Old 09-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #1

City: Matagorda Bay
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: 2005 Defever 44
Comparison of Defever 44/48 hull shapes

First request (shameless hijack of my own thread):
The trawler search is into it's second year now....Hoping someone may have knowledge of a currently unlisted DeFever trawler on the Gulf coast. Target boat is a 10-15 year old Defever 44 Offshore or a 49CPMY; preferably without stabilizers (too many crab pots around here, and for our usage the increased maintenance would outweigh the benefits); preferably with Cummins or JD engines. I run a daily search of Yachtworld and Boat Trader, so if it's currently listed, I know about it. Have also been in touch with local brokers on the Gulf coast, and the Defever Owner's Forum for any prospective boats.
We made a couple trips to Florida to survey a trawler last fall, but it didn't work out for several reasons. Although there are a couple boats on the upper East coast that fit my needs, I really don't relish the ideal of a long range purchase and 2K mile trip home to Texas on a new boat that I haven't had time to go through all systems....(The curse of working in the nuclear industry for 40 years) ... So, if you overhear someone hint of placing their Defever on the market, please put me in touch with them!

Second (back on subject) request:
Does anyone have in their files a picture of both the D44/D49CPMY and the D48 hauled out so I can compare the hull shape from the stern view? I've found several that mainly show close view of the running gear, but nothing at a wider angle. Curious as to which one might be less "rolly" without stabilizers.I've always admired the lines of the D48 over other models, and if the right boat ever popped up, might be able to talk the Admiral out of the D44 sundeck....

Thanks for enduring the ramblings of a recovering sail addict in his age-induced search for a trawler....
Luke
greysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Puget Sound
I've got a couple of a 48

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0197.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	55938

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	55939
Ka_sea_ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:12 PM   #3

Thanks Ka_Sea_Ta......just what I needed for the D48.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
These aren't as good, but are the best I have of our 44. The photo was during pre-purchase inspection haulout and before her bottom was painted. (I didn't load the YouTube properly, but the link will get you there.)

FWIW, I would not let maintenance or crab pots keep me from stabilizers. Maintenance mostly means inspecting and maybe replacing the seals every couple years and you can install line cutters or deflectors to keep the crab lines out. The benefits of stabilizers are hard to overstate.

Good luck with your search.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=6CNpgwazdyE
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
One more.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #6

Thanks Angus,
I'm not seeing much difference between the two hull shapes, at least from the pictures.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Living Waters
Vessel Model: 36' Grand Banks Classic
You might want to talk to Mark Bowerman, owner of Grace Yachting Group and he is also a CYB. He owns a Defever 48' as his own personal boat and he has been very helpful to me in answering tons of questions. His nickname here on the forum is: Daddyo
Fishing Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #8
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Have you talked to anyone at Jay Bettis?? And I will see that dude this weekend. I will check with him. He has a 2000ish 49CPMY with Perkins Sabres. He keeps talking about selling. I may buy it before you though!!!...
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
The 48 is less rolly. She has a lower center of gravity and less windage. The 48 is also a bit deeper in her forward section leading to the lower CG. The 48 is heavier leading to greater stability. I wouldn't be sitting here in this now downgraded hurricane if not for my comfort level in the 48. I have a 49 CPMY listed in MD and I'm confident that trip you describe is joy not a burden. It's why we own our boats :-)
Old 09-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Have you talked to anyone at Jay Bettis?? And I will see that dude this weekend. I will check with him. He has a 2000ish 49CPMY with Perkins Sabres. He keeps talking about selling. I may buy it before you though!!!...

Thanks Baker...sent you a PM
Old 09-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
The 48 is less rolly. She has a lower center of gravity and less windage. The 48 is also a bit deeper in her forward section leading to the lower CG. The 48 is heavier leading to greater stability. I wouldn't be sitting here in this now downgraded hurricane if not for my comfort level in the 48. I have a 49 CPMY listed in MD and I'm confident that trip you describe is joy not a burden. It's why we own our boats :-)
Thanks Daddyo,
I dug up a few more underbody pictures last night, and I agree that the D48 looks to have a little more displacement depth forward. Additionally, both the D48 and the 49CPMY seem to have a little more keel area, and the increase surface area should help a little dampening roll when at anchor.
I'll PM you a little later on another subject.
Thanks again for the input.
Luke