Lessons we learned at the Lido Show...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 4,000 miles into the great loop and spend a lot of time with people who use their boats all day every day. My impression is that the pilot house folks really love the design. When you live on a boat, the ability to get away from each other is as important as seaworthiness. The layout also tends to work well for indoor entertaining. While I really like my double cabin, flybridge, lower helm in the saloon design, I can certainly see the appeal of the pilot house.

I urge you to have a clear vision about how you will use the boat. The beautiful boat with the large interior is often a horrible choice for long range cruising. Conversely, a perfect LRC can be an awful dock queen.

I grew up in Southern California and have boated there. I have cruised the San Juan Islands, Caribbean, and now the east coast, Great Lakes, and the river system. For those of you in SoCal,I mean no offense, but you have nowhere to go. Weekends in Catalina can get old fast. I mention this because, in my opinion, as live aboards your boat isn't likely to move often or far. With that in mind, I would make comfort the primary objective.

If on the other hand you are looking to do long range cruises, then consider spending time with folks that use their boats that way. Have your Admiral talk to the women who cruise. What they want in a boat changes a lot once underway. They will be happy to have you aboard and share their experiences.

Best of luck, fair winds, and have fun,
Arch

Thats proven true for us, actually better than expected as my wife who is now working remotely is able to set up her computer, printer scanner and fax and calls from the pilothouse while I work elsewhere on the boat doing engine work,etc, etc.

She feels like it is her office and when under way she can still work away while I run the boat and yet she is able to jump behind the wheel while I am on engine room checks etc.

No boat is everything and the stairway down from the pilothouse could be an issue for some but we are still young (relatively) :dance:

There's a 2001 4788 at Portifino Harbour Marina at Clear Lake Texas. Came in from Myrtle Beach. SC a couple of months ago. His previous boat was a 4087.
I can't believe OJ is still alive. WHERE? Do you know he was the SORC champion for years- and was known as 'The Mouth of the South' before Ted Turner? Boy he set me straight in the way's of the REAL world- REAL quick back in 1974. He would sit behind his tinted window overlooking the yard and yell out me on the PA speaker "Davis, I see you hiding over there you lazy MF, SOB, get back to work". It's solely because of him that I came into sales-to get out of the heat! After getting yelled at repeatedly in that brutal New Orleans sun, one day, after having to walk through the air conditioned office to get to the time clock one morning, I noticed these guys just sitting in there reading magazines. I asked him: "OJ, who are those guys?"..He said Yachtbrokers, and I said "THAT'S what I want to do", and just like that he said "come in on Saturday dressed like one and you can be one", and just like that he started treating me decently. And here I was fresh out of college a couple of years thinking people were all equal. HA. Lesson learned. I would like to contact OJ to thank him.
RE: Tollycrafts. Yes, indeed I know them, but they made so many models of so many different sizes over so many years it would be impossible to form a average opinion on them. Sorta like asking:"what do you think about brunettes?"..I have MANY thoughts on them! lol The Tolly's are all old now for sure, as are my brunettes- THIS I can emphatically state. I just looked on Yachtworld and there's several REAL nice bonafide Gold Platers on the market right now. As nice as they are- buyers will buy a 2010 boat of the same size for the same price if given the opportunity. New ain't bad when it comes to machines.

Some of the finest 'Gold Platers' I've seen in recent years have been Tolly's in the 57' -65' range. Just total gems. Real gentleman yachts kept in tip top condition. Vestiges of the days when millionaires weren't so common. Old Money I guess it would be called. Yachtsmen who wore blue blazers, and dipped the colors at sunset, etc.
I've also seen some really sweet little one's under 30' in Bellingham Wa.

The one's that I've been on built towards the end of Tollycraft years (thinking 97"ish"- I remember a dealership here having a big new one for sale. I still have a bunch of Tollycraft literature) I wasn't too impressed with. I know we were supposed to be impressed with her, but it just sorta fell flat. The head was way back on the lower deck, down too many stairs- is something I still remember.
Recently I had a mid 90's 45' Cockpit MY for sale, and it REALLY fell flat design wise (engine room just impossibly tight) and it had an awful white ash interior. Very hard to get on and off. Cockpit stairs too steep, had to get on your knees to use the microwave, etc. Gel coat was weak (want to see excellent gel-coat? Go look at Chris Crafts even from the 60's! Still like new even in Florida brutal sunlight), carpentry was not what one would expect from the name Tollycraft. It previously had blisters, it had lots of Lexan, which was crazing,which is what Lexan does no matter what it's on. I would had thought it was just a old Taiwan boat if I didn't know it was a Tollycraft.
AND it was pretty damn light too! The previous owner had spent a fortune on her (blister job, one new Caterpillar diesel, etc.,) and finally donated her to a charity. She went for under $100k.

Last edited:
55' Carvers, Bayliners, Marquis, Meridians, Ocean Alexanders and Searays are built with very large engines not designed to be run day in and day out at 1200 or 1400 RPM.
Really? So you're saying that the Cat 3406C's in my boat won't stand up to continuous hours at those rpm's. Interesting. I'd bet there are a lot of over the road truckers who would disagree with you.

Before I bought my boat I talked with several diesel repair companies and 2 Cat dealer repair shops about those engines. All said basically the same thing, that the 3406C engines were designed to run a million miles over the road before a major overhaul was needed. Keep 'em full of clean oil and feed 'em clean fuel and they run forever.

Blake - - > Glad to see you had that COP O' COFFEE!! :thumb:

Tollycraft lost their good build quality soon after Mr Tolly sold in late 80's. :nonono:

Early 70's to mid 80's were their real good construction build-out heyday! Before that was OK and after got progressive cheaper builds until Tollycraft went broke under new owners. That's da way id goes! :eek:

Ours is a 1977... built like a BSH... fun to own, cruise, and hook! :dance:

Really? So you're saying that the Cat 3406C's in my boat won't stand up to continuous hours at those rpm's. Interesting. I'd bet there are a lot of over the road truckers who would disagree with you.

Before I bought my boat I talked with several diesel repair companies and 2 Cat dealer repair shops about those engines. All said basically the same thing, that the 3406C engines were designed to run a million miles over the road before a major overhaul was needed. Keep 'em full of clean oil and feed 'em clean fuel and they run forever.

Premature engine failure due to "wet stacking" is one of the most misquoted things we see with diesel engines.

Even "experts" sometimes jump on the bandwagon, yet nobody seems to be able to produce all the modern diesels that have died from underloading.

Thats because they're still in service! :blush:

There's a 2001 4788 at Portifino Harbour Marina at Clear Lake Texas. Came in from Myrtle Beach. SC a couple of months ago. His previous boat was a 4087.
I can't believe OJ is still alive. WHERE? Do you know he was the SORC champion for years- and was known as 'The Mouth of the South' before Ted Turner? Boy he set me straight in the way's of the REAL world- REAL quick back in 1974. He would sit behind his tinted window overlooking the yard and yell out me on the PA speaker "Davis, I see you hiding over there you lazy MF, SOB, get back to work". It's solely because of him that I came into sales-to get out of the heat! After getting yelled at repeatedly in that brutal New Orleans sun, one day, after having to walk through the air conditioned office to get to the time clock one morning, I noticed these guys just sitting in there reading magazines. I asked him: "OJ, who are those guys?"..He said Yachtbrokers, and I said "THAT'S what I want to do", and just like that he said "come in on Saturday dressed like one and you can be one", and just like that he started treating me decently. And here I was fresh out of college a couple of years thinking people were all equal. HA. Lesson learned. I would like to contact OJ to thank him.
RE: Tollycrafts. Yes, indeed I know them, but they made so many models of so many different sizes over so many years it would be impossible to form a average opinion on them. Sorta like asking:"what do you think about brunettes?"..I have MANY thoughts on them! lol The Tolly's are all old now for sure, as are my brunettes- THIS I can emphatically state. I just looked on Yachtworld and there's several REAL nice bonafide Gold Platers on the market right now. As nice as they are- buyers will buy a 2010 boat of the same size for the same price if given the opportunity. New ain't bad when it comes to machines.

Some of the finest 'Gold Platers' I've seen in recent years have been Tolly's in the 57' -65' range. Just total gems. Real gentleman yachts kept in tip top condition. Vestiges of the days when millionaires weren't so common. Old Money I guess it would be called. Yachtsmen who wore blue blazers, and dipped the colors at sunset, etc.
I've also seen some really sweet little one's under 30' in Bellingham Wa.

The one's that I've been on built towards the end of Tollycraft years (thinking 97"ish"- I remember a dealership here having a big new one for sale. I still have a bunch of Tollycraft literature) I wasn't too impressed with. I know we were supposed to be impressed with her, but it just sorta fell flat. The head was way back on the lower deck, down too many stairs- is something I still remember.
Recently I had a mid 90's 45' Cockpit MY for sale, and it REALLY fell flat design wise (engine room just impossibly tight) and it had an awful white ash interior. Very hard to get on and off. Cockpit stairs too steep, had to get on your knees to use the microwave, etc. Gel coat was weak (want to see excellent gel-coat? Go look at Chris Crafts even from the 60's! Still like new even in Florida brutal sunlight), carpentry was not what one would expect from the name Tollycraft. It previously had blisters, it had lots of Lexan, which was crazing,which is what Lexan does no matter what it's on. I would had thought it was just a old Taiwan boat if I didn't know it was a Tollycraft.
AND it was pretty damn light too! The previous owner had spent a fortune on her (blister job, one new Caterpillar diesel, etc.,) and finally donated her to a charity. She went for under $100k.

Yep, he is still at it. Now he drives a golf cart around and stops at every boat to yell at whoever is working on it. They guys take it in stride. He really does have a great bunch working for him...best in the area. There is some mutual respect in there somewhere or they wouldn't put up with him. He does not own Seabrook Shipyard but does all of the work there. It is kind of a good deal for his customers because his quotes include haul out and block and storage fees. So the longer it takes, the less money he makes. So he is cracking the whip to get those jobs out on time. He doesn't f**k around. Definitely a legendary character!!! His number is 7138281449. That will ring straight to his cell.

Really? So you're saying that the Cat 3406C's in my boat won't stand up to continuous hours at those rpm's.

As Ronald Reagan said years ago, "well there he goes again." Nowhere did I say that engines would suffer early demise if run slow. I said the engines were not designed to be run at 1200 RPM. Look up the BSFC on the 3406 and as Cat intended the sweet spot for fuel efficiency is several hundred RPM higher, or perfect for their intended purpose - gensets. Thousands of them I might add were built for this purpose.

Last edited:
As Ronald Reagan said years ago, "well there he goes again." Nowhere did I say that engines would suffer early demise if run slow. I said the engines were not designed to be run slow. Look up the BSFC on the 3406 and as Cat intended the sweet spot for fuel efficiency is about 1800 RPM, or perfect for their intended purpose - gensets. Thousands of them I might add were built for this purpose.

so im curious...

If an engine wont fail early if its run slow

if the owner is willing to live with the slightly higher fuel consumption of having a oversized engine

if the owner is willing to put forth the slightly increased maintenance (ie aftercooler) costs of a larger engine

then

what is the challenge with an engine that is llarge enough to get the boat cruising at a faster pace again?

Blake - - > Glad to see you had that COP O' COFFEE!! :thumb:

Tollycraft lost their good build quality soon after Mr Tolly sold in late 80's. :nonono:

Early 70's to mid 80's were their real good construction build-out heyday! Before that was OK and after got progressive cheaper builds until Tollycraft went broke under new owners. That's da way id goes! :eek:

Ours is a 1977... built like a BSH... fun to own, cruise, and hook! :dance:

Like this one? This yacht was in bristol condition!!

Attachments

• tollycraft.jpg
    tollycraft.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 263
Like this one? This yacht was in bristol condition!!

Yeah, Blake - That's the one! Bad ass, cool 34' classic boats!

Totally strong fiberglass all over. Stringers, transom etc - NO Wood in Hull. Bottom up to 1.5" thick expertly hand laid FRP. Roomy as heck w/ interior to die for! Clean bottom and depending on load aboard, w/ 350 cid 255 hp twins... Cruises from below hull speed (6 to 6.5 knts) on one engine getting 2.75 to 3 nmpg / Around hull speed (7.58 knts) on twins at 2 nmpg / Full plane (16 to 17 knts) 1 nmpg / WOT (22 to 23 knts) at OMG nmpg! LOL

Can we spell inexpensive, hassel free general boating FUN!

Attachments

• Salon Astern.jpg
    Salon Astern.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 125
  • TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Ladder 100_0432.jpg
    Ladder 100_0432.jpg