Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Let me help you sell your boat!!!

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:Who the bloody heck poses a mannequin in their yachtworld photo shoot???

I thought that you guys thought staging a boat would be a good thing.* Now, that's staging!

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Let me help you sell your boat!!!

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:Since we are talking about marketing materials, I thought you all might enjoy this "classic" marketing video I found online quite some time ago of the hatteras 53:

For the period, this is a pretty good marketing video.* We have a very similar one in terms of style, music, etc., in our archives for the Boeing Model 377 Stratocruiser.* This was the airliner that was derived from the B-50 which in turn was derived from the B-29.* The Stratocruiser was a double-deck plane and featured a lounge on the lower deck accessed by a spiral staircase.* The promotional film--- it was made by Boeing--- calls out all the features and amenities of the plane.*

Like the Hatteras film it uses professional models to show off the "wonders" of flying in the Stratocruiser.** The scenes in the lower deck lounge are particularly interesting in today's world--- everyone down there is smoking up a storm and men lighting ladies' cigarettes is one of the main pieces of "business" the director came up with.

I particularly like this film because the first plane I ever flew on as little kid was a Pan Am Stratocruiser from San Francisco to Honolulu when we moved to Hawaii.* A flight attendant took me up to the flight deck (somewhere I still have the wings the captain gave me) but they wouldn't let me go down to the lounge because it was for "adults only."

An even more valuable film in our archives is a promotional film made for the Boeing Model 314 Clipper (flying boat).* Made just prior to WWII, this one is in color and shows all the aspects of flying in the plane, from a mechanic crawling out through the tube in he wing to "service" an engine in flight to a "porter" making up a passenger's berth.* Meal preparation and service, the navigator plotting courses on a chart, the whole Clipper "experience" is in the film.* There is no sound track, however.

I found the Hattaras film interesting because of the repeated reference to the one-piece fiberglass construction.* Fiberglass was a new material to the builders of large boats in the '70s and I expect the move to fiberglass was a really big deal at Hatteras.* One of the principle people in helping move Hatteras into fiberglass was Howard Abbey, who just prior to this had built the new fiberglass molds for American Marine's Grand Banks 36 and 42 models in Singapore and then spent a year personally supervising the layup of every GB hull.* Our hull is a "Howard Abbey" hull, and I have been told by a fellow whose father (the "Kong" in Kong & Halverson") was an engineer for American Marine, that the hulls made under Abbey's supervision are the best hulls the company every made.

We have a whole library of the type of music used in the Hattaras film and every now and then one of us gets the notion to resurrect it and try it in a new marketing video for the company, but so far we've not actually done it.* The current president of Boeing Commercial Airplanes is a major rock music fan, so we generally use something in that genre for anything that has to be approved by him.* When we made videos for Alan Mulally when he was the BCA president, we tended to use jazz or more contemporary music--- Alan isn't a hard rock fan.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 02:10:40 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	377.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	3869  
Attached Images

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

We just took our boat and house off of the market and decided to stay put and retire here.
(I really didn't want to go back to -35 and 4' of snow anyway.)

Both the boat brokers AND the Realtor! I can NOT tell you how many times we had to correct their spelling and grammar. (And IMO mine's nothing to write home about to begin with!)
carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Marin wrote:I particularly like this film because the first plane I ever flew on as little kid was a Pan Am Stratocruiser from San Francisco to Honolulu when we moved to Hawaii.*
Sigh, that brings back some old memories. Northest Orient from SEA to ANC on*a Stratocruiser. Arrived SEA from MSP on a DC-3.

Another round trip SEA ANC was DC-7C then NW's first 707 that if I remember correctly continued on to Tokyo.

How could a kid ever forget something like that?

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Yes * ...we'd drive all the way from the U district (no freeway then) to see the new jets take off. Right Rick * *..hav'nt forgotten that. That is a DC7 (SAS) in the background is'nt it?Seems to me the DC7 had 3350s and the B377 had even larger engines that were'nt as good. Never been on a 377. Would love to be near one taking off. Just north of Coffman Cove last summer a strange and wonderful thing happened. A beautiful DC3 came at me 200' over the water on a fine day and flew almost over my boat. I was fairly well thrilled.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:Seems to me the DC7 had 3350s and the B377 had even larger engines that were'nt as good.
The Boeing 367 (tanker) and 377 (passenger) had Pratt & Whitney R-4360 engines (Pratt's piston engine numbers are the cubic inch displacement of the engine).* It was a four-row radial--* seven cylinders per row for a total of 28 cylinders.* So fifty-six spark plugs per engine to change * And you're right, they were not as reliable as the Wright R-3350 TurboCompound engines that were used on competing planes like the DC-7 and the Lockheed Constellation.* The original R-3350s as used on the B-29s were not so good though--- very prone to engine fires in the early years.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #27
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

You all have truly taken hijacking a thread to an art form!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #28

City: South Puget Sound, WA

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Agreed

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Hey, anybody can stick to a single topic and discuss it ad nauseum.* It takes skill to morph a discussion around to include all sorts of interesting things.* It's the off-topic diversions that add spice to discussions of what otherwise would be pretty boring.*

Like stern ties.* Come on, it's a rope.* End of story.* But pepper a discussion of this rope with comments about the history of clipper ships (which used a lot of rope, hence the connection) and then have someone*else chime in with a description of*how the landing craft in WWII were designed to use stern anchors (on a rope) to pull themselves backwards off a beach under a hail of gunfire and you now have a lively discussion about*ropes off*the ass-end of boats that can be used for all sorts*of things.

Then RTF*will*chime in with how*he's trained his attack slug to*take his stern line ashore, run it*through the ring, and bring it back to the boat, and that will lead to*someone's talking about their St. John's dog that does the same thing plus wipes down the boat's bottom, and now we've got something going that's worth reading.

FF will come in with*how you*can make a stern tie line from a wiring harness salvaged from a*'56 Chevy and RickB will explain the finer points of judging the working strength of a stern line relative to the Beaufort scale of wind strength.** Eric will question the*entire notion of tying*a stern line to the stern--- perhaps the bow would make more sense-- and what started as a humdrum question about a rope is now a lively debate.

And I'll figure out how to write a way-too-long commentary of little relevance at all.

In the end you'll have more information about stern ties than you thought existed plus be qualified to be on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" and probably win.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

" Come on, it's a rope."

Come on Marin it's a line. Chapman's the bible and it says line.

"I'll figure out how to write a way-too-long commentary of little relevance at all."

You've been doing that for years. Fact is Tony and Bud we've been hijack'in threads for years too. Guess we've gotten pretty lax. Come on Marin these new guys wana play propper. But I don't wana do without attack slugs an all de odder stuff we do like kinda from the hip. Is it hip to hijack? Come on Marin how a bout a few days on the wagon w
no hijack'in for the newbies. I'm in for 3 days.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #31
Guru

you all crack me up. Marin- Eric's got you on this one I do believe. However.....
That does beg the question though....when exactly does a rope become a line and can a line revert back to a rope? By going to shore for a stern tie, does the line then become a rope? yet it remains attached to or otherwise connected to the transom of the boat, which would make it remain a line.

Can a line be both a rope AND a line AT THE SAME TIME?????
Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Hatteras have always been fiberglass.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #33
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Can a line be both a rope AND a line AT THE SAME TIME?????
When it's on the spool, it's rope. When it's a designated part of your boat outfitting, it's a line. Final answer.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #34
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

There is only one rope on a boat.
all others are lines, but you ring the bell with a rope.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #35

When does a rope become a line? When does a thread become hijacked? I think it all happens at about the same time and we are all the better for it.

This is a great site with a lot of great input and that doesn't mean it needs to be directly on point with the thread. Good stuff!!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

" Come on, it's a rope."

Come on Marin it's a line. Chapman's the bible and it says line.

Chapman's just a guy.* A dead guy at that--- 1871-1976.** His seamanship book is based primarily on articles he wrote for Motor Boating Magazine starting in 1912.* (True, look it up.)* Chapman's is a useful book for beginners, no question-- we bought a copy not long after getting our GB---*but I certainly don't regard it as the last word in boating.* In fact in the twelve-plus years we've been running our GB I haven't found Chapman's to be of much value at all with regards to infomation we actually need to operate our boat.* We've found much quicker and more up to date sources for the information we've had to look up.

P.S.* I know a rope is called a line, but I didn't learn it from Chapman
Old 12-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #37
Guru

Keith, after googling and reading wikipedia's entry on rope, i must disagree with you. Here is the wikipedia site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rope
If you scroll towards the bottom of that you will see it's discussion on "line." According to wikipedia, a rope is the manufactured product. Once it is cut, splice, put into a specific purpose, they say it is then a line. So to wikipedia, creation of a specific purpose is what causes a rope to become a line. I think I philosophically agree with that line of reasoning, yet all land people continue to call lines "ropes." It's like they fail the acknowledge the designated purpose of the line and refuse to grant them linehood.

I still think a line can revert back to a rope, much the same way a rope can become a line.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:31:51 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #38
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

Hatteras have always been fiberglass.
There is a large Hatteras in our marina--- don't know the model but it's at least 50 feet long.* It was featured in one of the local boating magazines awhile back (Nor'westing).**I*don't know the year it was made but as I recall it has a wood hull.* However in searching the web I cannot find any reference to wood-hulled Hatteras boats.* So I dunno....

The wording of the interview I read with*Howard Abbey about his role with Hatteras was just that--- he helped get*Hatteras into fiberglass.* However this may have meant that when Hatteras started up, Abbey was instrumental in helping them with their fiberglass work.* Abbey with a couple of other people were the primary people who got American boatbuilders into fiberglass. As such they were the early "gurus" in this material.* I assumed Hatteras, like American Marine,*had been building in wood prior to getting into fiberglass but this may well not have been the case.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:42:22 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #39
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
koliver wrote:

There is only one rope on a boat.
all others are lines, but you ring the bell with a rope.
But what you refer to as a rope, is not on the boat. It is on the bell, therefore not on the boat.*
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #40

Quote:
Marin wrote:---*but I certainly don't regard it as the last word in boating.* In fact in the twelve-plus years we've been running our GB I haven't found Chapman's to be of much value at all with regards to infomation we actually need to operate our boat.*
Now that's a bummer.* I think I'm getting a copy of*the 167th edition of Chapmans for Christmas.* Well maybe I can sit on it to see over the bow.