Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #81

City: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Comanche View Post
But, as you said, you have to go to Libya to get that price. Lots of bad guys there w/ very sharp knives.
Then Egypt. A bit further and a little more for fuel but still a good profit margin.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #82
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Well, Richard....it looks as if you've really got a beautiful winter home there. I got a bit addicted to the adrinal rush of the crossing, but I've got more than enough things to keep me busy over the fall/winter season. Here in the land of sunshine, there doesn't seem to be any seasonal slowdown....just the opposite. Got any projects planned during the stay?

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Here in the land of sunshine, there doesn't seem to be any seasonal slowdown....just the opposite. Got any projects planned during the stay?
Wifey B: We don't believe in winter.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #84
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
What would keep an enterprising cruiser from installing a fuel pump and meter on his boat, buying diesel in Libya and selling to other cruisers in Italy? Plenty of profit margin.
Ha!! You wouldn't be the first person to have thought of that. Buying or selling untaxed black market fuel in Western Europe is just as illegal, as it is here and is punished much more severely!! The rights of search and seizure are quite different in Europe and an encounter with their Custom police can be quite humbling. You wouldn't want to "cross sword" with the Servicio de Vigilancia Aduanera over transporting and selling untaxed fuel
Old 09-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #85
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Fill up in the Channel Islands of Jersey and guernsey, and then In Gibraltar where a litre of white unmarked diesel is 0.58 pence (uk£).

You can have red diesel in your tanks as long as you have a receipt for its purchase from Ireland or the Uk where's it's legal.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #86
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: We don't believe in winter.
That's because winter doesn't exist in south Florida.....sigh.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #87
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Ha!! You wouldn't be the first person to have thought of that. Buying or selling untaxed black market fuel in Western Europe is just as illegal, as it is here and is punished much more severely!! The rights of search and seizure are quite different in Europe and an encounter with their Custom police can be quite humbling. You wouldn't want to "cross sword" with the Servicio de Vigilancia Aduanera over transporting and selling untaxed fuel
Psst....

Psst....

How about untaxed a l c o h o l?

I "know" some guys who might be able to get some clear fluid. Not good for the ol' boat engine but helps the crew.

People still get busted in NC for moonshine. I swear I used to be able to hear a thumber on a still off to our south years ago. Its a very distinctive sound and i would only hear it on some nights.

A few years ago, I pulled into a car parts store that is owned by some locals who work in the store. I needed wind shield wipers and for some reason the buy wanted to see the truck. So we walk out side and a Chevy S10 pull in with a young guy driving and and older guy riding shotgun. The back of the truck is loaded down with 2-3 layers of old milk jugs with clear fluid! What the heck? You can't be serious is what I am thinking. At least put a tarp over the load.

We walk to the truck and return to the store to get my wipers. In walks the old guy who was riding shotgun. The guy helping me starts asking questions.
  • "John, who are you working with?"
  • "Where did you get the stuff?"
  • "Who ya selling it too?"
  • "Where ya going with the truck?"
  • "Who is that driving?"

The entire time the parts guy is asking questions, the guy with the moonshine says nothing. Nada. Zip. He only ask for a part he needs to another owner and that is it. He turned to leave with his part and he got to the door as the other owner asked one more question. The moonshiner, turned around and said, "Ask me no questions and I will tell you no lies." He turn around and left!

I was standing there thinking WTF! Is this really happening in the 21st century? Well, yes it is. There are still shot houses in NC where you can get a shot of moonshine. It costs a dollar a shot so a gallon of shine is a real profit maker....

I go to an old time barbershop. At the time this happened there were two barbers who have been cutting hair in this couny for over a half century. One guy just died and danged but I miss that old man. He came back from Korea and started cutting hair. I figure these two guys know were the skeletons buried the skeletons and I learned a long time ago to listen real carefully to what these guys had to say. Especially if you asked questions just right!

Anywho, one day they were talking about the parts store and low and behold the buy who was helping me and asking all of the questions was a retired sheriff deputy. :

As Gomer would say, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise." :

There are lots of people around here who grow an acre or so of field corn. Field corn is for critters for the most part but they don't have livestock. Hmm.. They grow enough corn, let it dry and hand harvest. I can only think of one reason to grow that little field corn.

I think shine has a higher profit margin than Libyan fuel, it surely is easier to buy/produce, and a lot safer to get.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #88
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: The Caroliner
Vessel Model: Plans to build 30' Spira Sitka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I have seen flurries in Orlando,FL before.Technically not south Florida.More central,I believe.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:27 AM   #89
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Well, Richard....it looks as if you've really got a beautiful winter home there. I got a bit addicted to the adrinal rush of the crossing, but I've got more than enough things to keep me busy over the fall/winter season. Here in the land of sunshine, there doesn't seem to be any seasonal slowdown....just the opposite. Got any projects planned during the stay?
I know. I'll be ready to move on add soon as I get back from the States.

Trying to organize my writings and pictures.

Also, I must get heat in the boat and of my three battery chargers, the only 220-120v one, is not f...ing working.

That is the big problem for today and tomorrow.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 AM   #90
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post

In fact the price of Diesel in Norway is by far the highest in Europe, second highest is the UK.
At the fully taxed rate
Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #91
Dauntless Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
What would keep an enterprising cruiser from installing a fuel pump and meter on his boat, buying diesel in Libya and selling to other cruisers in Italy? Plenty of profit margin.

550 nm round trip / 3 nm per gallon is 183 gallons. If you hold 700 gallons that would leave 500 gallons to sell. $316 for 700 gallons in Libya, sell 500 gallons in Italy at a $2 per gallon discount equals $3000.
Guardia di finanza

They figured out that scam eons ago
Old 09-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #92
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

The same here in So Cal where it never rains like Florida.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #93
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I have seen flurries in Orlando,FL before.Technically not south Florida.More central,I believe.
I have seen flurries in South FLA. The snow actually stayed around overnight leaving a slight dusting on the cars.

We should have had a snow day from work and school!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #94

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
At the fully taxed rate
Be carefull to use (low taxed) Red Diesel in the EU.

Link: Brussels takes UK to court over boats using red diesel

Link: Red Diesel Abroad

Link: Brussels rocks the boat in UK yacht fuel tax dispute
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #95
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Looks like the Europeans don't like to play together very well.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Looks like the Europeans don't like to play together very well.
Looks more like that Britain not only drive on the wrong site of the road.......
Old 09-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Looks more like that Britain not only drive on the wrong site of the road.......
The Belgians were fining uk boats found with red diesel a couple of years ago; result revenue from marinas was down 80%.....

The Belgian gov announced at the beginning of this year that any Boat coming from the UK or Ireland that had red/green diesel in its tanks was ok as long as they had a docket to prove they bought the fuel in the Uk/Eire and not in Europe where it's illegal.

Sorted!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
The Belgians were fining uk boats found with red diesel a couple of years ago; result revenue from marinas was down 80%.....

The Belgian gov announced at the beginning of this year that any Boat coming from the UK or Ireland that had red/green diesel in its tanks was ok as long as they had a docket to prove they bought the fuel in the Uk/Eire and not in Europe where it's illegal.

Sorted!
On the ticket has to be printed "TAX PAYED IN FULL" and is only allowed in the standard Fuel Tanks. Same counts for the Netherland and France but without proof that you paid all the taxes you risk severe vines.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
On the ticket has to be printed "TAX PAYED IN FULL" and is only allowed in the standard Fuel Tanks. Same counts for the Netherland and France but without proof that you paid all the taxes you risk severe vines.
As far as I know...

Just as Under maritime law vessels have the right to free passage through any seaway, Vessels will be deemed to have legal fuel onboard if it was legal to use that fuel in the vessel in the country where it was purchased.

eg: If you bought duty-free fuel in Gibraltar, you can legally use the fuel that's already in your tanks in Spain. In theory you could do this everyday.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
As far as I know...

Just as Under maritime law vessels have the right to free passage through any seaway, Vessels will be deemed to have legal fuel onboard if it was legal to use that fuel in the vessel in the country where it was purchased.

eg: If you bought duty-free fuel in Gibraltar, you can legally use the fuel that's already in your tanks in Spain. In theory you could do this everyday.
Shure, but doesn't help a lot when the Customs tie up your vessel till you pay your vines. Welcome to Europe.....