Old 08-27-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Let's talk about sunglasses

Polarized is the way to go of course but how dark, what color. Is green, brown or grey better or is it just a personal preference? Cutting the surface glare to see below the surface is important to us boat drivers.

Any low cost, high quality GLASS lens sources... Tell what ya know.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
Polarized is the way to go of course but how dark, what color. Is green, brown or grey better or is it just a personal preference? Cutting the surface glare to see below the surface is important to us boat drivers.

We use polarized amber lenses as much for personal preference as anything. Since the eyes are starting to go I need readers. I can buy Ono's polarized readers with a lifetime warranty on line.

Readers / Bifocals | ONOS Sunglasses

Most eye glasses made today are not made from glass. There are lighter, more versatile and safer materials.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Personal preference after trying them all is gray. Get my prescription shades at Costco.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
Guru

City: kemah
http://www.sailingworld.com/gear/lens-colors-decoded
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

As a diabetic with minor cataract in both eyes my all time favorite are dark green safety glasses(#5's I think) from the welding supply store. No clue if they're polarized and honestly don't care. The ones I get are osha approved for flame cutting steel without additional shading.

When wearing them I feel relief from pain I had no idea existed. $9 a pair I buy 6 at a time and don't care if I lose them.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #6
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Costa Del Mar, Amber color lens, Model Isabela , " Brine " is the new name, we've had our three years and after a day in the pilothouse your eyes will feel the differencen.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #7

City: Marietta
Vessel Model: Cobalt 246

Boy, do I sympathize. There is simply no substitute for real glass lenses. From the low distortion to the excellent scratch resistance, glass is the way to go. RayBans are the only everyday glass lenses that I am aware of. Some brands offer glass on a few select models... If anyone knows other all- glass brands please chime in.....

David Hughes
2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #8

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post

You can't have both... "low cost, high quality GLASS lens".

That said, for what you're looking for... "Cutting the surface glare to see below the surface", one of the best sunglasses I've come across are the Costa Del Mar polarized with Costa's '580' technology. I say this as a life long deep sea fisherman and someone who needed to see below the surface glare of the water.

Here's what I wear:

https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sun.../fathom-1/1138

FWIW... My lenses are blue mirrored with gray base.
Old 08-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
blue lense Onos (prescription), broke my first pair, lifetime warranty replaces for $15 s&h.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:48 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
As a diabetic with minor cataract in both eyes my all time favorite are dark green safety glasses(#5's I think) from the welding supply store. No clue if they're polarized and honestly don't care. The ones I get are osha approved for flame cutting steel without additional shading.

When wearing them I feel relief from pain I had no idea existed. $9 a pair I buy 6 at a time and don't care if I lose them.
I use to wear those with the side shields. Bought them by the box of 10. My ophthalmologist gave them a big thumbs up. After each summer or running the charter boat with them, my wife would say I had raccoon eyes.

Had to switch several years ago to green polarized bifocals. $120 at the walmart vision center. Works for me.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #11
Guru

City: Sydney
After working in China and seen glasses been produced I find it hard to part with $200+ sunglasses that leave the factory boxed for under $5 that includes Ray Bans
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:15 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. G. "...boxed for under $5 that includes Ray Bans..." My feeling exactly! I stick with the bargain brands (<$15) which are probably made for $0.25. Granted, the optics may not be the best but they DO work for me. Rose colored usually...
Old 08-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I buy $15 dollar, floating, polarized, fishing glasses at Walmart.

I have had the best to the worst in glasses...USCG aviation gave me whatever I wanted for awhile.

Fortunately I still have 20/20 at 62 and don' t use readers either.

You can think good glasses make the diffrence, but clean and smudge free is all it takes.

I have looked through people's $300 dollar glasses that obviously wouldn't meet my requirements when new, clean $15 ones do.

Buy what you like..but in the end what works can be quite a spread.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
FOG
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
"Cheap Sunglasses" (and ZZ Top) work for me. Have several pairs aboard, in the car, Rv, etc. Keep them right next to my $1 readers.
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #15
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
From viral eye socket infection in womb that remained for a while after birth as well as eyeball shape... my eyes have always been f'd up regarding vision clarity - in general. Getting progressively worse as age moves forward. Good prescript glasses make my eye sight (i.e. seeing well close and far in shade or sun) pretty good for me. I wear transitional/progressives. Used to be glass lens, now guaranteed coated plastic. I also keep dark, large, $10, UV protected sun glasses in every vehicle, on my desk, in my boat... etc. They fit over my glasses and work great! I buy em 5 at a time. That number lasts for a year or more.

The boat sunglasses have sturdy rear of skull band attached so I can swim with them and my real glasses on having no fear of losing either (I don't dive off boat with them though). Real glasses have relatively small wire frame with cane-hook ends over and around ears on their temples.

Recently got 4X / 4X mag lenses on each side of dive mask. Not my full prescrip but should assist quite a bit. Will try them out this holiday weekend!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #16

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Old Town Loon
I buy Serengeti's amber non polarised for for flying and grey polarised for boating. Through Amazon they are reasonably priced and all have high quality glass lenses. I wouldn't wear anything else,

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:48 PM   #17

City: San Francisco, CA
While I love my nice Ray Bans it seems that the more expensive and coveted glasses tend to go over the side first whereas the cheaper glasses, especially ones left on board, never go over and never get lost / stepped on / chewed. My biggest thing is making sure I wear the sunglasses as the sun is setting to ease the transition from day to dark easier on my eyes. I tend to notice my night vision is better when I do so.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Bought a one-Euro pair of sunglasses in Dunkirk, but they didn't last the afternoon.

... Have several pairs of sunglasses but rarely use them as I find them annoying. (I've worn clear-lense glasses for eyesight-correction for most of my life. Presently wearing reading glasses.)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:19 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: United States
Vessel Name: First Forty
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck View Post
Costa Del Mar polarized with Costa's '580' technology.
https://www.costadelmar.com/shop/sun.../fathom-1/1138

FWIW... My lenses are blue mirrored with gray base.
I bought a pair of them last year to try out. Ordered another pair with my prescription last week. I got the Cut model.
Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:41 PM   #20
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Both at my dinette and down below by my bunk I have small glass bottles filled with 90% rubbing alcohol. Spritzing on both lenses and sides of lenses at least once a day keeps me happy.

I buy the bottles from Specialty Bottle - Wholesale Glass Bottles, Jars, Metal Tins and Plastic Containers

Clean lenses are the key. As for sunglasses, I'm a dollar store fan. Mine are dark -- the darkest I can find. I buy the largest frames too. They are adequate.

A neighbor has a pair of mirror blue sunglasses he bought at a boat show. They are remarkably better -- but not $59 better. He paid $60 at the boat show. I like them far better than my own for certain.

Unfortunately I make donations to Neptune of both sunglasses and reading glasses. At a dollar each, it's annoying but not purse busting.

Specialty Bottle is a great company. I buy their small vials for my oil paints -- far neater than the tubes. Article here: Janice142 article Little Things (hobby afloat)