Lehman 135 belt guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ravencapt

Vessel Name
Raven
Vessel Make
Present 42 Sundeck
I am putting my Present 42 sundeck up for sale and had a survey. One of the things they pointed out was that I don't have belt guards on the engines.

I have owned my boat for 23 years, and my best friend 12 before that and we have never heard of an alternator belt guard for the 135 Lehman. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks very much for your help.

Easy enough to make one. If thats all he's found, just do it. Make a pattern, use a hyundai hood.

Thanks for the reply. He found a few other things but I have addressed most of those. I thought maybe I would have to do that but wanted to check and see if anyone on here has found them.

What are you saying to use?

I am putting my Present 42 sundeck up for sale and had a survey. One of the things they pointed out was that I don't have belt guards on the engines.

I have owned my boat for 23 years, and my best friend 12 before that and we have never heard of an alternator belt guard for the 135 Lehman. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks very much for your help.

My insurance company pulled the same on me. Boat originally had a 135 Lehman but a 120 was put in as a replacement. Neither had a belt guard.

Based on my resume' I often told them that their request to make me reconfigure a 30 plus year old boat was out of the question for practicality.

I explained my boating and safety background and showed them it was near impossible to get between the genset and the belt section of my engine.

They said fine, no need to modify.

Can't say for you or your boat engine room layout. It may be easier to bolt a screen to the boat structure than the engine if they push back hard.

Mine has one. I have thought about removing it. Almost impossible to get in front of.

I just had the serpentine belts changed on my 6CTAs. There is about 4” in front of the engines. It took 2 mechanics to do the change since it was so tight. I almost told them not to put the belt guards back on since there isn’t really any way to get caught up in the belt but I decided to leave them on just for safety.

Is a guard difficult to remove and replace?

Is a guard difficult to remove and replace?

Depends...usually a couple bolts but it's where those bolts are that can be a real challenge.

If you have access then they are simple to remove. As said usually a couple of bolts, maybe 3. But access is the key.

I have one. I put it on around 2000 when I last changed the belt.

I'll be replacing the belt this year so I can let you know how hard it was to pull the cover.

I don't remember it being difficult to install. It's made of fiberglass. I painted it red to match the engine.

I have one. I put it on around 2000 when I last changed the belt.

I'll be replacing the belt this year so I can let you know how hard it was to pull the cover.

I don't remember it being difficult to install. It's made of fiberglass. I painted it red to match the engine.

Start a new thread and post pictures. That would be a good "How To" thread.
And you might state how you got (or where you bought) the belt guard.

Mine is expanded metal grate.

I don't have a picture of it. Would not be hard to make though. Heavy duty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom