Old 01-16-2016, 07:07 PM   #21
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Tex,

We have Cat 3208 naturals. I have to remove the exhaust components from the rear of the engines. Our Onan 8kw will have to be removed from its mounts and shoved to the side for each tank(s) installation.

Our original idea was to replace the original tanks with two replacement tanks. However, we are limited to 19" door width into the saloon from the outside. Hence, three tanks to come close to our original 600 gallon tankage.

I urge you to join the Grand Banks Owners forum, Grand Banks Owner's Resources. The folks there have superior experience with our GBs. The members just might have some good experience with Por15 or other solutions to a leaky fuel tank. Good luck!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:04 PM   #22

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Had to replace my tanks on 45 Jefferson 8 years ago. Last week while doing checks found another leak at a weld at the vertical plate to the bottom plate. Will be going back to Lauderdale for repair . Looks like weld was bad and is weeping but still will have to remove engine and turn or remove tank. Welder said could be bad weld or crack in weld. Removed fuel /degassed tank and will see what welder wants to do tank in boat or outside. BOATS don't you love them ????

Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #23
Guru

What material are your tanks? Aluminum, steel, stainless steel?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #24

City: Marathon
Vessel Name: silver gift
Vessel Model: 45 jefferson
Aluminum.
Deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #25

City: Green Cove Springs, Fl
Vessel Name: HEAVEN SENT
Vessel Model: 1992 Grand Banks 46 Classic
Giggitoni
Forgive my use of your name this way but as I said I don't do computers well. I realize there are differences between the two boats but I think you could remove your front windshield and get two tanks per side.. My windshield comes off by disconnecting the locking hardware, raising it to the level of the horn and then sliding it sideways. The tanks are about 31 inches wide and my opening 38 inches wide. I brought in a new refrigerator on a skid that way and it works great. I would love to talk to you. Is there anyway you could privately give me a phone number to call you with?
Tex Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:48 PM   #26
Guru

Private Message (PM) sent.

I was prepared to remove the front windshield, but the measurements for the horizontal tanks didn't work out. I also considered taking a larger tank in through the companion way into the aft cabin but didn't have enough room. Your GB46 may have larger access points than my smaller 42'.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 01-17-2016, 09:35 PM   #27

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Rusty steel tanks.... no quick fix. Meditate and deal with it.

Then..... search the forums and learn that you will have to cut the boat or the tanks. IE, tanks don't fit through the door anymore, 'cause they put them in before the deck went on. So.... you either cut a large hole in the boat or cut up the tank and get it out in pieces. Trust me, the latter is preferred. Now, you say you're in your 70's..... not sure how much piss and vinegar you got left (not being flippant, sniffing 60 myself and I know where I'm heading) so the other option is to pay.... pay someone to crouch in there and cut the old sucker up.

Then, as a similar sized tank is not going to fit IN just as the old one didn't fit OUT so you'll have to design and have fabricated new multiple tanks (aluminum is your best bet) to fit through the door and have a place to sit...... Or pay someone big $$ to make the problem go away.

That's it in a nutshell. YMMV, but it ain't gonna be an "easy fix".

My $0.03
Old 01-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #28

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
We plan to install three horizontal tanks on each side. The reason for three tanks is because we don't have the room to fit one single tank without removing the old tanks through the bottom of the boat. A solution looking for a problem!

The tanks will be plumbed together on each side to form essentially one tank. The old tanks are 300 gallons each for a total of 600 gallons. The new tanks will have a total volume of about 520 gallons.

I'll document the tear out and installation when we start in about two weeks.
You may be jumping into deeper shit than you're already in by stacking the new tanks. If access is a big problem with one, it will be triply hard with three.
I would encourage you to locate the source of the water before installing new tanks, and taking appropriate steps to stop the ingress, whether it is dirty fuel at the source, leaking deck fill, improper venting, condensation, or what else.
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #29
Guru

Ok. Thanks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 01-18-2016, 01:21 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
We plan to install three horizontal tanks on each side.
This is somewhat similar to what the previous owner did with our '73 GB36 in Alameda the year before we bought it. The boat's original three, 150-gallon iron tanks (one on each side, one across the back of the engine room) were removed (I assume cut up in place as the engines were never moved) and replaced with four 85-gallon saddle tanks, two side-by-side on each side of the engine room, and a 60 gallon day tank on the centerline of the boat in the bilge under the engine room floorplates. Total fuel capacity was reduced from 450 gallons to 400 gallons which is great because this reduces the time fuel sits on the boat.

I have no idea who designed the replacement system but it's terrific because everything works via gravity out of the lowest point in each tank. The contents of the four saddle tanks are transferred independently to the day tank via gravity and manual valves, and the day tank feeds from its lowest point to the line to the lift pump on each engine. So no pickup tubes in the system at all and when a tank is empty, it is totally empty.

Fuel can be moved between tanks via a transfer pump and each engine can draw fuel from the day tank (normal) or either of the two saddle tanks on the engine's side of the boat via manual valves. The fuel return from each engine can be valved to the day tank (normal) or the forward saddle tank on the engine's side of the boat. The transfer pump can also be valved to pump the contents of any tank off the boat via a hose connection.

Very simple, very foolproof system.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Check out Amazon for their boroscope or endoscope which is simply a tiny camera in a brass housing at the end of a long USB cable. Plug the USB cable into your laptop and fish the camera end wherever you want to see. The camera end has a few LED's to light up the area around the camera in darkness.

Range in cost from $15-$30 for up to 20' length. Good to go exploring all over a boat. They are waterproof so you can tape it to a boathook and check out your prop / rudder, and even bilge areas.

Fiber optic cameras are far more expensive due to the fiber bundle accuracy. Also, they are length restricted since you get loss by the foot.

Stu
What you mention is what I was talking about. Just used the wrong term in a generic way.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #32

Giggitoni
I have used the POR15 system. It takes four days to cure. I'll let you all know how it turned out on the 27th. Just by chance, have you gotten a ball park estimate for replacing the tanks in your boat?
Old 01-25-2016, 05:17 PM   #33
Guru

Ball park estimate is about $18,000. Good luck with the Por15.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 01-25-2016, 08:12 PM   #34

A friend told me he was quoted $46K for new tanks on his 1988 GB 42.
Your price sounds a lot better. I will try to get back into the Grand Banks Owners Resources but it's been awhile and I'm not sure that was the same name of the organization. Is there more than one?
Old 01-25-2016, 08:36 PM   #35
Guru

Click on this link for the Grand Banks Owners forum, Grand Banks Owner's Resources.

I've seen tank replacement for a GB42 on the west coast go as high as $25,000.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 01-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #36

Giggitoni
I have tried to get into the GB forum thru your link and no go. I can't get past the password. I asked for help and they have not answered. There has to be a simple reason for this but I can't find it.
Be well
Tex
Old 01-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Myers
Tex, you need to register and then its reviewed by the admin for approval and then you will have access, at least that is what I went through, found it a bit more difficult then it needed getting approval for some reason.

I have been following along, have used Por 15 on cars I have restored, but on a large fuel tank with a good amount of pressure within it not really the way to go, so where there is one hole there is most likely more waiting to happen. All the best.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #38

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
The hole is the spot where an AREA of corrosion comes down to zero. Right next to the hole it's a few thousandths, next to that a little more. The proper thickness of the original material can be many inches away. Rarely does one find a pinhole in otherwise solid material.

On the GB the culprit is the leaky teaky (screws) and/or the filler hole and it's surroundings. For YEARS water leaks on the top of the tank, and dripping down the sides, often unseen. The small leak is the last stop before, you guessed it, the large leak.

No magic elixir is going to cure this, nor do you WANT to be on a boat where hundreds of gallons of fuel are being kept from spilling by a wad of chewing gum. Think about it.

Do it right.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #39

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Semper Somethin
Vessel Model: 1985 Marine Trader 34 DC
fuel tank leak

Feel free to send me a private message and I can put you in touch with my contact at American Tank, should you decide to take that route.[/QUOTE]

What is the approximate price for a project like this?
Thx
CAPPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #40
Guru

Cappie,

The cost of old tank removal, manufacturing new custom tanks, installing the new tanks and other miscellaneous tasks depends on access in ones engine room and access from the outside of ones boat into the engine room.

In my case I'm removing two 300-gallon tanks (one on the port side and one on the starboard) for a total of 600 gallons. The old tanks will be cut up in place. I'm having six smaller tanks constructed (three on each side) for a total volume of about 520 gallons. The tanks will be plumbed together "as one tank" on each side. The reason for the smaller tanks is to accommodate limited access to my engine room from the outside of the boat (as stated in previous posts above).

I expect the total cost to be about $18,500. I feel great about the price! I was prepared for costs to be in the $25,000 to $28,000 range.

I will document the work on this forum when it commences.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ