Old 05-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Lazzaro

Does anyone know anything about these beauties? I may have lost my mind, but Iím taking a look at one.

Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Do you mean Lazzara? if so I do a bit about them

Old 05-20-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by siestakey View Post
Do you mean Lazzara? if so I do a bit about them

Yes, sorry talking on an iPhone. What do you think about them in general? The one Iím looking at is larger than I would like, but it has intrigued me.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
In general they were pretty good boats. A picky guy I know (and fellow Hatteras owner) captains one and really likes it. I've been on a few. The styling never did much for me, but the guts looked pretty good. YachtForums.com would be a good place to ask and research past posts on them.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Ask about Lazarras at the Hatteras Owners forum.... that Hatteras owning Lazzara captain may be a poster there. Even if he isn't there is a wealth of big boat knowledge there and I do know that Lazarras are held in high esteem by many of the forum members.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Yes, sorry talking on an iPhone. What do you think about them in general? The one Iím looking at is larger than I would like, but it has intrigued me.
I think they are great looking. The one I know very well is called liquid asset. Our dock neighbor bought it his first venture into larger boats and maybe this one is just a lemon but he has had so many problems with it

transmissions replaced

engine rebuild

chasing leaks

gel coat cracking

It is actually on the market now
Old 05-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: South Florida
Tampa built boat, the Lazzara family has a long legacy of boatbuilding. Columbia sailboats and then founders of the Gulfstar family of yachts before starting Lazzara.
For the most part well engineered and built boats. I have visited the factory (now the Bertram factory) many times. Lazarra's were built in a unique segmented mold that allowed flexibility in size from the same set of modular mold segments.
If I was shopping for that size fiberglass boat I would definitely consider them on the short list. With the exception of Delta and Westport there are no large fiberglass boat builders in the US anymore.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
Tampa built boat, the Lazzara family has a long legacy of boatbuilding. Columbia sailboats and then founders of the Gulfstar family of yachts before starting Lazzara.
For the most part well engineered and built boats. I have visited the factory (now the Bertram factory) many times. Lazarra's were built in a unique segmented mold that allowed flexibility in size from the same set of modular mold segments.
If I was shopping for that size fiberglass boat I would definitely consider them on the short list. With the exception of Delta and Westport there are no large fiberglass boat builders in the US anymore.

And I believe Northern Marine is baaaack as well.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:

Yes and the family paid attention to detail I am not sure if the 2 I am very familier with are just lemons or they had bad years of bad ownership, prior to the previous owners but they are great looking boats.

By the way you can take a tour of the new Bertram ship yard by appointment
Old 05-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:

Hatteras makes both a 90 footer and a 100 footer. Of course, Westport moves up from there. You can add Trinity to the list of American big yacht builders too. I'm pretty sure Christensen is back in the game too.

And Woodland Hills is right, the Hatt owning captain of a Lazzara is a frequent poster there on the HOF (where I post as GJH) as well as Yachtforums including a long thread now on the refit of his 53MY.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 05-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
A lot does depend on the year and the boat with Lazzara. They've gone through many iterations over the years with changes in design, ownership (infighting among relatives), and construction. Generally, they've been performance oriented. Occasionally they've had issues like cavitation or trim tabs needing changes or somewhat annoying but minor things and many of these have resulted from them taking a hull of one length and deciding to make a larger boat from that hull. If you ask about a specific model and year or specific boat on YF, you're likely to find someone very familiar, often even a captain who has run it. So, in general a good boat, but if you want to know further than that you need to get more specific.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
Guru

1999 75ft. As many of you know I am relocating because of my job. This would become my primary residence on the gulf coast. Southerly stays on the east coast, but my brick and mortar home would go. Since this would be a major purchase and lifestyle change, I’m looking into it very carefully.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
Guru

This is the one I know well and my guess is most of the kinks are out of this one. Also the interior refit was much higher then stated
1999 Lazzara 76 Skylounge Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 05-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #14
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Do you really need 5 cabins and 6 heads?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
Guru

I'm pretty certain neither of these builders has a vessel under construction at this time. I know Christensen has an entity as I have recently seen correspondence with them about one of their last builds. Trinity was not a fiberglass boat builder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
You can add Trinity to the list of American big yacht builders too. I'm pretty sure Christensen is back in the game too.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:50 PM   #16
Guru

One is a day head, very handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Do you really need 5 cabins and 6 heads?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
I'm pretty certain neither of these builders has a vessel under construction at this time. I know Christensen has an entity as I have recently seen correspondence with them about one of their last builds. Trinity was not a fiberglass boat builder.

Sorry, I didn't know fiberglass was one of the criteria.

Christensen says they have boats under construction, maybe one of our Portlanders could go across the river and have a look...

Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
We parked next to a 70 foot marlow this winter. The washing and waxing alone would keep you busy. The marlow owners pay a yard 5k to wash and wax, and detail their boat. Engine replacement ran over $100,000. I love the boat, but decided my 46 footer is work enough.

I would only own such a large boat if I could afford to pay someone to do all the work. I am not afraid of the work, but it is a serious amount of boat.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:

Christensen says they have boats under construction, maybe one of our Portlanders could go across the river and have a look...
Well, Trinity is not building recreational boats.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:

Christensen construction has generally continued off and on but has also been for the owner of Christensen or those close to him. I'm not aware of orders from the general public since the bankruptcy.