Old 10-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Not using your AIS

I've noted that some boaters don't always use their AIS when underway. So, why have it and not use it? Is it perceived as an invasion of privacy?
Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Mine wasn't transmitting after 5 years and I didn't know it!

Keith
Old 10-20-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've noted that some boaters don't always use their AIS when underway. So, why have it and not use it? Is it perceived as an invasion of privacy?
Yes, it is by many.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:41 AM   #4

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Liberty
Vessel Model: 57 foot Halvorsen
I know here in Sydney Australia , some vessels don't turn them on for just putting around, not much point really, and yes they do it just to have some privacy, as you are aware you can have your phone alerted every time a nominated vessel is on the move

I know personally I really only use it when at Sea and it is very useful when in shipping lanes and particularly at night to avoid an unwanted collision or anxious moments.

I don't have an issue with having them switched off at times, bit like your radar , only really need it at certain times when required.

Cheers Chris D Liberty
Liberty2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Mine is on all the time, but I must admit I am not afraid of people knowing where I am or where I am going.
I have nothing to hide.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 04:00 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
Mine is on all the time, but I must admit I am not afraid of people knowing where I am or where I am going.
I have nothing to hide.
Ditto.

Mine is on my electronics breaker, so is only off at the dock. At anchor I can turn off everything else and leave AIS on, or turn the lot off and use the iPad for anchor drag alert.

Running in the Brisbane River AIS is quite useful as the CityCat ferries are often at 20kn and they need to cross from one side of the river to the other a number of times in order to dock at all the passenger terminals. So they can come up behind you quite quickly. I like to know where they are so I don't cramp 'sea room' for them at the terminals but at the same time keep close to shore and clear of them at other times. I monitor the river traffic channel but the 'Cats seldom call me up regarding passing. But all too often there is one that either has AIS off or it isn't working for some reason. Next time that happens I'm going to hail them on the VHF to see if they area aware of it or not. AFAIK its mandatory for them to have it, and it should be on.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:36 AM   #7
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
I am not afraid of people knowing where I am or where I am going. I have nothing to hide.
I've heard people say that over the years, especially when it comes to the Patriot Act and the government's domestic security programs. Personally I totally disagree.

Just because someone has nothing to hide doesn't mean he can't cherish his personal right to privacy.

Just because someone cherishes his personal right to privacy doesn't mean he HAS something to hide!

Perhaps I'm more sensitive to this topic, but living in this part of the world, and previously in places like Syria where my movements were tracked daily, one starts to appreciate what the Founding Fathers promised us, but which is slowly being eroded.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
While I do use mine all the time while moving and most of the time when anchored out, I do turn it off at the dock. I know a number of people who only use it in receive mode and don't transmit their position. Their logic seems to be that they want to know where others are but not be seen. Guess I understand that if you're at your favorite fishing spot. The earlier units (like on my charter boat) didn't require you to put in a MMSI number or any data about your boat. This drives me nuts. There's a boat coming at you at 20 knots in the rain, and you have no idea if you're looking for a 25' center console or a 400' container ship. Interestingly, it's now required to be programmed by the dealer before they sell it to you, by federal law. You can still run it though without transmitting your position.

Not really worried about big brother or the privacy issue. During the refit I added the cloaking software to my radar, so now I can disappear with the flip of a switch.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
While I do use mine all the time while moving and most of the time when anchored out, I do turn it off at the dock. I know a number of people who only use it in receive mode and don't transmit their position. Their logic seems to be that they want to know where others are but not be seen. Guess I understand that if you're at your favorite fishing spot. The earlier units (like on my charter boat) didn't require you to put in a MMSI number or any data about your boat. This drives me nuts. There's a boat coming at you at 20 knots in the rain, and you have no idea if you're looking for a 25' center console or a 400' container ship. Interestingly, it's now required to be programmed by the dealer before they sell it to you, by federal law. You can still run it though without transmitting your position.

Not really worried about big brother or the privacy issue. During the refit I added the cloaking software to my radar, so now I can disappear with the flip of a switch.

Ted
Not sure who programmed the AIS for the guy at the end of my dock, a 60' boat. Whoever did it entered the boat dimensions in feet when the units required were metres. The guy looks humongous on the chartplotter! Fortunately he almost never leaves the dock and his AIS is normally off. So the rest of the marina is usually visible on the chartplotter.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:36 AM   #10
Guru

My AIS is still in the store. I haven't seen the need of it yet.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Many older units, like mine, only receive AIS signals. Personally, I was less than enthusiastic when the FCC permitted recreational boaters to also transmit. In busy waterways like the San Juan Islands during the summer, my chart plotter display can look like it has the measles with AIS targets everywhere from all size vessels. I still prefer receiving only commercial vessel traffic. Call me a curmudgeon ;-)
Willard 40
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I have been called a "poacher" on here for having a receive only AIS.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #13

City: CA
Why don't warships transmit AIS data? I think I know the answer why NOT them?
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #14
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Your privacy left a long time ago if you own a cell phone, Direct TV account or an I Pad.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
The area where we are has some small tows from a sand plant that are used in their business and also as helper boats to help tows thru a old RR bridge and into a lock a few miles away. They have their AIS on 24-7 and when I turn on my plotter up they jump and the cpa warning.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #16
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
+1. If I installed one I'd be the only recreational vessel on the water with AIS.

I suppose the tugs have 'em but they're easy to spot quite a distance away and with binocs I can read the tug name if I need to call 'em on the VHF.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Our AIS is on all the time.

It's not a privacy thing for us. I want our last known position to be out there.

If we ever call for help it might just make a difference.

I want the boat coming around the corner to know who we are, our course and speed.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
+2. Have not seen any practical value for it for recreational cruising in the region where we boat. If the boat had one we'd use it simply because it would be another cool electronics toy to play with.

But with a pair of large dedicated plotters, a very good radar, and VTS on the radio should we want commercial ship info we have never in over 17 years of cruising found ouselves wanting or needing to know what was on the other side of an island or the name of that bulk carrier five miles away.

About once a year I wonder if we should get an AIS unit. We have room for it on the console and I fail to see any "privacy" issues witth the thing. But every time i consider it I come to realize (again) it would serve no truly useful purpose for us. It would give us a bunch of interesting information but it's actually not information we need to run the boat safely to our destination. It would just be more clutter added to the information we already have.

So we have so far decided to put the money in the fuel tanks and carry on boating.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #19

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
I have a receive only setup. It came with my VHF radio and does supply interesting information. At night or in reduced visibility, the AIS information is a nice add on to the radar.

I question why so many boaters don't seem to be able, or know how to turn their AIS transmitters off. I went into Baltimore a couple of weeks ago and had over a dozen AIS collision warnings on my plotter. All from docked boats.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
never in over 17 years of cruising found ouselves wanting or needing to know what was on the other side of an island or the name of that bulk carrier five miles away.

About once a year I wonder if we should get an AIS unit. . But every time i consider it I come to realize (again) it would serve no truly useful purpose for us. It would give us a bunch of interesting information but it's actually not information we need to run the boat safely to our destination. It would just be more clutter added to the information we already have.

So we have so far decided to put the money in the fuel tanks and carry on boating.
Agree 100%
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote