Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #1
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
New one to me

National Liquidators - 2003 Menorquin 160 Motor Cruiser, 52 ft. - National Liquidators --Never seen one of these before, but sure looks interesting. Look at that beam 16'03". Low profile too. From what I can see via the photos, is seems to be well finished, They always have about 30 more photos they can email you.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
Old 01-11-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Nice boat indeed! Although that swim platform has me confused, it looks like half a swim platform, and the other half has a Pasarelle, interesting.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Menorquin

Here is a link to the builders home page. Open for business in Spain.

Really a good looking boat and the engines look like someone cared for it too.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Thats a really good looking boat!

I love the downeast style, and the woodwork looks first class!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
Old 01-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
I think passagemaker did a article on those boats a few years back...they looked really impressive.
The woodwork looks great...the only negative are the green engines..I have a green monster... not a real fan.
Hollywood
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
When I was first cutting my teeth as a broker I worked for the brokerage who imported that very boat. They never did sell it and went out of business last year after 33yrs. The boat is beautiful but US buyers were not interested. The boat also is very, very thirsty. The price was 400k if memory serves.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Valencia
Vessel Name: Song of Summer
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
Certainly.
Menorquin is a model coming from the general design called as "LLaud" in Spain in Balearic islands (Menorca) and is very well known.
Initial models were totally open for fishing.
They have been making many derivatives to improve her abilities for comfort and planning in order to improve speed in the full displacement hull with some sort of "V" transom hull and swim platform. This is why transom is strange as are attachments to the original design.
They are very reputated for seaworthiness and good finish and you can see many of them in Valencia and Balearic islands in Spain.

Menorca Island waters are difficult as you have sudden gales with waves up to three meters in minutes. This is coming from the west winds running between the Pyrenees and Alps mountains, making the Gulf of Leon to be known as one of the most dangerous areas in the Mediterranean, and Menorca is just straight tin that wind jet.

Big cruisers ships like "Explorer of the seas", etc are cautious when coming from Genoa to Barcelona as the voyage could be very uncomfortable for the passengers due to cross seas.

Generally foreigners believe that the Mediterranean is a calmed sea, and this is wrong.
Generated waves are high in amplitude and very short in length, avoiding the boat to recover from the initial wave and crashing in the base of the following one.

You can see this in my video in youtube,

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...erranean&sm=12
Old 01-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
I looked at Menorquins closely about 6-8 years ago (the 40 and 43 ft models), and took one for a sea trial. I also looked at a very similar Llaud made by another company, Myabca, of which very few were sold in the U.S. (I may have been on the only one imported).

I echo alberto's comments. They are beautiful, well-made boats, with breathtaking interiors. The interior wood craftsmanship was the finest I've ever seen on a 'production' boat. They were also very solidly built, solid glass. Even the superstructures had no real 'core' material, but used heavily saturated glass coremat. The boats felt like they were hewn from a solid piece of steel, very reassuring.

The performance of the boats was a little strange. As alberto said, the Llaud hull was originally intended as a double-ended full displacement hull, at which I suspect it excelled. In order to gain speed, both Menorquin and Myabca added extensive, structural swim platforms which were really flat section hull extensions (molded in with the Meorquin, and bolted on with massive 'pipes' on the Myabca). With twin engine power, the newly added flat after sections allowed the boats to semi-plane, getting speeds in the high teens.

They have a LOT of exterior wood. It's gorgeous when freshly varnished, but a lot of time would be spent keeping it up.

The one I sea trialed handled short steep waves extremely well, no pounding whatsoever, a very smooth and stable ride. But, it was a fuel hog, and threw a big wake at above displacement speeds, suggesting that the hull form was not particularly efficient at those speeds (which is not surprising, as it is a displacement hull modified and pushed to semi-planning speeds).

I liked them very much. But, since we tend to cruise at semi-displacement speeds most of the time (14-16 kts), the Menorquin would have been very thirsty. I think if someone cruises at displacement speeds most of the time, and uses the planning speeds only occasionally, they could be a fabulous boat.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
They are strange. And probably very inefficient as they are a modification of a FD fishing boat. Many people put a plastic thing (fin) on the cavitation plate of an OB to reduce stern squat. These boats have a similar thing (board, panel, plate) attached to the stern at approx WL. The idea is to give the boat semi planing capabilities. It works somewhat well. But I suspect that a SD hull designed for the purpose would be much more efficient.

But the Spanish builder builds beautiful boats that are probably as sound as they are beautiful. There are lots of people that tend to like unique things so on that plane I'm surprised it didn't sell. That explains why they fell off the map.

North Western Washington State USA
Old 01-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The most famous manufacturer in this area is Belliure.
They are very reputated for sailboats, but also in the last year offer a sort of fast trawler top quality, better than menorquins and with original design.
Belliure | Tras la estrella
Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I also looked at two of these boats in our search for our first trawler. They were gorgeous boats, low profile, heavy and solid. Machinery spaces on the smaller versions, from what I recall, were very tight. There is a 52 here in Sarasota. The keel looks like something off a Viking ship, and beamy, wow. Everything about the boat looks and feels massive. The Volvo is a good engine, but I didn't want to be married to Volvo with those twins.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #12
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I saw one years ago at a boat show I didn't go aboard, I beileve it was smaller than 52' it looked very well finished the "swim platform" looked strange to me. To me the pictures in the OP the interiror make it look tight for a 52' boat.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:17 AM   #13

City: Central Ohio
I really like it.

I am also quite happy to see a trend having developed whereby the price range where I will be looking when it's time to buy puts me into some very nice vessels.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Exactly.
Standards in wood, design and layout are below GB.
In fact some of them at moorings, feel very curious making questions about GB, as there are no many trawlers in Spain
Old 01-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #15
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
I looked at Menorquins closely about 6-8 years ago (the 40 and 43 ft models), and took one for a sea trial. I also looked at a very similar Llaud made by another company, Myabca, of which very few were sold in the U.S. (I may have been on the only one imported).

They have a LOT of exterior wood. It's gorgeous when freshly varnished, but a lot of time would be spent keeping it up.

I've seen at least two here on the Chesapeake. One is (I think) a 39' at Herrington Harbour North, and the other (I think slight larger) was at the Hyatt in Cambridge when we were last there. I spoke with the owners of the second, and they really liked it. I thought kind of odd-looking, since the swim platforms jar the lines of the canoe stern. Wonderful wood work, but I expect that'd be boatloads of maintenance.

Endurance, I think I've seen you in our marina, maybe just prior to your most recent cruise southward? Hope you're doing well...

-Chris
Old 01-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Escher View Post
I really like it.

I am also quite happy to see a trend having developed whereby the price range where I will be looking when it's time to buy puts me into some very nice vessels.
That "trend" is called time, and depreciation. The longer you wait to buy, the cheaper machines will be as time is ticking on, and used machines (unless classic cars) don't go up in price. What cost $800k new in 2000 sold for $450k by 02, and $190k by 2013. Old Hatteras's and Rolls Royces, which cost a fortune new- are begging on the market now. I just sent my mother comps for recent sold Rolls Royces because she thinks her furniture she bought new in the 60s is valuable. NOT. Along with Silver being at $20.00 an ounce and gold at $1255., as a reminder her Silver isn't worth much either.
The gamble is: Will you even get the time to buy, as nobody knows when their time is up. Saddest thing I see (and I've seen it hundreds of times over the past 30 years I've owned my Brokerage) is guys waiting to buy when: "Kids graduate from college, Kids get a job, daughter get's married and moves away, win the lotto, AND waiting to retire". Then I later see the widow (only twice ever the widower)who tells me "it was so sad, Bob died last year". Poor bastards worked their whole lives, waiting to live the dream (gonna buy a motorcycle, gonna buy a motorhome, gonna buy a boat) and didn't do anything but leave their wives rich. How do I meet the widows? They show up with new younger boyfriend and buy a boat with 'Bob's' insurance. Thanks Bob! lol
As I heard a Jewish Broker YELL at a Pilot he was showing a boat to right after 9/11.. "You know what those pilots on those planes would had told you? BUY THE BOAT-I WISH WE COULD! (yeah that was ballsy, but he made a good point)
As a disclaimer.. I got lucky- one day in my mid 20's I was coming back from sailing on Lake Lanier (north of Atlanta) and stopped at a little country store to get some (more) beer on the way home, an old timer in overalls saw my Top Sider shoes, and said "a young man like you shouldn't waste your life up here going in circles on a lake, go down to the Ocean, where you can go some place". I went home told the wife "Bobby Jo, a angel just instructed me to move back to New Orleans!" and the rest is history. Thanks old man!! (he looked just like the geezer in the bank during the robbery scene in the movie Raising Arizona) Better young and playing (research) than working! It worked out fine.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #17
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Your preaching to the choir with me. I tell clients/lookers this very thing all the time. This is your life right now. The time is now you don't know there will be a tomorrow for you. "My only regrets are my economies".
Old 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Go small and go now.

All this talk about "passage makers" on the forum lately reminds me of a listing story Tucker Fallon shared. He had a guy listing his boat(sub 40' Carver aft cabin I think) and the guy mentioned pair of water makers on board as equipment. He asked where he had been on the boat and he said South America and back.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
The keel looks like something off a Viking ship, and beamy, wow...

...The Volvo is a good engine, but I didn't want to be married to Volvo with those twins.
Cognitive dissonance! Love the viking, hate the vikings.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:36 PM   #20
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
That "trend" is called time, and depreciation. The longer you wait to buy, the cheaper machines will be as time is ticking on, and used machines (unless classic cars) don't go up in price. What cost $800k new in 2000 sold for $450k by 02, and $190k by 2013. Old Hatteras's and Rolls Royces, which cost a fortune new- are begging on the market now. I just sent my mother comps for recent sold Rolls Royces because she thinks her furniture she bought new in the 60s is valuable. NOT. Along with Silver being at $20.00 an ounce and gold at $1255., as a reminder her Silver isn't worth much either.
The gamble is: Will you even get the time to buy, as nobody knows when their time is up. Saddest thing I see (and I've seen it hundreds of times over the past 30 years I've owned my Brokerage) is guys waiting to buy when: "Kids graduate from college, Kids get a job, daughter get's married and moves away, win the lotto, AND waiting to retire". Then I later see the widow (only twice ever the widower)who tells me "it was so sad, Bob died last year". Poor bastards worked their whole lives, waiting to live the dream (gonna buy a motorcycle, gonna buy a motorhome, gonna buy a boat) and didn't do anything but leave their wives rich. How do I meet the widows? They show up with new younger boyfriend and buy a boat with 'Bob's' insurance. Thanks Bob! lol
As I heard a Jewish Broker YELL at a Pilot he was showing a boat to right after 9/11.. "You know what those pilots on those planes would had told you? BUY THE BOAT-I WISH WE COULD! (yeah that was ballsy, but he made a good point)
As a disclaimer.. I got lucky- one day in my mid 20's I was coming back from sailing on Lake Lanier (north of Atlanta) and stopped at a little country store to get some (more) beer on the way home, an old timer in overalls saw my Top Sider shoes, and said "a young man like you shouldn't waste your life up here going in circles on a lake, go down to the Ocean, where you can go some place". I went home told the wife "Bobby Jo, a angel just instructed me to move back to New Orleans!" and the rest is history. Thanks old man!! (he looked just like the geezer in the bank during the robbery scene in the movie Raising Arizona) Better young and playing (research) than working! It worked out fine.
Agreed. I wouldn't spend two or three years of my life looking for a boat to use (unless I've already got one). That said, I look at boats akin to bicycles; buy the frame, everything else is (and will be) replaceable. Buy a good hull and you can make it your own.
Closed Thread