Launching Your Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reefdrifter wrote:
Be careful when launching your boat next time!!!!!

http://biertijd.com/mediaplayer/?itemid=25790
I was expecting to see someone at a boat launch ramp loose the car or truck.

This is a bit more drastic.* I wonder what kept it from going all the way in, which may have been fatal for the boat as well.

When I worked at Everett Engineering we had a guy tip over a rather large crane. Nobody hurt and he didn't even get fired. It's somewhat easy to do and happens more often than one would think. I had a job for awhile delivering roof trusses on a truck w a boom that extended to 60' and found it to be quite challenging at times. I love to operate cranes but it's not as much play as it's serious business and quite stressful.

My boat will needed to be loaded by crane onto a ship.* And unloaded by crane from ship to dock.* Then placed onto water by crane.* Oh my.

img_41495_0_cf84a86d81119ebca769c7fb0a9b6413.jpg

In 1977 at Port Hueneme CA, a 1976 72' Sunseeker Predator valued at $3.6 million, was being off-loaded from the m/v Madame Butterfly.* The 70 foot lift (300 ton crane) went terribly wrong.* It was said the crane operators eyes were "as large as tuna cans".

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Puerto Madero, Chiapas, MX

Attachments

• disaster2007.crane-yacht9[1].gif
    disaster2007.crane-yacht9[1].gif
    273.8 KB · Views: 76
  • disaster2007.crane-yacht10[1].gif
    disaster2007.crane-yacht10[1].gif
    245.9 KB · Views: 70
  • disaster2007.crane-yacht14[1].gif
    disaster2007.crane-yacht14[1].gif
    231.6 KB · Views: 77
Eric, you worked at Everett Engineering which was just our side our gate.* They had to move South of Kimberly Clark paper mill.* The port has big plan for the marina so they move all the industrial off the property.* Hopefully by then we will be retired and can move.* Several boat have been drop by the Port of Seattle, that is bound to happen every now and then.

Mark where is your boat going to be off loaded?

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Thursday 10th of February 2011 10:27:08 AM

Mark:* I like the picture.* That's the way we feel every time we haul out on a travel lift.* In 1997 we were hauling out at the Block & Tackle Boat Yard, Des Moines, WA (under different management and name now).* The plan was to be out of the water for 3 days. They had pressure washed the bottom and were*turning us around to spot us in the yard when*the rear strap broke, we dropped 2 feet on pavement.* The back of the keel, skeg and end of the rudder hit at the same time and were blown apart and leaving a hole in the pavement.* The boat displaced 32,000 lbs.* I don't have the time to list all the damage other than to say the boat was 1.5 inches wider after the accident till some bulkheads were replaced.* Four and a half months and $66,000 later we were back in the water.*

We prefer marine railways.* As they ship happens.

-- Edited by Larry M on Thursday 10th of February 2011 12:13:31 PM

Old Stone wrote:

Boy would I like to get a miniature of that statue. I would mount it right in the center of my helm shelf in the pilothouse! ...
I took the photo about 7 years ago in a WWII-bombed-out church in Hamburg, Germany*(if memory serves).* I wouldn't be surprised if there were miniatures available there.

*Add edit:* My memory served.* The statue is at the St. Nikolai Church although this article doesn't mention it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Nikolai,_Hamburg

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 10th of February 2011 02:01:20 PM

Phil Fill wrote:

Mark where is your boat going to be off loaded?
Oakland/Alameda, CA.* The big question is when.

Someone else's Coot:

682952_13.jpg

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 10th of February 2011 05:56:38 PM

there were two cranes, each holding one side of the cradle.
the one failing was the one lifting the heavier part of the boat (pilot house and presumable the machinery).
boat seems very seaworthy, reminds me of one of those rescue boats which can go upside down and take in want but never sink.

It had the conformation of a PILOT boat.* Interesting crane technique.

Eric is right.* Operating a crane is serious business.* We use them.* You don't have to touch a power line to get an arc.* The crane operator on a construction site can kill some one with only a slip of attention.

Back
Top Bottom