Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member
RE: Knot Trouble

Flemished coils are quite handsome and have a "shippy" appearance -- however -- when a line is flemished, it is fully exposed to the sun's rays and nylon is damanged by ultraviolet.* It is far better to coil the line and hang it from your boat's railing, thus limiting exposure and also preventing mold and moisture from damaging the deck as well as allowing the line to remain dry.

The figure eight approach is excellent and spare anchor rodes should be so arranged and then tied with yarn to prevent the figure eight configuration from being lost when the line is stowed.* The yarn breaks away easily and the rode pays out without tangles -- every time.* As a long time sailing nut, I must have coiled miles of line of various sizes and can attest to the necessity of doing it right.

Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:06 PM   #22
Scraping Paint
City: -

Again, it will depend on your location. There are a few boats in our marina that have "permanent" dock lines attached to the bull rails, or cleats if their dock has them. But I would say 90 percent or more of the boats in this area take their mooring lines with them. Nowhere we go has mooring lines ready to use--- you have to bring your own, so you might as well bring along the set you use in your own slip. That way they're already made up and attached to the boat so they're basically ready to use when you need them.

Like many people, we do have a permanent spring line attached to the outside end of our dock with the loop hung on a PVC pipe a little higher then the railing on the GB. We use it when we come in because the wind is almost always blowing us hard off our dock into our slipmate, so my wife takes the line off the PVC hook and puts it around the center cleat. I come forward against the line and then with one engine in fwd and rudders hard over I can bring the boat back against the wind to the dock and pin it there while we get the other lines to the dock.

Taking your mooring lines with you is not technically wrong. Anything that works in a particular situation is technically correct What works on the east coast may won't work in the PNW and what works on a river may not work on a lake, and so on. This business about "you have to do it this exact way or it's wrong" is crap. Even the US Navy, who everyone seems to accept as an authority on boating, says in the edition of the Bluejacket's Manual I have that (I'm paraphrasing) "Here's the best way to do it but if circumstances dictate a different way, then do it that way."

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #23
City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

For us- it works best to leave the dock lines (Eric is right- that original pic is not of our lines!). Having them already set allows a quick tie up when we return to the slip. If I were able- I would custom build dock lines to fit our slip. We are slowly building a spare set to keep with the boat. We back into the slip- and step from the swimdeck to the pier. Positioning has to be just right for all of this to work. I may consider putting the spliced eye at the dock- but I think this would leave a spiraled line in the way on the boat.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #24

I have the best of both systems. I carry my complete set of lines on the boat, made up to the hawse horns on each side, ready to use as Marin has described. Inside my boathouse are 8 custom length lines with loops to position and hold the boat exactly where I like it. The boathouse lines slip over the boat lines without removing them from the hawse horns. Since no one else uses my boathouse when I'm away they never get "reset" without my knowledge. If I had a slip that was used for transient moorage when I was away, I think I might be tempted to braid eyes in both ends, one captured in the cleat, so my spring line didn't change length.

Ken Buck
2bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #25
City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Juz-B-Cuz
Vessel Model: 38' Rawson Trawler

I have a set of "home" lines and a set of "travel" lines.

At my home marina, I keep eye side on the docks since there seems to be a lot more trip hazard there. The lines have been cut to length so there's not a lot of extra to trip over on deck. These are 5/8, and I have snubbers on them. I figure these will get most of the use and will likely see the worst weather.

The travel lines are 1/2, eye-side on the boat, and long enough to deal with most every weird situation. They're easier to throw and to thread through/around/over things. On the chance that I'm away from home and a bad blow kicks up, there are enough to double up the critical ones.
Chris Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #26
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Like Marin, I have a permanent set (2) of spring lines attached in my slip. Since I single hand 99% of the time, when I enter the slip I step on to the dock and put the loop end over the boat cleat, amidships. I now know that my boat is positioned fore & aft in exactly the right spot. The rest is simply a matter of centering the bow and tieing down the boat. I do, however, carry a full set of lines on board within easy reach.

When company is aboard, they always want to help out and this bugs me to no end. I politely tell them that I have "a routine" that I follow and would they just have a seat until we are underway. It seems that every time I violate this rule, allowing for some visitor help, something is always missed, and as captain, it's entirely my fault.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0200.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	428  

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote