Let's Talk Towing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpelton

Veteran Member
Ok, maybe you've seen me active on the forum lately, regarding information on Ranger 29s and 30s, and truck size and tow capacity advice.

How about now, specifically towing the boat (10 foot beam) down the road.

I live in Baltimore and will be towing to key west 1x (for now) per year, and probably 1x somewhere Northeast. Also, will launch and pull my boat, myself, for storage and move it within Maryland once or twice per year.

Has anyone experienced the dreaded pulling of permits for mid-atlantic/east coast to Florida? There is a lot of rumor and it reminds me of all the stories of pulling building permits. But when you get right down to it, you just go down to the city office or town hall and fill out the paper and get your permits. In reality, no big deal.

What say ye, those who have towed.

Looking forward to hearing the truth.

Thanks,
Bob

I have never done it but even driving a pickup truck on I-95 from West Palm Beach to Miami scares me to death and the remainder of I-95 in FL isn't a whole better. My advice is to hire a pro.

Ok, maybe you've seen me active on the forum lately, regarding information on Ranger 29s and 30s, and truck size and tow capacity advice.

I live in Baltimore and will be towing to key west 1x (for now) per year, and probably 1x somewhere Northeast. Also, will launch and pull my boat, myself, for storage and move it within Maryland once or twice per year.

Has anyone experienced the dreaded pulling of permits for mid-atlantic/east coast to Florida? There is a lot of rumor and it reminds me of all the stories of pulling building permits. But when you get right down to it, you just go down to the city office or town hall and fill out the paper and get your permits. In reality, no big deal.

What say ye, those who have towed.

Looking forward to hearing the truth.

Thanks,
Bob

Pulled a couple of times from south of Ft. Lauderdale to LI NY but was less than a 10' beam. It is a long trip and takes a couple of drivers comfortable with the tow unless you plan to do extended stops. Planning around Wash DC is important so you do not get 'messed' up with restricted roadways and/or heights so plan well and do not rely on typical GPS under any circumstances.

Has anyone experienced the dreaded pulling of permits for mid-atlantic/east coast to Florida?

Thought I remembered that towing a 10' beam doesn't always need permits; daylight hours only, no Sundays, something like that?

-Chris

Here's a link to general information.

https://www.boatus.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=633

I would recommend using someone like Boat US's trailering club for all the permits. You can go directly to someone like Mercury Permits, https://www.mercurypermits.net/ , but Boat US offers discount and has experience with those towing boats while the majority of work by Mercury and others in the industry is commercial. Here is Mercury's page of information for private individuals. https://www.mercurypermits.net/services/private-individuals

Of course, you can call and get every permit yourself, but just takes one issue along the way to offset any cost for paying. Keller Permits is another company and there are many more. Still, I'd probably go Boat US and Mercury.

Back
Top Bottom