Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #41

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
Harbortown Marina in Merritt Island is a great spot for Hurricane storage. They are on the West side of the Canaveral Locks, located off the Barge Canal. The Canal joins the Banana River and the Indian River(ICW). No current or tide. Fixed docks well protected. Full service facility including a pool and a restaurant. Short easy run to access the ICW or the Atlantic.

John

Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Near Nashville
Vessel Name: No name either
Vessel Model: No boat yet
Still for sale?

I've seen MB listed for sale on YW and was hoping to get to see it soon, is it still for sale?
I'm in FL now but bouncing from one relatives house to another (family visit time) but did manage to look at a couple of marinas (Titusville & St Pete) while I've been down here.

Good luck on your winter plans.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #43
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Bottom line if you have already paid at least 6% sale or use tax in another state you won't pay it twice.

FL recognizes all other states payments but if you were in AL where sales tax is 4% and you visit FL for 91 or more consecutive days you are then considered a resident and subject to FL sales and use tax rules. AL 4% sales tax paid FL will charge 2% use tax up to their cap.

Thats why most cruisers from low tax or non tax states will go out of FL state waters for a minimum of 24 hours before the 90th consecutive day and that breaks the timeline. Make sure you can prove you were outside the states waters by retaining fuel receipt, marina receipt, etc.

I have also heard that a photo of the days paper to show date along with your chartplotter showing your GPS co-ordinates has also been accepted.

This is not official advice so check with your CPA or marine attorney, if unsure you can also call the FL dept revenue boat enforcement unit.
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Do not ignore the law. At one time Florida had photographers on the bridges taking pictures of out of state boats, and other employees checking the marinas. These are large dollars and you don't want to get caught.

Marty
Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #45
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwkiwi View Post
Bottom line if you have already paid at least 6% sale or use tax in another state you won't pay it twice.

FL recognizes all other states payments but if you were in AL where sales tax is 4% and you visit FL for 91 or more consecutive days you are then considered a resident and subject to FL sales and use tax rules. AL 4% sales tax paid FL will charge 2% use tax up to their cap.

Thats why most cruisers from low tax or non tax states will go out of FL state waters for a minimum of 24 hours before the 90th consecutive day and that breaks the timeline. Make sure you can prove you were outside the states waters by retaining fuel receipt, marina receipt, etc.

I have also heard that a photo of the days paper to show date along with your chartplotter showing your GPS co-ordinates has also been accepted.

This is not official advice so check with your CPA or marine attorney, if unsure you can also call the FL dept revenue boat enforcement unit.

I believe sir that you are correct, however I am not in a position to offer financial or legal advise and would hope that someone would avail themselves to professional services in these matters.

A forum on the internet is not the best place for this type of advice, however it is worth the price paid.

Opinions, it is said are like anal sphincters, we all have them and most of the time they stink.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #46
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The way I read it if you are not a Florida resident, and have owned the boat six months or more before bringing into Florida, there would be no use tax due. Before the ninety days are up it should be registered with the county tax collector, and a registration fee of a couple of hundred bucks or so paid. Here is a link to the state site.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

I am not a lawyer, and not giving tax advice. Just the way I read it.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
Guru

City: somewhere
Can't say I've ever heard anyone talk about this before.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
Can't say I've ever heard anyone talk about this before.

Brokers almost never do, they don't want to screw up a deal.

Good ones do, but caveat em-tour.

Boats bought in Fl. by Fl. residents must pay state sales tax if not paid by the dealer, period. You will get caught if you don't and the repercussions are stiff and can include loss of your freedom.

Boats brought into Fl. that stay over 90 days may also owe tax's.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #49
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Well OK, I found those two quotes, but then I found this in the myflorida.com link:

Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave
Something to think about with Georgia: Southern Georgia has two large storage areas, Brunswick and Savannah. The large yard in Brunswick will not let you work on your boat on the hard. If this is your plan then consider one of the yards in the Savannah area.

Marty
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #50
FF
Guru

There is a difference between SALES tax and USE tax.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #51
TF Site Team

Florida and most states freeze the 90 period if the boat is in storage such as hauled out or under repair.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #52
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
Florida and most states freeze the 90 period if the boat is in storage such as hauled out or under repair.
I was thinking the same but EVERY reference in Florida stautes says IN FLORIDA...not IN USE in Florida.

Under the sales tax provision they exempt boats leaving the state if they are 5 net tons or less...over 5 ton still have to register... so I wonder if they somehow include the 5 net ton rule to stored and/or being repaired?????
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #53
Guru

NO they don't freeze it for 90 days while in storage!

Google Fl. boat sales tax safe harbor provision.

Florida’s Safe Harbor Act
If sales or use tax has not been paid on a boat, the boat is exempt from tax if it remains in this state for a
maximum of 20 days in any calendar year. The 20-day per
iod is calculated from the date of first dockage or
slippage at a registered facility that rents dockage or slippage space in this state.
If a boat enters Florida for repairs or modifications and is placed in a registered repair facility, it may stay
without taxation until the repairs are completed. The 20-day period stops while the vessel is undergoing
repair. Once the repairs are complete, the owner has the balance of the 20 days to remove the boat from
Florida.
These repairs, additions, alterations, refitting, or modifications may be subject to sales tax and the
applicable discretionary sales surtax.
Storage of a boat in Florida will not qualify for the “safe harbor” exemption. A boat listed for sale, contracted
for sale, or sold using a registered boat dealer or yacht broker will qualify for the exemption if sold while in
Florida under the safe harbor provisions

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

Why the insistence on guessing and speculation in this day of instant access to information??

If you don't know something either look it up or state that you are guessing don't state something as a fact that you really know nothing about.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
There is a difference between SALES tax and USE tax.
In Florida other than being collected at different times, what is the difference?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #55
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
In Florida other than being collected at different times, what is the difference?

Sales versus use tax.

It is easier to explain if we use the correct term. What we call a "sales tax" is actually a retail occupation tax on the retailer collected by adding the tax to the sales price. Basically the state is taxing someone or something for being in the retail business. Thus Florida cannot tax a retailer in Georgia for selling you a boat.

What many states do is access a "use tax" on anything bought out of state and brought into the state and used in the state. The amount of the tax may be different because many states have local retail occupation taxes which add to the state retail occupation tax, whereas the use tax is just the state tax.

States have agreed to treat titled items, boats cars etc as purchased in the state where it is to be titled/registered. Thus if my wife, an Indiana resident buys a car in Illinois, there is no Illinois tax paid even if the car is picked up in Illinois. She pays the Indiana tax when she registers the car. Same with boats.

What is unusual for boats is that the states will apply the use tax to a boat brought into the state years later. Thus if Bay Pelican is moved to Maryland Maryland can assess a tax on Bay Pelican based on the current value of Bay Pelican. Maryland would give credit for any tax paid to Illinois, where Bay Pelican is currently documented.

Marty
Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #56
Guru

State sale and use taxes are charged at the same rate in Florida. The local option tax is capped at $50.00 on a boat transaction. The effect to me doesn't seem very different.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #57
Guru

Could someone please clarify this that was clipped from the State of Florida sales and use tax info.,?

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:
You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

The intent seems pretty clear to me. How am I confuse here?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #58
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Could someone please clarify this that was clipped from the State of Florida sales and use tax info.,?

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:
You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

The intent seems pretty clear to me. How am I confuse here?
There's more to that...go back to page one post's 8 & 13...the links take you there and discuss the 90 days. The issue you just posted is for sales tax...OK your are exempt from that but you will still have to register after 90 days. When you register they will whack you for taxes less than 6%.

Here's a link that was in post #8 and look at the first section..last sentences.

Florida Boat Tax – Major July 1, 2010 Change
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There's more to that...go back to page one post's 8 & 13...the links take you there and discuss the 90 days. The issue you just posted is for sales tax...OK your are exempt from that but you will still have to register after 90 days. When you register they will whack you for taxes less than 6%.

Here's a link that was in post #8 and look at the first section..last sentences.

Florida Boat Tax – Major July 1, 2010 Change

You are correct, sir.

In post #15 I directly coped and pasted and made red the relevant points and cited the reference from where they came.

You also pay yearly for the registration based on the size of the boat, I pay <300 dollars.

I have already asked, spent the $$ with the attorney, talked to the state and the accountant, been there and have the T-shirt.

There is a very short safe harbor provision (20 days for documented repairs, but not for haul out or winter storage.

If the boat remains in FL. for 91 days or 185 total in one year. it must have a state reg. sticker and pay the tax owed on the value of the boat. I asked how that was determined and I was told by a licensed appraiser paid for by the owner.

Don, do you have a Fl. registration sticker on the port side of your boat?

If you leave the state every 90 days and have proof (run to Bimini) that you did you are in the clear if not then you need to reg. your boat and pay any balance owed at that time to be legal.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #60
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post

Brokers almost never do, they don't want to screw up a deal.

Good ones do, but caveat em-tour.

Boats bought in Fl. by Fl. residents must pay state sales tax if not paid by the dealer, period. You will get caught if you don't and the repercussions are stiff and can include loss of your freedom.

Boats brought into Fl. that stay over 90 days may also owe tax's.
I paid sales tax.