Is it legal to throw my old rusted out holding tank overboard offshore? If so how fa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate your thoughts jb weld isn't a bad suggestion! More than anything I just need a body or two before I can do anything and I'm not getting any offers. Haven't heard from Billy in Homestead who did offer. Left my phone but nothing yet. Everybody here just seems to have to have their hands full with their own stuff. The damage here is extensive and overwhelming. Any pros are backed up for many weeks. I may just have to wait until I heal up enough to do it myself... Could be worse... Maybe a radiator sealant might work too!

My solution offshore seemed like an option if I had some bodies but now I'm afraid a liberal might shoot me if they hear about it...

Well, there should not be much pressure head in the tank (only 0.35psi when full), so possible to seal leak, at least temporarily. Suggest draining completely, cleaning external areas and wrapping leaking edge(s) with polythene sheet over JB Weld. An alternative might be to try epoxy resin and fiberglass matting. Given the situation, can not do any harm to try.
Perhaps others have better suggestions for a quick temporary fix??

Have you considered trying to repair in place???
Seems like you are going through a lot of **** right now!!
Perhaps it is worth trying a temporary fix with JB Weld or similar??
Plus, who is watching what happens at 12 miles out unless you are in the illegal alien high traffic route??

At the very least it would seem a temporary patch of some sort would work.

While I agree his risk at 12 miles is minimum, it actually is a high traffic, heavily watched area for both drugs and immigrants, so the Coast Guard is very much aware of boats and what they're doing. A boat running to an open area, stopping there for a while, then returning to shore might actually lead to an inspection and questions on the way back. Very low odds, but always possible.

My solution offshore seemed like an option if I had some bodies but now I'm afraid a liberal might shoot me if they hear about it...

You overlook the fact that most liberals are anti-gun so not likely to shoot you. You really seem hung up on this liberal thing.

I haven't spent much time boating in Florida but I'm certainly getting an interesting sense of the..."boat-owner diversity" that comes with Mooring vs Marina. We don't really have any mooring fields along the Texas coast.

Thanks Chrisjs...

There is nothing wrong with dumping something 12mi out. Heck, an 800' ship sank out there two years ago and the world did not end. And WW2, how much debris ended up in the oceans? Perspective...

I was just down in the keys last week unloading flooded crap from the downstairs of my folks Cudjoe house. Lugged it out and piled it up. At this particular time, you could get that tank off the boat and just find a pile and dump it off. No one will blink an eye. A week from now might be different...

Bigfish - probably not the best day to reference political positions and shooting people.

Hey Ski. Thanks for the perspective. I finally had someone offer to help me tomorrow to at least get at and assess the tank issue. Mt. Trashmore here in Marathon will dwarf my tank. Getting on land is the difficult part. Floating it to shore might be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom