Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Shiplet
Vessel Model: 382 Diesel Duck
Label bilge-pump discharges ?

Yesterday a slip neighbor's pumps started going full-time. One was at the bow and it was pumping a steady stream of water overboard. A second smaller pump at the stern was also putting out a constant, steady but smaller discharge.

The owner was not aboard so we started getting concerned. After some discussion we decided we should alert the marina. I did not want to climb aboard without permission or at least not without the marina knowing about it.

The marina staff promptly came down and agreed that it didn't look right, then he said "I think someone is aboard" !

It turns out the owner was onboard after all !! The water flow was from a heater. We were certainly surprised that the owner was on board but it sure got us thinking.

If someone saw our bilge pumps running we'd hope they would report it, but how would they know that it was the bilge pumps and not a reverse air heater or cooler ?

So, my thought is that with the prevalence of water cooled freezer compressors, fridge compressors, reverse air heater/coolers ... maybe we should label the above waterline bilge pump outlets so that someone passing by can tell that it is our bilge pumps that are running ?

It doesn't have to be a huge sign, just some label easily read from the dock.

This is probably not an original idea but I'd certainly appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

-Sven
Trawler_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler_traveler View Post
Yesterday a slip neighbor's pumps started going full-time. One was at the bow and it was pumping a steady stream of water overboard. A second smaller pump at the stern was also putting out a constant, steady but smaller discharge.

The owner was not aboard so we started getting concerned. After some discussion we decided we should alert the marina. I did not want to climb aboard without permission or at least not without the marina knowing about it.

The marina staff promptly came down and agreed that it didn't look right, then he said "I think someone is aboard" !

It turns out the owner was onboard after all !! The water flow was from a heater. We were certainly surprised that the owner was on board but it sure got us thinking.

If someone saw our bilge pumps running we'd hope they would report it, but how would they know that it was the bilge pumps and not a reverse air heater or cooler ?

So, my thought is that with the prevalence of water cooled freezer compressors, fridge compressors, reverse air heater/coolers ... maybe we should label the above waterline bilge pump outlets so that someone passing by can tell that it is our bilge pumps that are running ?

It doesn't have to be a huge sign, just some label easily read from the dock.

This is probably not an original idea but I'd certainly appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

-Sven
Leave a hull diagram identifying the overboard discharges at the marina office.
That should assist in identifying any problems.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Shiplet
Vessel Model: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Leave a hull diagram identifying the overboard discharges at the marina office.
That should assist in identifying any problems.
That's fine if you are a dock-queen or non-cruiser. I'm talking about when you actually take your trawler out, away from a dock-condo slip.

-Sven
Trawler_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Trawler Traveler, I think that’s a good idea.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #5

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Buena Ventura
Vessel Model: Ocean Yachts 46 Sunliner
In a way it is good to do something. My boat though has all pump discharges out the exhaust tubes or next to those and not obviously from a separate pipe.

This is timely because Sunday a supply line to the aft head ruptured and all water was flowing into the bilges. The mid-ship and aft bilge pumps went to work pumping out hundreds of gallons of water. The owner of the boat across from mine saw the water discharge and let me know so I could shut down. The bow bilge pump failed but the other two pumps kept working. I was hooked to dock water at the time so shut down was easy. I also turn off the dock water whenever I am leaving the boat, even if going for a walk.
Me and Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Boo View Post
In a way it is good to do something. My boat though has all pump discharges out the exhaust tubes or next to those and not obviously from a separate pipe.

This is timely because Sunday a supply line to the aft head ruptured and all water was flowing into the bilges. The mid-ship and aft bilge pumps went to work pumping out hundreds of gallons of water. The owner of the boat across from mine saw the water discharge and let me know so I could shut down. The bow bilge pump failed but the other two pumps kept working. I was hooked to dock water at the time so shut down was easy. I also turn off the dock water whenever I am leaving the boat, even if going for a walk.
Oh yea. Another reason not to leave your system pressurize off the dock water.
Glad it was caught in time, before the boat sank.