Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Leaving boat in FL over the summer

Were going south for the first time and really have no clue where we will end up except that it will be on the East coast of Florida probably not below Ft Pierce. Any suggestions of places to spend the winter are welcome.

The following winter we plan to do the Keys and West Coast so we plan to leave the boat over the summer stored on the hard under shrinkwrap and are looking for suggestions for boatyards. Our insurance company is pushing us for the name of a yard before we renew as well as a copy of their hurricane plan. I can fill out the plan - on the hard and under wrap - but it would help them and me if I had an idea before we get there.

I would also like to hear any insurance thoughts from others who may have left their boat in FL during hurricane season.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 08-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Try Cracker Boys or Harbor Town Marina in Ft. Pierce. We are at Ft. Pierce City Marina. We haul for storms at Cracker Boys.

Indian Town Marina on the OWW does storage on the hard as do a couple of others on the OWW. Probably a little more storm protection more inland.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I know it was brought up in another tread, but you are aware of the Florida 90 day rule, right?
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We stay at Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart, FL. Great place if you can get a slip as it is usually pretty booked up. You could also consider Loggerhead Marina in Stuart. They have fixed and floating docks as well as a pool, bar and restaurant.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Guru

For in water I highly rec. Loggerhead in Vero Beach, best hurricane protection on the East coast of Fl. also my home port. Google map the harbor to see why. Gated security and very safe and secure marina.

Regards,
Old 08-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
FF
Guru

This is a commercial place that will store you on the hard or for big bucks put your boat in a large air cond building.

RFYC LABELLE

About 1/4 mile from our hurricane hole home area , where a number of folks will rent out their dock to cruisers.

The most common price is $200 a month with battery charge electric included.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the information. My insurance company is insisting on a storage location prior to quoting so I guess I will need to pick something. That FT Myers spot looks nice but on the wrong coast - maybe the following year.

Scottedavis, re the 90 day rule, I saw something about it here but can't find the thread, could you possibly post a link?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Thanks for the information. My insurance company is insisting on a storage location prior to quoting so I guess I will need to pick something. That FT Myers spot looks nice but on the wrong coast - maybe the following year.

Scottedavis, re the 90 day rule, I saw something about it here but can't find the thread, could you possibly post a link?

Thanks,
Dave

Sure Dave, but I think it would be easier to just check out these links first.

Florida Boat Tax – Major July 1, 2010 Change

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

The key is you need (to be compliant) to leave the state and have proof you left (fuel receipt, slip receipt or some other proof) the state for a day every 90 days to avoid paying Fl. tax.

Needing some opinions

You will get all kinds of opinions on the enforcement of this law and folks will tell you that everyone ignores it but I don't believe that is good financial advice. You make you're own decisions based on you're risk profile.

Regards, Scott
Old 08-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
As you travel south, you might want to save a few fuel receipts. Florida should be paying cruisers to come there and spend their $$ at marinas, restaurants, malls etc. Don't like to rant, but this one really upsets me.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
As you travel south, you might want to save a few fuel receipts. Florida should be paying cruisers to come there and spend their $$ at marinas, restaurants, malls etc. Don't like to rant, but this one really upsets me.

I know, good thing CT. doesn't have any crazy taxes.

"Beginning Monday, boats docked in Connecticut for 60 days or less will be exempt from the sales and use tax. And a 7 percent luxury tax will be reduced to 6.35 percent on boats costing more than $100,000."

http://www.wtnh.com/news/hartford-ct...es-take-effect
Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

Oh man now I'm even more confused! I read the links and nowhere did I read that I have to leave Florida every 90 days??? I'm not buying a boat, I've owned it for 3 years (and paid a hefty tax to NJ for the privilege!). What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #12

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Quote:
Oh man now I'm even more confused! I read the links and nowhere did I read that I have to leave Florida every 90 days??? I'm not buying a boat, I've owned it for 3 years (and paid a hefty tax to NJ for the privilege!). What am I missing?

Thanks,
Dave
If I'm reading the law correctly, it states that you would owe little, or no use or sales tax if you've already paid tax in another state, i.e. N.J. If the tax rate was less than Florida's 6%, you would owe the difference...limited to a maximum of $18,000. So if NJ's sales tax is 6% or greater, you're home free. Hope I'm not leading you astray amigo!
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
If I'm reading the law correctly, it states that you would owe little, or no use or sales tax if you've already paid tax in another state, i.e. N.J. If the tax rate was less than Florida's 6%, you would owe the difference...limited to a maximum of $18,000. So if NJ's sales tax is 6% or greater, you're home free. Hope I'm not leading you astray amigo!
That's what I thought until I read this in the link...

Use tax and surtax will become due when you title and/or register the boat in Florida. Florida titling and/or registration must occur:

Within 30 days after purchase.

Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, if the boat is documented, titled, and/or registered in another state.

A boat that remains in Florida for more than 90 consecutive days or more than 183 days in a one-year period is taxable, unless it qualifies for another exemption.

To me...even though I paid 7% in NJ...the last para get us all....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
I know this is true. a number of years ago when I lived on Big Pine Key I moved my RV registration there from NJ and filed the paperwork and owed no tax because I had paid 7% in NJ and/or owned it for more than 6 months.

What I'm hearing here is that I can't cruise Florida waters for more than 90 days at a time. I'm just hoping to get clarification on this.

Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:

Thanks,
Dave
Well the law says if the boat stays longer then 90 days it becomes taxable, so by logic if it stays 89 days then leaves for a day the next day it starts a day 1 again.

1* "Even if the boat is not initially taxable in Florida, however, the vessel will again become taxable at a rate of 6% of fair market value if the boat remains in Florida for 90 consecutive days or 183 days within a calendar year.

2* "Use tax and surtax will become due when you title and/or register the boat in Florida. Florida titling and/or registration must occur:
• Within 30 days after purchase.
Within 90 days after the boat enters Florida, if the boat is documented, titled, and/or registered in another state."

1* http://www.boattax.com/ma-florida%202010%20cap-htm/

2* http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

BTW this also applies to aircraft, RV's, autos and trucks.

Check with the Dept. of Motor Vehicles you may very well get credit for the tax paid in NJ and just as easely be able to get a Florida registration sticker, should be around $200-300 bucks.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Guru

Quote:
What I'm hearing here is that I can't cruise Florida waters for more than 90 days at a time. I'm just hoping to get clarification on this.

Dave

I think you can get a Fl. cruse permit for up to 180 days. I don't have the time now to research it but Google is your friend.

This link is a very complete PDF covering this topic.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/s...t_external.pdf

also another site thread on this permit.
http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/ge...ax-way-go.html
Old 08-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Still kinda rude...90 days? Even NJ gives you 180 days before they stick you...

Especially if your boat is generating tax revenue just by being there, you getting there and leaving there.

But I understand the concept...keep resident costs down and stick vacationers...tough decisions for people who advise the lawmakers as I too live/work in a resort area.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #18

Well OK, I found those two quotes, but then I found this in the myflorida.com link:

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
• You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
• The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

I have also heard of the 180 cruising permit so I will research that when I get time and see what that's all about.

Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Still kinda rude...90 days? Even NJ gives you 180 days before they stick you...

Especially if your boat is generating tax revenue just by being there, you getting there and leaving there.

But I understand the concept...keep resident costs down and stick vacationers...tough decisions for people who advise the lawmakers as I too live/work in a resort area.

Yep I know, but most states all do it, as I noted above CT only allows 60 days.

Think of it like buying a $200k Fl. condo, you would pay yearly property tax's PLUS a real estate sales tax at time of purchase. Now if you buy a $200k boat in Delaware (no tax) and brought it to Fl. and parked it at your brother in-laws house to live in for 6 months out of the year, what tax does the state get? The boat is a one time shot so in the long run the boat is a better (tax) deal.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I know it was brought up in another tread, but you are aware of the Florida 90 day rule, right?
Out of curiosity is this really a thing, I mean if a marina knows you are out of state and rents you a slip for say 4-5 months.?

Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote