A Leak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the PSS Shaft Seal, they make a small ss collar that goes in front of the stainless rotor as a back up. Should the rotor become loose, it will be stopped by the collar.
However, if you fasten the collar right next to the rotor, it might back you up but you won't know that it saved you.
If you fasten the collar a short distance ahead of the rotor, the collar will stop the rotor, and more importantly, you'll see that something has become loose and needs attention. I use the allen wrench that is used to tighten the collar as a spacer to create a measured distance between the collar and the rotor. So if I'm questioning whether something moved, and I can't get the allen wrench in, it moved.
Last month I found the rotor and collar mated against each other. No leaks. Repositioned the rotor and replaced all the set screws.
I think the spacing idea was suggested by the PYI tech I spoke with.

https://pyiinc.com/shaft-retention-collar.html

Pack it and forget it is my recommendation, if you still have the standard setup, dont switch, just use better packing.

GFO Packing | SG Group Div of MGP Systems Inc.

The navy wont be messing around with carbon seals.
Dead simple stupid is whats best.
It’s already being used by the US Navy and Coast Guard and many commercial work and fishing fleets. And, it’s approved by the American Bureau of Shipping.

<snip> Secondly, Would you put your vessel's future on something you got from Ebay?

What difference does it make where you buy it? A Rule 3700 from ebay is the same as the Rule 3700 from Fisheries Supply, Defender, or West Marine.

For a small hole a quick plug can be made out of a wax toilet ring. It can be forced into place and molded to fill the opening.

Or a rubber ball... Anything that takes up part of the hole diameter slows the downflooding.

What difference does it make where you buy it? A Rule 3700 from ebay is the same as the Rule 3700 from Fisheries Supply, Defender, or West Marine.

Not all things from Ebay are legit.
I purchased some Aquapel (rain-X) wipers from some vendor and 2 of 4 were empty, and the other two did NOTHING. There is a big problem with counterfeit products on eBay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom