Let's talk tools!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aside from the basics, my favorite tools is the Husky 66604 or VIM HBR5 mini ratchet. I got it to tighten the screws on the back of my electric panel. Unfortunately, Home Depot no longer sells the 66604.

Lazer temp gauge. Anchor mud brush. Equipment manuals. Funnels.

Heat Gun

A heat gun helps with so many things.

Installing and removing hoses; sealing waterproof connectors, the list goes on and on.

And a battery operated drill plus impasct style screw gun.

And like others have said a real VOM, preferable with frequency (for troubleshooting generator issues)

A really good flashlight.

"I like my LED headstrap flashlight" Ditto with AC charger.

Canvas tool bag
Rescue tape
Large magnet

Small wet - dry vac...
Many conventional as well as unconventional uses aboard

For those with Cummins Engines you need a 10MM 12 point socket in your tool box.
the starter bolts have a special end that needs this socket. A 6 point will not work. I keep one labelled and taped to the lid of my tool box.

This is the tool I use the most. Several heads are available. I've wore out a couple heads under lifetime warranty. Tool comes in chord or battery power. Impact head locks in common screw tips, small sockets, and is great for tough to remove screws or driving long screws or small lag bolts. Also a sanding attachment for tight places, jig saw head, and so on. Mine is Rigid brand but made by most power tool makers. Other maker blades fit. This is the one tool I would miss the most.

Attachments

• jobmax.jpg
    jobmax.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 227
  • Jobmax impact.jpg
    Jobmax impact.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 273
A recent Passagemaker magazine article recommended "flush cutters" for cutting zip ties. Said with cutting the "tail" flush, you don't cut your skin when reaching around them. And they make it easier to cut off the ties, like on a wire bundle.

They are evidently meant to cut wire, but are useful for this other purpose.

Attachments

• cutters.JPG
    cutters.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 48
Straight cut aviation shears.

TDOK

Just ordered them. I am finished giving blood.

This is the tool I use the most. Several heads are available. I've wore out a couple heads under lifetime warranty. Tool comes in chord or battery power. Impact head locks in common screw tips, small sockets, and is great for tough to remove screws or driving long screws or small lag bolts. Also a sanding attachment for tight places, jig saw head, and so on. Mine is Rigid brand but made by most power tool makers. Other maker blades fit. This is the one tool I would miss the most.

I have the same tool. I have used it for sanding, cutting in awkward places and angles, right angle drill, and for taking Dremel bits. I had a very old battery fail me the other day. I took it back to Home Depot and they replaced it without a question. Rigid stands by their "lifetime warranty". Small, compact, and extremely useful.

Two other things that I thought of today, knee pads and a telescoping inspection mirror.

Attachments

• 47057_RIDGID_812_12 Alum Wrench 3-4 Left_72dpi.jpg
    47057_RIDGID_812_12 Alum Wrench 3-4 Left_72dpi.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 147
For those with Cummins Engines you need a 10MM 12 point socket in your tool box.
the starter bolts have a special end that needs this socket. A 6 point will not work. I keep one labelled and taped to the lid of my tool box.

What model/year is your Cummins? I can fit and work a 6 sided 10mm socket on the mounting bolts of mine, they are hex head bolts. Mine is a 6 BT5.9-M 220 hp 2002 model.

Back
Top Bottom