survival, so some course regardless of seatime.

I highly recommend Boatwise Marine Training in New England area. Got my 50T master license through them.

We're in Fort Lauderdale so like half the boating world, we use MPT. Always been very pleased with them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom