Old 06-28-2015, 02:09 AM   #21
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
If ain't got a little sheer I ain't looking .
Absolutely agree. Throw in some nice camber for good measure, and you're well on your way.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:38 AM   #22

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Yes, please change the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Now that we've cleared up the misunderstanding by the OP in post 5, any objections to me changing the thread title from Krogen 42 failure to Krogen 42 History? It seems to better reflect the trajectory of the discussion and will make it easier to find in future searches.

If the OP agrees, I'll make the change free of charge.
I like your idea. Please do so at your convenience. Thank you.

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
The upturned large bow is traditional ocean going trawler that travels through the seas at hull speed. The tennis shoe lacks this bow as it's designed to pound across the tops of waves at planning speed. Krogens, built for comfort not speed in large seas. If I planned to spend more time on the outside of the line of demarcation, I would likely own one.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #24
FF
Guru

I think they did exactly what James Krogen wanted to do, mass produce a true Passagemaker.

If Passagemaker does not include too much blueb water , perhaps.

I believe the boat is quite range limited by twin engines and modest fuel supply.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:27 AM   #25

City: Virginia Beach
Vessel Name: Tuscan Sun
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I think they did exactly what James Krogen wanted to do, mass produce a true Passagemaker.

If Passagemaker does not include too much blueb water , perhaps.

I believe the boat is quite range limited by twin engines and modest fuel supply.

Almost all 42s are single engines and can carry 700 gallons of fuel.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #26
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
My Krogen 50 was built with 2 small diesel engines, which is very rare for a Krogen trawler. The normal engines listed were a Perkins 6-354, the Lehman or a 4-71 DD. Mine carries 1000 gallons of fuel and 250 gallons of water. The 42 is very similar. The biggest shortcoming on these boats, for bluewater cruising anyway, is the windows and doors. As built they are not overly strong. Just strong enough.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Here's link to FAQ's for earlier Krogen boats. It's a little dated (1997) but there is some good information on production histories of the earlier Krogens. Scroll down the bottom of the page for the FAQ's.

The Krogen FAQ Page
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Just to clear up a few facts. There were 207 KK42s built. The last was "Daisy" built in 1998 and just recently sold by the original owner. Our boat "Aventura" hull number 204 was also built in 1998 and at that time we thought it was going to be the last or next to last build. The molds were in rough shape and required additional work to prep for a build. Those of us who wanted a 42 had to pay extra to have the molds fixed. It was worth it. They are great boats and ours transported us safely over 30000 miles and 4500+ hours. Although our current boat, a Camano31, is a fine variation of west coast fishing hull it is not the spacious, comfortable cruising boat that the 42 was. For this area (PNW & SE AK) the 42 was just about ideal. You could get into neat small anchorages, deal with most any weather and travel long distances all while sipping a minimum amount of fuel. Our Camano uses as much fuel as the 42 at similar speeds. The 42 weighed 4 times what our Camano does, just a great illustration of the efficiency of a full displacement hull design. The 42s predecessor, the KK44 is also a great boat with some nice additional features, bit pricy but what isn't these days.
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #29
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
A KK42 will ideally be my next boat.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
I like them too and also never have seen a twin engine one. Just spent two weeks up here in the Canadian Maritimes and you can see the boat's heritage in almost every harbor. As for being passage makers, we just had a forum member cross the Atlantic in one...

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #31

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
There is a 1970s vintage KK 42 on yachtworld with twin 80hp Lehmans and 250 gal fuel (but only 50 gal water). How far would something like that go before the fuel was exhausted?
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #32

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Shallow Minded
Vessel Model: Shoal Cat
Every Krogen 42 I've sever seen looked like a million dollars to me. That might be one of the several good reasons that their resale values stay strong.
Blissboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #33
Guru

The resale is strong because of the Krogen name. I like the KK42 but dont start thinking they dont have a lot of the same problems as other boats of that era. And just like a lot of those boats,,, they were made in the far east. One old story written by a magazine journalist included a few paragraphs about the yard that was building the KK42. Apparently they were low on CSM so they used news paper in some non critical areas. His biggest concern was the low quality of the chinese paper .
Old 06-28-2015, 04:16 PM   #34
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
Every Krogen 42 I've sever seen looked like a million dollars to me. That might be one of the several good reasons that their resale values stay strong.

Unfortunately the only one I've ever set foot on was very badly neglected, and pretty nasty. It's listed on yacht world for less than 80k, but I'm not sure that's a bargain.

I'd love to have a nice one. It's my ideal boat.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Unfortunately the only one I've ever set foot on was very badly neglected, and pretty nasty. It's listed on yacht world for less than 80k, but I'm not sure that's a bargain....
Same here. We looked at a 1981 KK42. The boat had many issues from deck beam ends rotted to dry rot around the pilot house doors. The owner's wife came in while we were doing the survey and showed me where the Tupperware containers were that collected the water from the deck leaks. We were looking for a project boat but this was beyond that. The saying goes, "if you've seen one Krogen, you've seen one Krogen".

Like kulas44 says, "...don't start thinking they don't have a lot of the same problems as other boats of that era..
Old 06-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #36
Guru

There is one for sale in Australia. Oogachaka recently arrived, on its own bottom,and is located on Pittwater, Sydney. See Used Kadey Krogen 42 Widebody Trawler for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:15 AM   #37
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
If you have ever had the opportunity to look at the lamination schedule for a Krogen trawler, and the ring frame/bulkhead arrangement, you would know that "hogging" or swayback as it was called (incorrectly I might ad) is an impossibilty on these boats. The hull and superstructure simply does not allow it.
Seeing is misbelieving your statement. Perhaps the swayback look was the builder's intent?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
There is one for sale in Australia. Oogachaka recently arrived, on its own bottom,and is located on Pittwater, Sydney. See Used Kadey Krogen 42 Widebody Trawler for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub
Here's a link to their blog. They bought the boat in 2009. They proceeded to AK, then MX and crossed to OZ in 2014. I believe this is the first KK42 to do that.

Oogachaka
Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #39
Guru

That was the way they were designed and built.