Old 07-25-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Leak in a stern tube

I'm not sure if it's called a stern tube or shaft log but it's the tube that my shaft runs through the Cutlass bearing from the stuffing box. Any ideas on how to get the old Stern tube out to replace it with a new one
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You might be better off seeing if you can slide in a new slightly small tube to line the old one.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
I did what capt bill said on my Nordic Tug. Put a smaller tube inside the existing tube and then a smaller cutlass bearing.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
Guru

Interesting. If a smaller tube will fit how would I seal it. Injecting some epoxy maybe? By the way is it a stern tube or a shaft log?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
S-Dude!!! Long time no see!

No direct experience but years ago RickB posted a fix he did I believe involving 5200. He fished a cable through it and hooked a "bullet"(long disc) just under the size of the hole. Once ready to pull the bullet through he dumped the whole tube of 5200 in the hole and pulled the bullet through effectively sealing it from the inside.

I may be messing that up a bit but you can look up the post and check. Good to have ya back.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Deltaville Boatyard did mine. I think they glassed it in. 7-8 years ago. Can't remember.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Really would have to see your setup...but the standard TT type deep keel on a single engine....some have pressed them out, some cut from the inside of the boat...some from the sides of the keel...anything to relieve some of the pressure/friction and get an grip on it to speak.

Repair is done with another tube or coating the inside with 5200 as RickB reportedly suggested...others have used thickened epoxy and multiple coats.

Many don't worry unless the leak is excessive.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #8

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Is this a common issue? Is the stern tube structural in anyway? Where do you notice the leak?
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Are you talking about the short rubber hose between the stuffing box and the cutlass bearing? Or do you have a fiberglass tube I between the cutlass and stuffing box?
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
Guru

It's the tube that my shaft is in runs from the stuffing box to the Cutlass bearing
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
Guru

I like the idea about the 5200 on the pole in the billet through the tube. Means I've got a haul the boat again
Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 PM   #12
Guru

Got any pics? Where is the leak? My nagging thought is: Why did this leak start? Is the shaft rubbing the tube, abrading the inside of the tube? Is the alignment off that the engine has settled? Is there an intermediate bearing that is failing? Does the shaft have a whip in it, allowing it to rub? The rubber hose sections do wear out, and get spongy. If it is leaking on the aft side, it could be 'spraying aft, appearing to be leak in the tube.
Fixing the leak is one thing, figuring out why the leak started is probably more important.

If you have an issue, installing a smaller diameter inner sleeve will buy you time. But if this is a rubbing issue, it will rub through quicker. How long is the tube you are talking about? Is it fiberglass? Or is it a couple inches of rubber?

which type do you have?
Attached Thumbnails
stuffingbox with tube.jpg   stuffingbox clean.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #13
Guru

I would love to add a few photographs but I don't know how to upload them on this thing. I'm on the boat what does url mean. Doing this from my iPhone 5
Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 AM   #14
Guru

My stuffing box rests up against a bulkhead. Water is weeping out from a crack on the fiberglass of the bulkhead. I just recently installed a new 3208 n.a. The alignment seemed fine every thing bolted right up.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
I would love to add a few photographs but I don't know how to upload them on this thing. I'm on the boat what does url mean. Doing this from my iPhone 5

I use the iPhone 5 to access this site too. Do yourself a favor and download the Trawler Forum App. Adding pictures is stupid easy after that, especially if you take them with your iPhone.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:07 AM   #16
Guru

How do I find the trawlerforum app
Old 07-26-2015, 06:13 AM   #17
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
How do I find the trawlerforum app
On your iPhone 5, look for the blue "App Store" application. Then do a search on "Trawler Boating Forums". Open and install it. You will need your Apple ID and password to do the install.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #18
Guru

Skipperdude, on the pics i put up, on the one with number 1, 2 or 3 on it, where is your leak coming from? 1, 2 or 3? If it's from 1, you need a haul out. The previously mentioned caulking 'quicky fix' won't help a tube that is cracked from the back at the hull joint. (at least not for my money) Well, 5200 may buy you some time, but if it's the tube to hull fiberglass joint that is failing then you have a larger job to do to refasten the tube into the hull. Its one thing if the tube it self is worn or cracked.

If it is the tube to hull joint, if you have access to the entire way around the tube you could slap on some more fiberglass and beef the connection up from inside the boat. But getting it to stop leaking to actually put more fiberglass on is the trick. It would involve a dive outside, and sealing the shaft cutlass bearing and any water weep holes with beeswax (toilet bowl sealing ring works well,) and letting the wax get pushed in by seawater pressure. Then using a vacuum to suck up the water, and then acetone to dry up the remaining dampness. Acetone is very explosive. Air out the bilge the entire time with blowers.

You have to understand, the leak is small now. Something is failing. If it completely cracks, and overwhelms the bilge pump (and batteries) the boat will sink. That's about a 2" hole in the hull.

If you didn't align the engine reinstall correctly, it could have whacked the stern tube enough to crack it. Is there a boat repair yard near you? The 'why' it cracked is worrysome to me. If you don't figure out the Why it will likely happen again. And you know it will happen in the winter in AK......
Old 07-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #19
Guru

City: Perth
It's easier to use than the desktop version

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 07-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Guru

Coppy. It's leaking behind Number one. This boat is set up kind of different I don't have traditional motor mounts my engine is mounted by brackets that hang over the stringers and hard mount directly to that. when checking things out I found that one of the motor mounts the bolt had come loose and the engine was no longer mounted on the aft starboard side. The leak seems to have slowed down a bit. This was originally a commercial fishing boat and has three watertight bulkheads. The water is leaking from a crack in the fiberglass of the bulkhead at the back of the engine compartment about 6 inches above where the stuffing box is mounted to the stern tube. In effect the water is filling the bulkhead and then leaking out.