Old 08-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Left my boat in Stuart. Is that a good spot?

After our Bahamas trip I decided to leave the boat in Stuart for awhile. Partly because I was too tired to consider bringing back to Texas, and partly because I thought the town of Stuart was a cool place and thought my wife and I would enjoy visiting there and using the boat as a "condo". Also, I thought we might possibly do another Bahamas cruise this winter, but that's probably not going to happen due my youngest son being a senior in HS with lots of activities, girlfriend, etc.-- we won't really have the time to wait on a weather window for crossing I'm afraid.

What would be some other interesting cruising destinations during the fall/winter in this area?
Miami? Guess I could cruise back through the Okeechobee waterway and visit Healhustler and help him on some projects.

I'm used to the boat being an hour away, so I'm already missing the ability to drive out and piddle around on it, so I'm not sure I can handle this long distance relationship for long.

An observation: Maybe this is just me, but the water in Stuart sure is gross looking, and it sure does grow lots of barnacles.

cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
Guru

City: East Coast
You should know that it is hurricane season in FL and many insurance companies or policies exclude coverage in FL during hurricane season.

Other than that, your boat has to be someplace so Stuart is probably as good as anywhere. Personally, I like having my boat near my home.

WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. EXACTLY what Mr. WK said. Hurricane season, insurance etc. Keep your eye on this one...NOT Gert, the one coming in from off the coast of Africa.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5
Old 08-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Guru

Damn. Already?

My plan for a hurricane is either tie it up as best I can and hope for the best, or scramble and move it to to a dock on Lake Okeechobee if I have the time.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Damn. Already?

My plan for a hurricane is either tie it up as best I can and hope for the best, or scramble and move it to to a dock on Lake Okeechobee if I have the time.
Locals are likely to have inland tied up by the time you decide to make a move. Indiantown Marina has land storage but you better get in touch with them now if you want a spot.

Many marinas make you leave if there's a hurricane coming to protect their facility.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Damn. Already?

You might try River Forest. Florida's Indoor/Outdoor Boat & Yacht Storage & Service Facilities

Just above the first lock on the Okkee waterway, and fresh water so no barnacles.
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 01. "Damn. Already?" Yup. June 1st 'til the end of November. As you well know, may be NO activity what-so ever or....

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Other than grabbing a quick flight and moving/lashing the boat down there's not much you can do but wait. Maybe wait for nothing. Usually, the early storms run into the Gulf and the later ones up the east coast but ALL the figures and predictions are only based on statistics after all...Just saw Mr WK's post and I agree. If you're that worried, act sooner rather than later.

That being said, the disturbance I mentioned in post #3 looks "interesting".
Old 08-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Damn. Already?

Best plan considering where the boat is and where you live is making sure at all times it's tied for hurricanes and being in a good marina. Now, do make sure you don't have any negative hurricane clauses in your insurance contract. Considering you were already in a hurricane zone, it's not likely you do, but be sure.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #9
Guru

Flying into an anticipated hurricane is generally not a great strategy compared to remaining safe at home with family. Moving the boat out of a hurricane area by the time you arrive and considering it's speed, likely to be difficult and possibly dangerous.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Flying into an anticipated hurricane is generally not a great strategy compared to remaining safe at home with family. Moving the boat out of a hurricane area by the time you arrive and considering it's speed, likely to be difficult and possibly dangerous.

That's kind of what I was thinking.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #11

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossland View Post
You might try River Forest. Florida's Indoor/Outdoor Boat & Yacht Storage & Service Facilities

Just above the first lock on the Okkee waterway, and fresh water so no barnacles.
THIS

Cardude, these guys offer a hurricane club service. Guaranteed a haul out spot before a storm. Sounds like great insurance to have in an area far from home. Several insurance companies will reimburse your expenses for a storm haul out! Please call your marina to check on their named storm policy. Most all in that area will mandate your evacuation 2 days before a storm . This option will delete a lot of stress on your part knowing exactly what to do with your boat if a storm does threaten it.
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Consider making your next cruise to the NE of Florida. Lots of local cruising spots and, while not Hurricane proof, the last one was in the early sixties.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:48 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Many marinas make you leave if there's a hurricane coming to protect their facility.
Illegal to do so in Florida - even if an owner waives his right to stay.

State decided it was better to have a marina damaged that to have lives put at risk moving boats around.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:02 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Illegal to do so in Florida - even if an owner waives his right to stay.

State decided it was better to have a marina damaged that to have lives put at risk moving boats around.

Yeah,they don't make folks move boats-- I asked. It's at Sunset Bay Marina-- looks like a decent facility. Floating docks.

I could make Indiantown Marina fairly easily if a storm was coming and get hauled out I supposed. How much more protected is that though? Isn't Indiantown BEFORE the lock?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #15
Guru

Have a look at the American Custom Yachts facility up the St Lucie river. Its a huge facility for boats on the hard. Google map the facility for a look-see.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragin cajun View Post
THIS

Cardude, these guys offer a hurricane club service. Guaranteed a haul out spot before a storm. Sounds like great insurance to have in an area far from home. Several insurance companies will reimburse your expenses for a storm haul out! Please call your marina to check on their named storm policy. Most all in that area will mandate your evacuation 2 days before a storm . This option will delete a lot of stress on your part knowing exactly what to do with your boat if a storm does threaten it.
It's actually illegal in Florida to mandate evacuation.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #17
Guru

Wish I had said that!
Old 08-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Yeah,they don't make folks move boats-- I asked. It's at Sunset Bay Marina-- looks like a decent facility. Floating docks.

I could make Indiantown Marina fairly easily if a storm was coming and get hauled out I supposed. How much more protected is that though? Isn't Indiantown BEFORE the lock?
No, Indiantown is beyond St. Lucie Lock. It would all depend on how far in advance you knew. If you knew three days in advance, that means a day flying in, a day moving the boat, then a flight out, assuming flights are still running. It's a risky game.

Stuart was last hit in 2005 with 105 mph winds, so a CAT 2. Hurricane Jeanne in 2004 was a CAT 3.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Dude

Sunset Marina is a great place to keep your boat. The dockmaster will work with you to protect your boat and the docks are new. The only thing I found is that I needed the bottom cleaned every three weeks recently, locals blame it on the lake water bring released. Those barnacles grow reall fast and the slime is terrible.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #20
Guru

Folks tied their boats up at Dawtaw Marina in SC for hurricane Mathew. The water floated the docks over the pilings and boats and docks were washed away. Boats ended up all over the place, mostly ruined.

The marina has not reopened yet and may never reopen.

So in FL it's illegal to make you move. Moving may be the wiser move.