Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #21

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
My boat is 38' LOA not counting the swim platform or pulpit. It's 42' counting the swim platform and pulpit. It's called a 37 (Sabre makes a 38' and wouldn't let Back Cove call theirs a 38' also) and has a nice little 37 emblem on the side. This comes in handy when renting a slip for the night. I tell my pals that have SeaRays that if my boat was a SeaRay, it would be called a 42'.

BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #22
Guru

City: gulf coast
Traditionally LOD was boat length. Bolt on stuff was not included. Then FG boat makers got smart and included pulpits and platforms into the mold. Now it was all one piece and what was a 39' boat became 45'. Everybody was happy. The maker sold a bigger boat, the buyer got bragging rights. Later the buyer would meet up with a friend on a classically measured 42' boat and wonder WTF why is my boat so much smaller??

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #23
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Traditionally LOD was boat length. Bolt on stuff was not included. Then FG boat makers got smart and included pulpits and platforms into the mold. Now it was all one piece and what was a 39' boat became 45'. Everybody was happy. The maker sold a bigger boat, the buyer got bragging rights. Later the buyer would meet up with a friend on a classically measured 42' boat and wonder WTF why is my boat so much smaller??
Years ago I had a 1996 Maxum express. First model year of the boat
They called it a SCR 3900. The next year they came out with a new model
SCR 4100. By now you know where this is going. Yep the exact same boat with a very nice price increase.

Before I sold the boat it became a 4100.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: I've heard...of course innocent lil' me wouldn't know.....but men, excluding my hubby, tend to exaggerate length.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #25
Guru

You see some very interesting labeling. For instance, Fleming added a 58' between the 55 and 65. So you'd logically think it's a little closer to the 55 than the 65. But it's Hull LOA is 62'9" and total LOA is 65'9". Why they chose to label it a 58, I have no earthly idea. But the first comment of reviewers has been it felt much larger. Well, duh, it is.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
We not only have the perfect boat... we also have perfect times aboard! Our slip is perfect too!!

We enjoy haven the perfect life.

Happy Perfect Daze! - Art
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
LOA, according to the USCG and other reputable sources (Chapman's, Dictionary of Nautical Knowledge, etc.) is the length measured from the forward most part of the stem to the aftermost part of the transom, NOT including swim platforms, bow pulpits, or anything else protruding from the hull. The single exception is when the swim platform is part of the molded hull structure, in which case it is included. LOA is among quite a few nautical terms which, colloquially, are often used incorrectly. This official definition will be lost on our dull friends who operate boat yards and marinas, so you may well consider not even butting your head against that brick wall.
The Coast Guard is concerned about interior volume while marinas are concerned with the size needed to fit berth/dock. There is a reason marinas are "dull."

My boat's builder variously describes the boat's length as 35, 35'8", and 36 feet. The hull is 35'8" long but the overall length including folded swim step and bow pulpit is about 38 feet.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We not only have the perfect boat... we also have perfect times aboard! Our slip is perfect too!!

We enjoy haven the perfect life.

Happy Perfect Daze! - Art
We feel we do as well. Or way too close to perfect for us to ever complain. Now that perspective sure helps. It helps me personally in so many ways. I don't find myself disturbed by the imperfect aspects of life. So, the drive through messed up my order...again. That only destroys my perfect life if I let it do so. My wife reads my mind and knows what I'm thinking, but I resist saying those thoughts and I get a kiss and compliment for it.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:29 PM   #29
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We feel we do as well. Or way too close to perfect for us to ever complain. Now that perspective sure helps. It helps me personally in so many ways. I don't find myself disturbed by the imperfect aspects of life. So, the drive through messed up my order...again. That only destroys my perfect life if I let it do so. My wife reads my mind and knows what I'm thinking, but I resist saying those thoughts and I get a kiss and compliment for it.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #30
FF
Guru

On much of the AICW , you can stick whatever you like on the side of the boat , and they will still come with a tape measure.

From anchor tip to a dink in a davit , LOA is just that ,LENGTH OVERALL!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #31
Art
Guru

I make it easy-pizzie at our dock. We simply rent a 40 X 16' covered slip for our 36'6" loa X 12'6" beam Tolly!
Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
I make it easy-pizzie at our dock. We simply rent a 40 X 16' covered slip for our 36'6" loa X 12'6" beam Tolly!
That does seem simple, although we once picked up a 70' slip for a 63' boat that measures including all extras 64'2". And the kid comes out to measure. I tried to turn it into a learning experience for him but failed. I asked him, "do you know the size of the slip?" "Yes, it's 70'". Then I said, "well now look at the front and the back of the boat. Aren't they both inside the slip?" "Yes". I then say "Well, then you know without measuring that they are less than 70' and so you charge for 70' don't you?" And here's the answer. "Yes, but I still need to measure." Turns out it was the dockmaster's rule as he just didn't feel he could trust the dockhands to make any judgement on their own.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 AM   #33

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Do words really have meaning, or is this just a dream? Thank you CP for the correction. You beat me to it.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That does seem simple, although we once picked up a 70' slip for a 63' boat that measures including all extras 64'2". And the kid comes out to measure. I tried to turn it into a learning experience for him but failed. I asked him, "do you know the size of the slip?" "Yes, it's 70'". Then I said, "well now look at the front and the back of the boat. Aren't they both inside the slip?" "Yes". I then say "Well, then you know without measuring that they are less than 70' and so you charge for 70' don't you?" And here's the answer. "Yes, but I still need to measure." Turns out it was the dockmaster's rule as he just didn't feel he could trust the dockhands to make any judgement on their own.
OMG - and - LOL!
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
OMG - and - LOL!
Well, it gave my wife a lot of giggles at the time. Basically at me...she whispered..."another failed teaching effort."
Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM   #36
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I am sure the dock hand was frustrated unless he was one of the reasons in the marina business that the workers AREN'T TRUSTED with much...and for a variety of reasons.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I am sure the dock hand was frustrated unless he was one of the reasons in the marina business that the workers AREN'T TRUSTED with much...and for a variety of reasons.
Well, my wife claimed he wasn't there for measuring anyway, just to look at girls in skimpy bikini's. Something told me he was just one of those kids who sort of wondered through the world and didn't think a lot. But a nice boy and as he matures might be a great worker.