Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Well OK, I found those two quotes, but then I found this in the myflorida.com link:

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:

You own the boat 6 months or longer, and
You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

I have also heard of the 180 cruising permit so I will research that when I get time and see what that's all about.

Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave
Dave, call the states toll free number 800-352-3671 , or stop in at a DMV office. You really want the straight scoop, Not a bunch of interpretations from all over the country. This is not an unusual question for them.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Still think what I posted applies...the 90 day rule...while what Majicbus posted is also included in that link..the 90 "issue" is brought up separately.

I think the confusion (as in NJ too DMV vs taxation))....is all those exemptions are for sales/use tax....

but after 90 days...you have to register in FL...at that point you have to go to FL DMV and prove those exemption and show where you paid 6% or more in sales tax. The will then register you for the requisite couple hundred bucks AND collect any sales/use tax if you paid less than 6% someplace else.

I may have it all wrong too...but that's my understanding of what I have read here and it follows as it's been that way in the several states I've been stationed/lived in.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Guru

PS, I hope your interpretation is correct, it is not that way in most other states but one never knows.

I wonder why they call it both a tax and a surtax (use)? Seems like they (the state) mean two separate items.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Out of curiosity is this really a thing, I mean if a marina knows you are out of state and rents you a slip for say 4-5 months.?
How would the marina have any way of knowing your tax status with the state? Would they even care as long as your check clears?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Be VERY wary of any information you receive from ANY government agency over the phone. The majority of government "experts" I have dealt with looking for information aren't even aware of what planet their on much less the interpretations of any specific "law" you might want explained. That being said, I have experienced excellent service from some employees. Question is, who do you believe?
If at all possible get an answer IN WRITING with an explanation in unambiguous plain language also IN WRITING...(good luck with THAT one).
Old 08-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
...Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave
Dave: Talk to another agent. Insurance agents, you have to love'em or hate'em.

Every year we submit our anticipated itinerary for the next policy year which runs October 1 to October 1. Our annual premium varies with the itinerary. This year, by June 1 we were to be in Brunswick, Georgia or further north. This past May 23rd we're still in the Bahamas. We email or agent saying we won't make it to Georgia this year and will be keeping the boat in Jacksonville, FL. The underwriters came back with navigation limits now including all of the Bahamas, to Brownsville TX and all of Florida for an additional $64/year. They did want to know what the primary location of Hobo would be and we had already submitted a hurricane plan.

I may be wrong but the insurance market seems pretty competitive so I would shop/ask around.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Dave: Talk to another agent. Insurance agents, you have to love'em or hate'em.

Every year we submit our anticipated itinerary for the next policy year which runs October 1 to October 1. Our annual premium varies with the itinerary. This year, by June 1 we were to be in Brunswick, Georgia or further north. This past May 23rd we're still in the Bahamas. We email or agent saying we won't make it to Georgia this year and will be keeping the boat in Jacksonville, FL. The underwriters came back with navigation limits now including all of the Bahamas, to Brownsville TX and all of Florida for an additional $64/year. They did want to know what the primary location of Hobo would be and we had already submitted a hurricane plan.

I may be wrong but the insurance market seems pretty competitive so I would shop/ask around.
Very good advice...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
Dave, call the states toll free number 800-352-3671 , or stop in at a DMV office. You really want the straight scoop, Not a bunch of interpretations from all over the country. This is not an unusual question for them.
Yup I agree. I will stop in when I'm down there - I have lots of experience with FLDMV trying to register vehicles. I still keep my old vehicle tag so when I eventually move back I can get register it and save the plate fee!

Regards,
Dave
Old 08-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Quote:
How would the marina have any way of knowing your tax status with the state? Would they even care as long as your check clears?
OK that is very true, I guess what I meant to say, has anyone heard of people getting tagged for taxes while in Florida, never seen or heard of it here in NY and some boats go back to Florida for the winter.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #30

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
My read of the law is that even though the boat is "taxable" the tax due would be zero if, as the OP stated, he paid 7% in NJ...1% more than Florida's 6%. Just because the vessel is "taxable" does not mean he will owe anything. Years ago I brought a little sailboat I lived aboard from California to Florida and registered it in Florida. Because I was able to show I had paid tax on the boat in California, I owed no additional tax in Florida. My only expense was the cost of registration in Florida, which was nominal...less than $100. I believe this still to be the case.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
...has anyone heard of people getting tagged for taxes while in Florida, never seen or heard of it here in NY and some boats go back to Florida for the winter...
We haven't heard of anyone. We arrived in FL in June and are moored in a private marina where at least 25% of the boats have out of state registrations. No one that we know of has been stopped or paid FL registration. The marina offers special rates from June 1 to the end of December for transit vessels who are looking to keep their boats there for hurricane season. Right or wrong, it's just what I have observed.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Wausau,WI
Quote:
Well OK, I found those two quotes, but then I found this in the myflorida.com link:

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet all of the following conditions:

You have shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase, and
The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S.
territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the
6-month period.

I have also heard of the 180 cruising permit so I will research that when I get time and see what that's all about.

Interestingly enough, my insurance agent now says that if I haul out for hurricane season north of Cumberland Island, GA I will save a bundle on premiums. I know even less about GA!

Dave

Please check the difference between SALES tax and USE tax. If I'm not mistaken, your above quotes are related to the SALES tax - not the USE tax.
theran5317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Thanks Larry, it seems like something difficult to police unless Marina's are required by law (and stiff penalty) to disclose those vessels there longer then 90 days. I pay every tax imaginable, just not a fan of getting double dipped.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #34
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by theran5317 View Post
Please check the difference between SALES tax and USE tax. If I'm not mistaken, your above quotes are related to the SALES tax - not the USE tax.
In the state that I have dealt with there is virtually no difference between sales and use taxes. Sales tax is paid at the time of purchase. A use tax is paid if you register later, and have not paid the required sales tax.

Where I am confused here is the difference between a Florida resident bringing a boat in, and a resident of another state bringing a boat in. Does the 6 months rule no longer apply to none residents?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #35

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
First I want to mention a storage place that is part of the same company that Fred mentioned, River Forest Marina in Stuart so that is east coast. They promote themselves as having a hurricane resistant building and it is air conditioned so that you do not have mold and humidity problems.
It is considered a harbor of refuge to most insurance carriers for discounted rates.

Here is the tax info copied directly from the link posted earlier. They key item is that you owned the boat for more than six months. If you kept the boat in Rhode Island where there is no sales tax for a year of more than there is still no tax due in Florida. After 90 days you are required to get a decal showing the state registration fee is paid even if the boat is documented, but it is not normally enforced unless you get in trouble for something else like speeding or a large wake etc.

Use tax and surtax are not due on boats brought to Florida if you meet
all of the following conditions:

The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S. territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the 6-month period.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #36
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
First I want to mention a storage place that is part of the same company that Fred mentioned, River Forest Marina in Stuart so that is east coast. They promote themselves as having a hurricane resistant building and it is air conditioned so that you do not have mold and humidity problems.
It is considered a harbor of refuge to most insurance carriers for discounted rates.

Here is the tax info copied directly from the link posted earlier. They key item is that you owned the boat for more than six months. If you kept the boat in Rhode Island where there is no sales tax for a year of more than there is still no tax due in Florida. After 90 days you are required to get a decal showing the state registration fee is paid even if the boat is documented, but it is not normally enforced unless you get in trouble for something else like speeding or a large wake etc.

The boat has been in use 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S. territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the 6-month period.

Thanks Tucker. That was my understanding.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post

Go back to post 15 of this thread, also copied directly from the very same link that you just posted. Clear as mud.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Woodside,Ca
Vessel Name: Roam'n
Vessel Model: Westcoast 46
When I was looking into cruising Florida last year I found this. It looks like it takes care of the tax and length of stay issue. Do not know if it is still in effect, but worth looking at.
Florida Sojourner Registration
Rickized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickized View Post
When I was looking into cruising Florida last year I found this. It looks like it takes care of the tax and length of stay issue. Do not know if it is still in effect, but worth looking at.
Florida Sojourner Registration

Nice little tidbit, Rickized. Thanks.

A couple of things. 1. I don't know of someone "caught" in FL having not paid some tax or other, but I do know of plenty of boats taken out of FL, camped out in GA for 15 days, then returned to FL to avoid the tax and/or registration requirements. He would not give them the information in writing or call West Palm Beach to inform the workers there of the correct rule application.

2. Getting information from local tax/registration offices really differs. In one case, some Canadian friends bought a boat in FL in the West Palm Beach jurisdiction and were not able to get a cruising permit there for a plethora of reasons. They called Miami and spoke to a very knowledgeable guy who said it would be no problem to do it there IF they relocated to his jurisdiction. To avoid the tax-registration issues, they took the boat to GA for 15 days, then brought it back and went to the same guy that turned them down at West Palm Beach who didn't remember them, and immediately were given a cruising permit. They said nothing.

3. I have my boat on the Okeechobee Waterway in Stuart in a protected marina on the St. Lucie River, about 50 minutes from the ICW at 7 knots. Quiet, gated, small, a couple of live-aboards to keep a look-out. For 36 ft. it's under 500 per month including water and 30 amp. It's a side tie, and some shallow areas. For storms, the boats can be tied bow and stern between concrete piers. Tides are usually less than 2 ft., although they are really dumping out of Lake Okeechobee right now, and will probably continue for a while, so tides are staying higher than usual and the river is moving 3+ knots.

4. My insurance is with Atlass here in FL, and covers named storms (albeit with a considerable deductible). About 2800 per yr. was half of what Boat US quoted.

I think that covers the other stuff you asked about.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:

Yep I know, but most states all do it, as I noted above CT only allows 60 days.

Think of it like buying a $200k Fl. condo, you would pay yearly property tax's PLUS a real estate sales tax at time of purchase. Now if you buy a $200k boat in Delaware (no tax) and brought it to Fl. and parked it at your brother in-laws house to live in for 6 months out of the year, what tax does the state get? The boat is a one time shot so in the long run the boat is a better (tax) deal.
Delaware had a 2.75% doc fee when I lived there.