Let There Be Light!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spottsville

Vessel Name
Quiet Company
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH-47
I just replaced all my 12V cabin lights with LEDs. 4W-Warm Color-360 Lumens-15LED-G4 bulbs.
I purchased them from a China supplier (Ebay) it took 2 1/2 week form them to arrive but they were worth the wait. I was concerned they would not be bright enough but was pleasantly surprised in that they were brighter than the standard bulbs I replaced. Here is the link:

G4 3 4W 9 15 LED 5630 SMD Pure Warm White Spot Light Lamp Cabinet Bulb DC AC 12V | eBay

Here is the link to them and a few pictures:

Before
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420020444.413155.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420020481.022171.jpg

LED in place:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420020518.879476.jpg

LED in Package:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1420020553.858603.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Norm. I replaced a std bulb in a lamp in my salon with an LED and though the amount of light is about the same the draw is about a quarter.

Greetings,
Mr. S. VERY nice upgrade and excellent price. Thanks for the link. I recently replaced two bulkhead lamps with LED units. Good amount of light BUT my only concern is that, unlike your units, my units (about $90/fixture) appear to have the LED's permanently affixed to the housing so IF the LED ever dies, I'll have to replace the whole unit rather than just the light source. Hopefully they will last MY lifetime.

Been replacing the incandescents with LEDs in my house and the electricity savings have been significant. The normal cost comparisons are on wattage used by the light but they don't take into account the reduced requirements for air conditioning due to less heat being put out. In Florida the AC savings are significant. Same should apply to boats.

Another thing to look it is TVs. Replaced an 8 year old 50" plasma with a new 55" LED and the drop in electricity consumption and heat is amazing. If you have an older CRT or LCD TV on your boat, you might want to consider replacing that too.

Well I did not expect they were dimmable when I bought them but when I put one in my saloon (on a dimmer) they dimmed down just fine so I ordered another 30 to put in the master cabin and our saloon.

I am slowly redoing my lights both on the boat and on land

it is amazing the difference in the draw and the heat

I replaced most of my incandescent bulbs with China LED bulbs 3 years ago, only failure was one that was bad out of the box. I liveaboard 9 months of the year so they do get a lot of use and I'll agree on the AC savings because they barely get warm where as the incandescent would blister my finger if I touched the metal bell shaped housing to adjust the beam.

Same as Heron in the ER...plus some new LED dome lights in the staterooms and salon. I replaced the fluorescent lights' guts with LED strip lights and and am very pleased with the results. It's an easy project with the right components.

Thanks to skidgear for the guidance and advice!

img_295157_0_512c977916f22e2ad05ca590076444a5.jpg

img_295157_1_219d82f09515770d7bd417436ee068f8.jpg

img_295157_2_e71ddb21032dc77ee7687c737e44e451.jpg

Last edited:
FlyWright great to see the DIY possibilities. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom