Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Lampasas Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 58
Led

I am looking to replace some 12vdc 15watt compact bulbs that have E26 (medium)bases with LED lights.
I would like to increase the output from the 15 watts to whatever I can get but still keep the compact bulb size to fit my existing fixtures.
I see some on Amazon but the ones that seem to be the right match don't give the dimensions of the bulbs and I canít be certain looking at their pictures.
My existing bulbs have no neck area, just bulb. They look about the size of a red clown nose and only 2 1/2 inches from base to end of bulb.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
__________________
Advertisement

BonesD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
Guru
 
menzies's Avatar
 
City: Jacksonville
Country: USA
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,952
Have a look here:

https://store.marinebeam.com/
__________________

menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #3
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,581
https://www.superbrightleds.com/

Here's a source I have used in the past.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,894
I have some adapters that go from an E26 to the standard G4 LED replacement emitters. My recollection is that they screwed flush with the fixture. I nolonger use them, and need to get rid of them (raise the boat's waterline). How many do you need (I'll give them to you if they will work for you)?

I'm 3 days away from the boat, so will have to check how many I have when I get back.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
City: Lampasas Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 58
jleonard & Menzies, for the links. I will take a look.
Ted is this what you are describing? (see picture)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	581D4732-E8BC-4F48-850E-AC19A33FE5F5.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	97138  
BonesD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
alfamike's Avatar
 
City: Camarillo
Country: USA
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 337
West Marine has some.

here is the link

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/dr-le...0?recordNum=84

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
localboy's Avatar
 
City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Country: USA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post



Second this. Replaced all our interior and anchor light with their products. Excellent quality, fair price etc.
__________________
Aloha...Mark
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 PM   #8
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
jleonard & Menzies, for the links. I will take a look.
Ted is this what you are describing? (see picture)
Yes, that looks like what I have. Back in FL now, will see what I have tomorrow.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member
 
City: Lampasas Texas
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 58
I found some at Fisheries Supply here in Seattle. I bought a new base and a LED flood that really brightens the pilot house up
I think one on opposite corners of the salon with weaker bulbs in the opposite corners will be a good balance. Thanks for your offer though.
BonesD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
Member
 
stiggy's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bailey
Vessel Model: 46' Grand Banks Motor Yacht
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Looking at retrofitting with LEDs as well. My concern is I see a lot of them on Superbright and Marinebeam appear to not be U/L CE compliant. I guess it's fair to say that the current bulbs in there probably aren't as well. Just don't want to burn the thing down because of a light bulb!!

What do you all think?
stiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Montgomery, Tx
Country: Montgomery, Tx
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 169
I put LEDs in from I think superbrite. Went with highest lumens that would fit. Maybe doubled light output. Big benefit is voltage loss.
__________________
36 Grand Banks Europa
Montgomery, TX
Blog: "grandbankschoices"
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #12
Guru
 
caltexflanc's Avatar
 
City: North Carolina for now
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Looking at retrofitting with LEDs as well. My concern is I see a lot of them on Superbright and Marinebeam appear to not be U/L CE compliant. I guess it's fair to say that the current bulbs in there probably aren't as well. Just don't want to burn the thing down because of a light bulb!!

What do you all think?
Give Marinebeam a call if you have any qualms. They are very helpful. And no, their bulbs will not burn your boat down. They even explain why on their web site.
__________________
George

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #13
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Looking at retrofitting with LEDs as well. My concern is I see a lot of them on Superbright and Marinebeam appear to not be U/L CE compliant. I guess it's fair to say that the current bulbs in there probably aren't as well. Just don't want to burn the thing down because of a light bulb!!

What do you all think?
You raise a good question that I have commented on before. Incandescent bulbs draw about 7 times the power of LEDs for the same light output. The circuits potentially have way to much amperage available. Read books on wiring, fuses and circuit breakers, and they all tell you the breaker or fuse protects the wiring, not the item using the power. This works under the assumption that the item at the end is internally protected. Incandescent light bulbs are, florescent light bulbs with ballasts, compact fluorescent bulbs, and LED emitters aren't. It is extremely rare that electronic devices, florescent ballasts, and LED emitters "cook off", but it does happen. Part of what allows this to happen is an excessive amount of amperage available. I had an electronic bilge pump cook off in my charter boat when the computer chip went South. Part of this was my own fault as the manufacturer specified a fuse size I didn't have, so I put one in of twice the value (5 amps). Would the fuse have blown if the correct fuse size had been installed, don't know, but it was I who bypassed the safety. I was lucky and only had minor damage. Ever since I have been focused on proper fuse size and understanding whether items are internally protected or not, and the potential risks.

Back to LED emitters:
When I switched my engine room lights to LEDs, the circuit was #10 gauge wire with a 30 amp breaker. The LED draw measured about 4.5 amps with a multi meter. So I switched the breaker to 5 amps. While an emitter cooking off would be extremely rare, a 30 amp breaker would certainly provide enough power. For the rest of the light circuits I measured amperage draw and changed or installed 1 amp fuses on most of them.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #14
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
You raise a good question that I have commented on before. Incandescent bulbs draw about 7 times the power of LEDs for the same light output. The circuits potentially have way to much amperage available. Read books on wiring, fuses and circuit breakers, and they all tell you the breaker or fuse protects the wiring, not the item using the power. This works under the assumption that the item at the end is internally protected. Incandescent light bulbs are, florescent light bulbs with ballasts, compact fluorescent bulbs, and LED emitters aren't. It is extremely rare that electronic devices, florescent ballasts, and LED emitters "cook off", but it does happen. Part of what allows this to happen is an excessive amount of amperage available. I had an electronic bilge pump cook off in my charter boat when the computer chip went South. Part of this was my own fault as the manufacturer specified a fuse size I didn't have, so I put one in of twice the value (5 amps). Would the fuse have blown if the correct fuse size had been installed, don't know, but it was I who bypassed the safety. I was lucky and only had minor damage. Ever since I have been focused on proper fuse size and understanding whether items are internally protected or not, and the potential risks.

Back to LED emitters:
When I switched my engine room lights to LEDs, the circuit was #10 gauge wire with a 30 amp breaker. The LED draw measured about 4.5 amps with a multi meter. So I switched the breaker to 5 amps. While an emitter cooking off would be extremely rare, a 30 amp breaker would certainly provide enough power. For the rest of the light circuits I measured amperage draw and changed or installed 1 amp fuses on most of them.

Ted

Ted,



Good info to downsize fuses as appropriate.



As a matter of my operating procedures, I turn of the breaker to anything I'm not currently using. The only things that stay hot are things wired to the battery (pumps) and the fridge circuit. At night when going to bed, I'll leave the light circuit and the anchor light circuit on.


I like your idea also, but do you feel the above is a good start?


Re: LEDs..... heard of a strip LED light causing a fire (maybe on this forum). Scary.



Would be nice to find the source of the fire as a learning point for us.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #15
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Ted,



Good info to downsize fuses as appropriate.



As a matter of my operating procedures, I turn of the breaker to anything I'm not currently using. The only things that stay hot are things wired to the battery (pumps) and the fridge circuit. At night when going to bed, I'll leave the light circuit and the anchor light circuit on.


I like your idea also, but do you feel the above is a good start?


Re: LEDs..... heard of a strip LED light causing a fire (maybe on this forum). Scary.



Would be nice to find the source of the fire as a learning point for us.
Yes, turning breakers off to unused items is a good idea IMO. In general, I think UL rated stuff is built to a better safer quality than recreational boat stuff. Another consideration with stuff on a boat is vibration. Depending on the item, this could have a significant impact on its integrity.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Montgomery, Tx
Country: Montgomery, Tx
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 169
All good points.
Regarding LED bulbs....

First, when selecting a LED bulb, confirm socket type and if bayonet the contact orientation.

Another issue is AC vs DC. LED bulbs are made in DC and AC frequency with AC or DC bases! So it is possible to put a DC bulb in a AC socket. Confirm voltage range.

Not all LEDs can be dimmed. They do really crazy things on a dimmer circuit. Turn off and on, dim at different levels, etc. So if that happens test the bulb with jumpers from a direct source.

LEDs typically fail by melting. Not really a catastrophic failure. By design the internal circuit wiring is very small gauge. So this will be the point of failure almost everytime, and the metal base dissipates the heat.

Once you get the correct base, voltage, and frequency type, the other criteria is physical size and lumen output and light type.

Always buy warm white unless maybe in an engine room, anchor or Stern light. The cool white looks goulish, and bothers some people over time. The more lumen output the bigger the bulb, but they are making compact LEDs that cluster 50% more LEDs in the same area. They also make panel LEDs that direct the light better.

You can downsize your breakers for the circuit, which I have not done. I doubt LEDs on a boat could start a fire or burn anything up, but it is a good practice. UL means little, this stuff is made offshore and the certificate is usually counterfeit.

While I prefer the incandescent bulbs at home, I have changed all bulbs on my boat to LEDs, and keep a box of all the spares, another reason not to downsize the breaker. They resist vibration, stay cooler, draw less power, and can emit more light. They are subseptable to moisture, and don't do squat at keeping condensation down in an engine room.
__________________

__________________
36 Grand Banks Europa
Montgomery, TX
Blog: "grandbankschoices"
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×