Old 11-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Letting Go

My wife and I are in a position to sell our home, buy a boat and spend 2-3 years cruising without using our life savings or what we have invested. Our boat budget is 200-250K and another 150-200K for a small condo for when we get tired. Without unexpected expenses we can afford to spend 3-4K per month for expected expenses. On paper we can do it but my problem is letting go of everything I am use to having. Has anyone been through this besides me?
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We have not moved aboard since my 99 year old mother lives with us, but I would let go in a minute if we were able. BTW, welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
We have not moved aboard since my 99 year old mother lives with us, but I would let go in a minute if we were able. BTW, welcome aboard.
My 90 year old mom died last week. Under the circumstances it was the best thing that could have happened to her. I am just not sure I am ready to leave everything behind.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: All over
Welcome aboard!!!
We are in the process of looking for our boat and there are times that we wonder how we will adapt to much less than we have now. I think its normal. It's a completely different lifestyle and it will take adjustments. Some can make the adjustments and some will not. In all reality, the times we are excited about the move are much more frequent.
madaquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #5
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
On paper we can do it but my problem is letting go of everything I am use to having. Has anyone been through this besides me?
That's why temporary storage companies are very profitabble
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:48 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My problem would be letting go of all the tools that would not fit onto the boat. I know that I would use them if I were able to get them onboard, but I guess my table saw would be a bit much...
Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: Here
Kids moved out in 94'. House was sold as is within two weeks. We took clothes and family photos. We left 5 cars 3 motorcycles, paintings on the walls and all furniture.

What a sense of freedonm as we looked in the rear view mirror.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
My problem would be letting go of all the tools that would not fit onto the boat. I know that I would use them if I were able to get them onboard, but I guess my table saw would be a bit much...

I have a similar problem, I'm moving forward with my plans to cruise full-time though. My little brother has eagerly accepted my request for him to babysit my substantial collection of tools. He's pretty psyched and I know he'll take good care of them.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Exactly! We could deal with not having 30 toiletry products on the bathroom counter and 50 changes of clothes in our closet but not sure I could live without my tools. I would probably miss my roses to.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
I have a similar problem, I'm moving forward with my plans to cruise full-time though. My little brother has eagerly accepted my request for him to babysit my substantial collection of tools. He's pretty psyched and I know he'll take good care of them.
You sure are a heck of a brother...
Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #11

City: Millport
Vessel Name: Alchemy
Vessel Model: Albin 40 Trawler
Yes. apprehension is normal. its a big step. but you seem ready in many ways. i recall when i built my small offgrid home a half mile from the closest neighbor, on a hill in the forest... i got a little panicky just before i moved in. could i handle the quiet? the distance from other humans? The dark nights??? I laugh now. i cant imagine living any OTHER WAY now!!!
Zoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Buy the boat, cruise for 6 months, then make the decision. If you don't already have the boat and haven't done an extended cruise, it's a pretty big leap of faith to blindly go forward. If you buy the boat, try it for 6 months, and it doesn't work out, your loss is much smaller. For every couple who was successful doing it, there are probably an equal or greater number that realized it was a mistake for them.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
So you have the financial resources and your plan seems sound, so its a head thing. I'm not sure tools is a big thing, instead of a condo get a smaller more rural home and you can continue to have a small shop to build or destroy things.

What else mentally is holding you back?
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I doubt I could do it. I know it's all about material things but I'm just not ready to give them up.

My MIL is 103 and her health is failing. If she passes this winter (which is likely) we'll take off next ~June for a lengthy trip around the coast, up the Strait of Juan de Fuca then a tour through south Puget Sound then back north and up into Canada for the remainder of the summer.

After that is done the boat will be for sale and we'll buy a motorhome and do land cruises. With all of that I still need a place to hang my hat on land.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
My wife and I are in a position to sell our home, buy a boat and spend 2-3 years cruising without using our life savings or what we have invested. Our boat budget is 200-250K and another 150-200K for a small condo for when we get tired. Without unexpected expenses we can afford to spend 3-4K per month for expected expenses. On paper we can do it but my problem is letting go of everything I am use to having. Has anyone been through this besides me?

Yes, sold everything in the early 90's, cars, boats, all furniture, most all tools, motorcycles, snowmobiles etc. all of our possessions except the boat fit into a 6x12 enclosed trailer that went into storage. Lived like that for three years and cruised the S.Pacific. Came back from New Zealand when we got the news the Admiral was going to augment the crew. We are starting to plan our next cruise, The kids are gone and we built another new home that the Admiral has decreed will not be liquidated to go cruising again. That said we live in a area where home rentals demand a premium and there is a shortage ..since the shack is paid for its a positive as far as cash flow. Since you havn't done it before I would take the cautious route and dont liquidate everything to start.. plan a season then make the decision after that.
Good Luck
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

One thing that I believe, and others will argue with, is get a boat large enough that you will have enough room to be comfortable. There needs to be room aboard so that each of you can have some space. There will be times you want that separation. If you don’t have enough room, you won’t be happy. With your resources you will be able to afford a reasonable size boat. Also you will probably want to have company at times and if you are crawling over each other it won’t be fun.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #17
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Buy the boat, cruise for 6 months, then make the decision. If you don't already have the boat and haven't done an extended cruise, it's a pretty big leap of faith to blindly go forward. If you buy the boat, try it for 6 months, and it doesn't work out, your loss is much smaller. For every couple who was successful doing it, there are probably an equal or greater number that realized it was a mistake for them.
Good points.

A co-worker and her husband retired, sold their house, bought a live aboard boat, then sold it after their first winter aboard and bought another house.

Like love, however, I think it's best they had a Dream and lost than to never have been consumed by a Dream at all.

They might have lost a bit of money through it all, but I bet they learned a few things about boating and themselves that they never would have any other way.

Sometimes you just have to try, because if you don't, it'll eat away at you in your later years.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #18

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
I'm going to buck the trend here. Don't know if I could live aboard either.
Give it 6 months. Take it easy. Losing a family member is tough no matter what the situation. Give yourself time to grieve and settle the estate and do whatever else needs done. Go look at boats. Buy one next spring if you find the right one. Use it over the summer. You don't say what your experience level is but go slow. You seldom get the 'perfect' boat the first time. It will all still be there next year.
And I'd imagine everyone would get a case of the nerves contemplating living aboard. Too many "what if's "....
I guess I'm trying to say don't make any hasty decisions.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #19

City: Millport
Vessel Name: Alchemy
Vessel Model: Albin 40 Trawler
she"s 103 years old. it is certainly been coming on for a long time.
Zoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Here’s what I like about your plan.

You are downsizing from a house, picket fence, etc... to a condo.

You have decided to in between the house and the condo to use your capital and buy a boat, and try out the cruising lifestyle, with a realistic exit plan.

As far as reducing stuff, that has little to do with the boat. It has to do with your decision to downsize to a condo.

Good plan. If you like the cruising lifestyle you can do it longer than your 2-3 year plan. If you do not like it so much, bail, buy your condo and enjoy your life.

Yes letting go has got to be hard, but at some point it seems to make sense to downsize.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote