Learned a lesson ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marin,

On post # 4 why do you have an extra bow line and stern line?

Have'nt read the whole thread ....answer is post # ?

Marin,

On post # 4 why do you have an extra bow line and stern line?

Have'nt read the whole thread ....answer is post # ?

I guess you meant the photo. Bellingham gets some pretty strong winds in the winter. Gusts of a bit over 80 mph have been recorded by the weather station on top of the Bellingham Cold Storage ice house across the turning basin from our slip. Typical sustained winds in the storms are 40 to 60. Our slip puts our starboard rear quarter to the prevailing SW winds which we prefer to having our bow into them. So the boat is being blown into the slip and off our finger (which we also like).

The second bow line functions as another aft-running spring to help counter the force of the wind and act as a backup to the midships aft spring. The second stern line is actually the same stern line led back aboard from the dock cleat and fastened to the other stern cleat in that corner of the boat. So it's doubling the line that's resisting the full force of the wind.

Last edited:
I recently began the practice of doubling the stern lines, mostly to avoid the need to coil the ends on the dock.

Docking

My wife and I have had great and scarry experiences bring in our boat.

The best one to date was when we were helping a friend move his 40 ft GB.

all was fine until the shift cable came disconnected from the transmission just as he was putting it up against the pier.

As he stood there with the useless shifter in his hand I realized what had happened and made the leap to the pier. My wife threw me a line and I secured it thuse keeping the boat from drifting out into traffic.

Of course that doesn't compare to the time I backed into our spot, my wife stepped off with a rope and I stepped off to help then realized that the boat was still in gear and on its way out of the slip and into traffic with no one on board. I prefer to hear my wife tell that story. It doesn't make me look good.

Marin - a follow-up question

Marin - I know this is an old post, but have you used the permanent spring line setup when you're running solo? If so, have you any additional tips to share? I like this idea but wonder how practical it would be when I single hand the boat, which is what I mostly do and also when it would be most helpful.
Thanks, Mary

Marin - I know this is an old post, but have you used the permanent spring line setup when you're running solo? If so, have you any additional tips to share? I like this idea but wonder how practical it would be when I single hand the boat, which is what I mostly do and also when it would be most helpful.
Thanks, Mary

Actually Single handing, it is the only way to do it.
Pretty much as Marin described, when i am coming into any docking situation, i have the loop of my line over the cleat, with the bitter end coiled and over the cap rail, near the pilot house door.

As i pull into the dock, I pu the boat in neutral, (should you forget this step, no problem, everything is just speeded up 10 fold):facepalm:
run out the pilot house, loop the line around the first fixed dock thing, I say dock thing, because at this point, I'm not picky.

Depending on the speed of the boat, current, wind, etc, I may have pulled the slack back thru the hawse pipe, but if I pressed for time, I just secure it over the cleat over the cap rail.

then, once I am tied to something, full rudder away from dock, and keep up the fwd momentum, so midships, then stern and bow are forced against dock.

At that point, I put the bow and stern line on, the priority being the line closest to the wind or current.

Then, once stopped and liking the position, I retied the midships into two spring lines, one fwd, one back.

Note, on a number of occasions, in strong current, if I put the boat in neutral, it will try to got perpendicular as much as it can. the only way to solve that is to keep boat in forward until all lines are tied.

:dance::dance:

and yes Marin is lurking, as only Marin can.:lol:

At my berth, the wind usually shoves the boat to starboard. I'm still practicing using hard-right rudder and bow thruster to move the Coot sideways to port (rudder moves stern to port, and the thruster compensates to maintain the boat's direction.)

That is apalling! I'd be afraid of getting fwapped with a piling like hitting a wasp with a flyswatter! One thing for sure, if you pooch it, you will be pinned against something!

Not appalling at all if it's done right. Slow is good.

Not appalling at all if it's done right. Slow is good.

Exactly! That is just how you do it if you are single handling it. Or in fact even if you have help. Spring line first, pin it to the dock and tie on your other lines.

I assume we are discussing coming alongside and not backing/pulling into a slip where there's a technique to get there but unlimited possiblilities where lines need to go.

My boat..and other singles I've driven/seen dock...depending on the situation...you won't be able to get your midship close enough for a midship spring without some pretty dramatic power usage or speed.

In more benign conditions the midship spring (I think it's usually called a brestline if it's short and snubs the boat close to the dock) seems to be the favored choice.

In lesser conditions, I find I either have a choice...get my stern or bow close and use the appropriate spring. (I don't have thrusters or twins so my options are limited).

I prefer usually to kick the stern in or back my quarter over to the point where I'm going to tie off. I place a fender on that side just forward of the transom. Once close... I get a short lone on whatever is available and then place the boat ahead in idle. If you were fast enough so the wind or current hasn't swung the bow out past 70 degrees or so...it's rare that an idle in gear won't swing you gently back to the dock exactly where you want to be.

This maneuver will also get you in between 2 other boats when there is only feet to spare fore and aft.

Every boat is a little different in layout and handling so as you get more familiar with what works...a system starts to develop that works for you and the boat.

Last edited:
As i pull into the dock, I put the boat in neutral...
run out the pilot house, loop the line around the first fixed dock thing, I say dock thing, because at this point, I'm not picky.

First fixed dock thing...yeah, that opens up some options. I don't know why I was so fixated on just using my dock cleat. I've got a piling that might be perfect at times and other options are coming to mind. Being open-minded about what secure attachment I spring off of is helpful no matter where I'm docking.

At my home port, the easiest arrangement would be if I could just grab a hanging line like Marin describes, but how do I get close enough to snag it. Extended boat hook? Grabber hand? Easier is better. I love this kind of problem solving.

Now I can't wait to get back to the boat to play around with all these ideas and dock, dock, and dock some more. 48 more hours at work and then...a delicious 7 weeks off!!

I use a hook on a PVC pipe as close to the end of the finger as I can get. Just move the after spring from the mid cleat to the hook on the way out. Pick it up and drop it on the same cleat on the way back in. Power forward gently until the boat is against the dock and make up the rest of the lines at my leisure. I have to tie up bow-in because the far end of my slip gets shallow at low tide.

Backing into my last slip (deeper water, single screw, no thruster) was even easier. Have a line ready from the mid cleat to the port (in this case) quarter. Get the stern near the dock and drop the eye on the end cleat. Back down until the boat is snug against the dock.

I have learned the hard way never to leave a bow line anywhere that someone on the dock can grab it. Once they get ahold of your bow line, you're lost. They'll pull with all their might. Not good. Hand them a spring line. Best if you just hand them the eye, and you or your crew make it up on your cleat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom