Lake Worth inlet at night.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't checked in because I haven't hit a spot that has customs yet.

West End does but we bypassed that. We anchored out at mangrove cay (uninhabited) first night, now here.

I thought as long as you didn't get off the boat it was OK? We are going to Green Turtle tomorrow to check in. Was trying for GTC or Spanish to check in today, but huge thunderstorms slowed my progress.

Should I not get in the dinghy and putt putt around either? I don't want to go to jail.
I thought I read it was OK to check in at my earliest opportunity. I just haven't had that opportunity yet. It's not like I'm not trying to check in-- I would do that here if there was a custom location here.

You are still flying the quarantine flag so no getting off the boat.

You should be absolutely fine anchoring with the yellow flag as you have not gone ashore. Many boats anchor at Great Sale before checking is at, say, Spanish, and that is fine.

I wouldn't push it past two nights though. AND no wetting a line - that they do take very seriously!

Oh crap. Forgot to put up my yellow flag. Thanks.

Do I fly my American flag AND the quarantine flag?

Last edited:
I thought as long as you didn't get off the boat it was OK? We are going to Green Turtle tomorrow to check in. Was trying for GTC or Spanish to check in today, but huge thunderstorms slowed my progress.

Once you're anchored you are in the country. Just be honest if you get checked. Be nice and respectful and you should be ok. Tell them you were going to GTC and had to stop there due to weather. That is understandable.

Visiting boaters must clear Customs and Immigration at the nearest designated Port of Entry. As you enter each port, fly the yellow quarantine flag and notify Customs of your arrival. Only the captain is permitted to leave the boat until your vessel has been cleared.

Customs and Immigration officials will come to your vessel. Everyone on board must have proof of citizenship and fill out an immigration card. US citizens must present a passport. Before leaving The Islands Of The Bahamas, be sure to surrender your copy of the immigration card at the last Bahamian port you visit.​

Definitely don't go ashore.

Greetings.
Mr. 01. National flag should be on stern and quarantine or courtesy flags should be on starboard spreader. While, as mentioned, the Bahamian government seems to be somewhat "relaxed" about checking in I would really make the effort to do so. Thunderstorms are, IMO, a valid reason for delaying check-in but...

Yellow flag until you clear then switch it out for the Bahamian courtesy flag, both on a starboard spreader. Do not fly the Bahamian flag until you clear as that is exactly what it signifies - that you have cleared.

I really did plan to check in today. A huge thunderstorm made me reverse course and run away. Lost at least two hours doing that.

The first day after coming through memory rock I got surprised by a big storm and had both sails up 100%. I think I was worn out after the GS crossing and sleepy, so like an idiot I sailed right into it, thinking I could out run it. It basically stayed right on top of me for what seemed like an hour and lightening was everywhere. I had to go out and pull in the jib during all that because it was flopping around violently. I'm obviously not a good sailor! ��

After that experience I decided I would avoid at all costs. I also need to remember to get the sails reefed or taken down BEFORE the storm hits.

Last edited:
Greetings.
Mr. 01. National flag should be on stern and quarantine or courtesy flags should be on starboard spreader. While, as mentioned, the Bahamian government seems to be somewhat "relaxed" about checking in I would really make the effort to do so. Thunderstorms are, IMO, a valid reason for delaying check-in but...

In the future make a point to head to a POE. You are allowed to transit but not to anchor (or fish in Bahamian waters) prior to checking in. This is why locations like Cat Cay and Old Bahama Bay and Chub Cay have so many people clear in. If they ask when you reach GTC, tell them you were forced to stop on the way by the thunderstorms.

Likely all will be well. Had you gone ashore though, that might not have been the case.

Most sailors avoid West End like the plague. Not sure why, but the GS to GTC is by far the most popular sail route to customs in the Abacos.
Anybody know how Memory Rock got installed? Not likely to be natural.

Headed to Green Turtle Cay to check in today.

How are the entrances to White and Black sound? White looks a little deeper, but Black Sound is closer to customs/town.

I draw 4' so a little worried about that 1.3 meter depth (4.2 feet) going into Black Sound.

Also, the depths on my Garmin plotter seem to be off here in these first two anchorages, or my depth sounder is off maybe? Thursday pulled into a spot that my sounder said was 6', but I dove the anchor and it was deeper by 2-3'. Then coming to this harbor near Foxtown yesterday the plotter and charts showed no less that 7' at low tide, but my sounder went to 5.5' at one point coming in.

Use White Sound, not black. Much better approach and anchorage. Then either dinghy across to town or rent a golf cart (my recco).

Use White Sound, not black. Much better approach and anchorage. Then either dinghy across to town or rent a golf cart (my recco).

Did you get a slip at Bluff House Marina? Are they still open? I've been trying to call them but no answer.

Will customs come to the dock?

Did you get a slip at Bluff House Marina? Are they still open? I've been trying to call them but no answer.

Will customs come to the dock?

To my knowledge, there are five ports of entry in the Abacos. They are:

Government Dock at Marsh Harbour
Government Dock at Sandy Point
Walker's Cay
Spanish Cay
Treasure Cay Marina

I have no knowledge of customs at Bluff House or anywhere on Green Turtle Cay. If others do, they can correct me. I've always been checked in before reaching that area. Treasure Cay would be the nearest I believe.

Don't know if there is customs or not as I always checked in at West End on my way over.

You are going to be passing Spanish anyway so go do it there.

To my knowledge, there are five ports of entry in the Abacos. They are:

Government Dock at Marsh Harbour
Government Dock at Sandy Point
Walker's Cay
Spanish Cay
Treasure Cay Marina

I have no knowledge of customs at Bluff House or anywhere on Green Turtle Cay. If others do, they can correct me. I've always been checked in before reaching that area. Treasure Cay would be the nearest I believe.

Does Walker's Cay still have a Customs Officer on site? I can't cite it, but I thought I heard, that there is not any longer.

Last edited:
No customs at Walkers now.

None there now as far as I know although the Bahamas official site still shows it. Is the airstrip there still in use?

I still get notifications showing the Island for sale. Last I knew the price was $14 million for the entire island. The last serious interest I knew of was about three years ago and didn't materialize into a sale.

Last I heard over at FloridaSportsman was that there still was an officer on Walkers.

Last I heard over at FloridaSportsman was that there still was an officer on Walkers.

That's why I asked about the airstrip. I don't think they're stationed at the marina but available. As the northernmost island, Walker Cay is still very significant.

The commercial viability of the island is another question entirely.

Checked in on GTC over in New Plymouth. Took the dinghy over there in a rainstorm and showed up like a drowned rat. Keeping it classy!

The customs lady was very nice. Easy process.

Checked in on GTC over in New Plymouth. Took the dinghy over there in a rainstorm and showed up like a drowned rat. Keeping it classy!

Their customs people are very nice. Checking in the Bahamas is a lot easier than checking in South Florida. Glad you're all in and settled into GTC.

Greetings,
Mr. "Now Legal" 01. Great. Now, take down the yellow quarantine flag and hoist the Bahamian courtesy flag. I don't expect to hear from you for at least another 2 weeks! Have fun...

Tip?

Back
Top Bottom