Lancaster bomber photos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
For those of you who might appreciate them, here's a link to an MG forum I frequent for some interesting pictures.

My father -in -law was a Hampshire farmer, and a tail gunner in a Lancaster during WW2. They were shot up over the channel he and crash landed near Winchester. He still had some shafts of glass in his neck till the day he died. Apparently being a reargunner was a pretty risky job.

He used to host the reunion of his squadron on the front lawn of the farm, all very English with cucumber sandwichs , Pimms etc. A bit of an eye opener for a bloke from an Ozzie country town.

"Bucky" was named after my beloved uncle,....a 25-mission B-24 Pilot and a great man (also with the biggest set of buck-teeth you ever saw). I have a romantic relationship with the all the old bombers, but there must never have been a sweeter harmony than those four Merlins. I understand that there may be a remake of the DamBuster Movie. Sure hope they can capture that sound. Thanks for posting the link, Dave.

I've never seen a live Lancaster but I've seen and heard plenty of P-51s. I've heard it said that when a Lanc flew over it sounded like four P-51s in close formation. It must be a wonderful sound.

Thanks for the link to the MG forum. I've got an MGB-GT with the "Special" insignia on it. I don't know how to tell if it really is an MGB-GT Special or if someone just stuck the insignia on a regular MGB-GT. I bet someone on the forum can tell me.

OK, OK, I vote the OTDE be opened again,*to post these blasted bloody non boating discussion some place.*
biggrin.gif

If you guys keep it up I will start discussions on propr decor and boating attire.*
bleh.gif

HopCar wrote:
I've never seen a live Lancaster but I've seen and heard plenty of P-51s. I've heard it said that when a Lanc flew over it sounded like four P-51s in close formation. It must be a wonderful sound.
*Ditto except it was a Merlin-equipped Hurricane fighter at the Duxford (airfield) Imperical War Museum.* Naturally, they have a fully-restored*Lancaster on display.* I doubt there is a better museum of airplanes.

markpierce wrote:
*Ditto except it was a Merlin-equipped Hurricane fighter at the Duxford (airfield) Imperical War Museum.* Naturally, they have a fully-restored*Lancaster on display.* I doubt there is a better museum of airplanes.

Try the RAF museum outside London.* Arguably the best collection of planes from WWI all the way up to the Cold War outside of the National Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian.* The Battle of Britain museum next to the main museum is outstanding, not just a collection of planes but a recreation of what things were like in England during the blitz.* So far as I know none of their planes fly but they have a really amazing collection from little WWI fighters up to a Vulcan bomber.

There is a restored Lancaster in Canada that makes (or used to make) appearances at airshows and such.* Painted black, I've seen it fly in and out of Boeing Field a few times over the years but I have not seen it here lately.

It's an impressive sound to hear it, but not so impressive, I think, as Fifi, the only flying example of a B-29 that I had the privilege of flying in as well as doing a lot of air-to-air filming with for a documentary I produced to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the B-29.

I also produced a video commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Boeing Model 299 (B-17).* For the ceremony marking the occasion four B-17s flew in close formation about 500-1000 feet above the runway at Boeing Field.* Now that's a sound I'll never forget.* I can't even imagine what 500 to 1000 of them sounded like.

Marin wrote:
Try the RAF museum outside London.* Arguably the best collection of planes from WWI all the way up to the Cold War outside of the National Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian.*
*Marin, we're talking about the same museum.* ...*If Smithsonian has a larger collection, my recollection is that many planes aren't on display.

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 01:58:01 PM

Phil Fill wrote:
If you guys keep it up I will start discussions on propr decor and boating attire.*
bleh.gif

*This from the guy who says he has a pair of these on his boat (or I think that's what you once said)?*
disbelief.gif

download.spark

markpierce wrote:Marin wrote:
Try the RAF museum outside London.* Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian.*
*Marin, we're talking about the same museum.* ...*If Smithsonian has a larger collection, my recollection is that many planes aren't on display.

The RAF Museum is in Hendon, a suburb of London.* It is operated by the Ministry of Defense.* It is not associated with the Imperial War Museum, nor does it have any connection with Duxford, which is a separate museum on its own.* Duxford has flyable airplanes in its collection.* If any of the planes in the RAF museum are capable of flight, they are never flown to my knowledge.* The same is true, I believe, of the Imperial War Museum.

If one includes the relatively new and huge Udvar Hazy gallery at Dulles Airport and the restoration facility outside Washington, DC, the National Air & Space Museum at the Smithsonian has, so far as I know, the largest collection of aircraft on the planet.* I've not been to the Hazy gallery yet, but I have been to the restoration facility on several occasions for projects I've had at work.* The collection of planes there undergoing or waiting for restoration is simply amazing.* Planes I knew about and many I had never heard of before.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 20th of March 2012 02:30:26 PM

Marin wrote:*
The RAF Museum is in Hendon, a suburb of London.* It is operated by the Ministry of Defense.* It is not associated with the Imperial War Museum* ..

*I'll try to visit there whenever going again to jolly England.

skipperdude wrote:
Why is England Jolly.

SD
*Because of John Bull.

download.spark

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom