Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

When I was a younger, I was always referred to as the kid that "isn't quite right". LOL
Wifey B: I think it could be said about all of us here, and probably has been, "they're just not quite right." But, all is right in my little world and I'm happy so don't need to be quite right.

That's like normal? What the heck does that mean? Who is normal? Who even wants to be? If a lot of what I see around me is normal, then no thanks. Call me crazy, but call me happy.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdavid View Post
360 degrees x 60nm/degree = 21,600nm (24 856.836 077 mile [statute]) is closer to the polar circumference (24,860) than the equatorial circumference (24,902) so even at the equator, using latitude is more accurate.
Ok, your're right. First I thought I was right. Then I thought Paul and David could be right. Now I think you are right. I am so insecure and impressionable not to mention confused. It's not easy being me.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #83
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
So how many amps in a mile and how does that convert to knots per amp/kilometer?

Puppy-monkey-baby wants to know.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #84
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
So how many amps in a mile and how does that convert to knots per amp/kilometer?

Puppy-monkey-baby wants to know.
Wifey B: 7
Old 02-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #85
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Very impressive. I thought I was the only one here that knew about the Pergafram-Kahagan concept
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #86
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I traveled 100 statute miles at 10 mph = 10 hr travel... unless of course bucking wind or current.... or maybe having wind or current with me... or maybe having one with me and one against me. One way or another it is not too un-similar as traveling X nautical miles at X knots with wind or current in similar or opposing directions... whether the directions be for or against me.

Personally I see no fault or problem using statute miles and mph or using nautical miles and knots for keeping track of distance/speed/time stats... as long as in which ever combo I begin a leg of the journey my mind/numbers remain using that particular calculation combo... throughout.

In either combo chosen the variables of wind and current can easily be factored in to produce time schedules that a particular journey may require.

Tiz not rocket science. With today's high tech assistance items it's not even a big deal to dial things in. Back in the days of compass, time clock, paper chart, boat speed to get closely dialed in was a bit harder to accomplish, and, in my opinion a lot more fun. Although it did require some work, the past-days personal-enjoyment-outcome of having been successful in calculations by arriving on time and in one piece was priceless!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #87
Veteran Member

City: Ventura CA
Vessel Name: Proud Mary
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler
[QUOTE=Tony B;412843]Yes, that is correct. As a matter of fact, that is true for any latitude because lattitude lines are parallel.

In the latitudes that I am familiar with, 1 minute of longitude is also close enough for me to do math in my head and consider it as 1 NM even though it os not.

NO! One minute of longitude is only one NM at zero latitude, that is, at the equator. As you go north or south from the equator the meridians of longitude get closer together and therefore a minute of longitude is less than one NM. In fact it decreases as the cosine of the latitude. At 40 deg latitude, one minute of longitude is only 3/4 of a NM, not an insignificant error.

Paul
Paul Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #88
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
As for your opening " The quote above isn't quite right."

When I was a younger, I was always referred to as the kid that "isn't quite right". LOL
I didn't mean to trigger you!

And you're correct on my arithmetic error - there are indeed 24 hours in a day even though sometimes it feels like there are only 12! However, the answer is 60 amp hours and not 60 amps - still got to get that unit right!

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:36 PM   #89
Guru

What is the key is communication. If someone you don't know well gives you a mileage or speed, ask which it is. I would suggest to be clearly understood that one when referring to distance on the water use the words "statute miles" or "nautical miles". For us with more people involved day to day we set a hard fast rule that we only use knots and nautical miles. Not saying it's better, just saying a mix might get confusing so we are always aware what is meant when talking with each other. We still always use the word nautical though and don't leave "miles" dangling out in the wind.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:11 PM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
To me, anyone who has sold out and changed to knots from cables is not a real mariner. I suppose you measure your depth in feet and not fathoms too!
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #91

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41
Sheesh! 5 pages of comments in less that 2 full days. Good thing we aren't talking about anchors!

Anyway, It really boils down to (1) what chart you are using and (2) what you want to use. Your choice and no one else's (despite that they may think).

Marty....................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #92

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Most of the coastal cruising guides are in statute miles. Statute miles to marinas. Statute miles to bridges. Statute miles to anchorages. I use miles.

Offshore everything is knots/nautical miles. It is rare to use both in the same day so change as necessary. There is no "right" or "wrong" only what works best for you and the situation.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #93
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilge53 View Post
Most of the coastal cruising guides are in statute miles. Statute miles to marinas. Statute miles to bridges. Statute miles to anchorages. I use miles.

Offshore everything is knots/nautical miles. It is rare to use both in the same day so change as necessary. There is no "right" or "wrong" only what works best for you and the situation.
Not coastal, intracoastal. The ICW is measured off in statute miles, as are the inland waterways. Here's an always handy reference:

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/n.../distances.pdf

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #94

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Did you knot know what I meant?
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #95
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
I'm a knots guy even in the ICW.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #96

City: Fort Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Europa
furlongs per fortnight.. Had a college physics test that used those units. That may be the only thing that I remember from college physics.
mdhervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
To me, anyone who has sold out and changed to knots from cables is not a real mariner. I suppose you measure your depth in feet and not fathoms too!
Metres (or meters).
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM   #98

City: Panama City
Vessel Name: Irish Miss
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot Rum Runner Classic
In every small recreational boat I've owned that had a speedometer, the speedometer indicated statute miles per hour, not knots. So, it's just natural for most boaters who have "moved up" to larger boats to continue to use SM.
MrJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJim View Post
In every small recreational boat I've owned that had a speedometer, the speedometer indicated statute miles per hour, not knots. So, it's just natural for most boaters who have "moved up" to larger boats to continue to use SM.
But in every larger boat I've owned the speedometer or guages read knots. Well, most had choices but read knots when we set them to do so.

You're right about smaller boats such as we had on the lake. Still when we moved to the coast and ocean cruising, we switched to comply with what we felt was the norm for that type boating and location. We also were then around people with much more experience than us, professional captains and others and all used knots.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:11 AM   #100
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post

You just wont believe me If I told you I have a wrist watch with a tiny little battery in it and you cant wind it up

gaston is offline   Reply With Quote