Old 08-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #41
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
.. I try to explain to patients how much better they will see after cataract surgery, but they never really understand until after they do it... they don't know why they waited so long to do it.
Eventually I knew I needed it, poor night vision (even worse than I realized),little need for sunglasses on bright days, little response to specs lenses adjustment, etc, it all made sense. After all the work up, the procedure is simple, the results near instant. I even renewed my driving license between the first and second eye ops,using no correcting lens.
On the question of night vision. When I was doing car rally competition, most events are run largely at night. I would carefully avoid bright light exposure during the day to protect my vision for the night. Did it work? I think it did, but it`s subjective.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #42
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
On the question of night vision. When I was doing car rally competition, most events are run largely at night. I would carefully avoid bright light exposure during the day to protect my vision for the night. Did it work? I think it did, but it`s subjective.
I am never one to argue with pre-race rituals. I've observed, and used them in sailing regattas, autocross races, and in running races. Ritual helps focus the mind for the upcoming contest.

However, we completely dark adapt in about 45 minutes, so the ritual in this case, didn't affect the eyes.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #43
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Hi Dave

I'm damn glad you joined and contribute in TF!

Thanks!! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #44

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrupp View Post
Thank you Dave for your professional insight in posts 28 and 31. Best posts on this thread.
Really helpful info here. Thanks to all contributors!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #45
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Just wanted to add a point (as another eye doc). Safety first when fishing... wear those sunglasses. Better to end up like a punk rocker with a hook through the eyebrow than having it one inch below. Polycarbonate lenses are the most shatter resistant; important when worn or if dropped. Used to love the old Varnet and Maui Jim glass lenses for optics, but now the new coatings (Crizal, etc.) have tremendous anti-scratch and anti-reflective properties, so the lightweight poly lenses make more sense. Polycarbonate is also UV absorbing, so it also protects the eye that way.
Most anything is better than nothing, after that the quality you would like and need are up to you. Sometimes things seem good enough until you try something better.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:48 PM   #46
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have photo grey glasses and the only place they fail is into the late sun on the boat. I have several of those cheap plastic sun glasses that slip on behind my regular lens. They are a wrap around design. They don't shade my photo grey lens so they are exposed to the full sunlight and darken. This is in addition to my glasses so running the boat into the sun is no problem.

So I use them only into the sun on the boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #47
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
Just wanted to add a point (as another eye doc). Safety first when fishing... wear those sunglasses. Better to end up like a punk rocker with a hook through the eyebrow than having it one inch below. Polycarbonate lenses are the most shatter resistant; important when worn or if dropped. Used to love the old Varnet and Maui Jim glass lenses for optics, but now the new coatings (Crizal, etc.) have tremendous anti-scratch and anti-reflective properties, so the lightweight poly lenses make more sense. Polycarbonate is also UV absorbing, so it also protects the eye that way.
Most anything is better than nothing, after that the quality you would like and need are up to you. Sometimes things seem good enough until you try something better.

Excellent point. A Fish hook in the eye is not conducive to continued ocular health.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 PM   #48
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Without questioning your professionalism doc, what do you consider seriously degraded vision past 50?

If the eye test for DOT physicals says 20/20...they don't seem too concerned abut my age. I can read charts fine. But some of that as you explained before is the difference between sight snd vision. Much of the time people hand me stuff to read the fine print, whether they are old, young, glasses or not.

What specifics should I be looking for to signal it's time for optical assistance?

Might have to get closer on a few items during daylight....it's night vision that I saw evaporate quickly when flying.
Maybe your Anisometropia.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #49
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Mine come from China for less than $10 delivered. Surprisingly good quality for the price.

Last weekend I saw a sailboat at Cuttyhunk.....sits between Buzzard's Bay and Vinyard Sound ....who's name was CHEAP SUNGLASSES! Didn't have a chance to talk to the guy although it was nice to see that my thoughts coincided with his boat's name.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

City: Steamboat Springs CO.
I'm kind of a sunglass ho.....for on the water I would use polarized lenses only. Simply for the glare reduction...

In my stable currently I have 2 sets of Spy polarized (ok) and one set of blue waters (fantastic) and if i were on the water I'd be wearing those...

Ch
man n black is offline   Reply With Quote