Old 12-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #21
Guru

Your list and the desire to do open water points to the KK. The other two can do open water but are really designed and used best in protected water. If you can afford it a Nordhaven should also go in the mix.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #22
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Your list and the desire to do open water points to the KK. The other two can do open water but are really designed and used best in protected water. If you can afford it a Nordhaven should also go in the mix.
I think that DeFever would serve just as well in open water...
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:31 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Henderson
Vessel Name: Charismatic
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
You can get stabilizers that are helpful at anchor. Zero speed stabilizers. There are a lot of different options of stabilizers and more being developed all the time. For a boat that size, we're really impressed with Side Power/Sleipner and their vector fins.

Stabilizer revolution - Side-Power
Yes, but if his budget is $250 for the boat he likely won't be comfortable with the new install cost of these. You would be much better off finding a boat with stabilizers installed on someone else's dime. But at $250 it might be tough to do if you also want a pristine example that has been refit. Newer models with fiberglass fuel tanks and such are probably out of the price range.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:44 AM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Flopper stoppers like on Nordhavns really work and are cost effective.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #25
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO you need to consider hull form more than galley position. The three you mention are not the same.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Defever 44 and 49 CPMY both meet your requirements other than single engine. The 49 would be perfect for SCUBA diving because of the large cockpit. Both have large swim platforms. They are hard to find, and a 49 within your budget will probably need some work. But they are definitely worth a look IMO.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #27
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
I added the paravanes to my KK42 for just under $10K, of course I did most everything myself....

They are a pain to deploy and retrieve if it cant be done in a "harbor". Coming in offshore into less than 25' they have to come in while it is still rough. But having them at anchor with no power consumption is great(because the hull rolls so damn much ). Also really nice when you land a fish offshore and slow/stop while reeeling it in.

Wouldn't do it the GB42, am doing it in the KK42, no first hand experience with the others.

Good luck, leave some $$ for the fun stuff. You can easily go through $20k on non boat related "auxiliary equipment"

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #28
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
Yes, but if his budget is $250 for the boat he likely won't be comfortable with the new install cost of these. You would be much better off finding a boat with stabilizers installed on someone else's dime. But at $250 it might be tough to do if you also want a pristine example that has been refit. Newer models with fiberglass fuel tanks and such are probably out of the price range.
He may not be, but if he found the perfect boat for a decent amount under $250k, just want him aware. And, if he finds one with stabilizers already then accept that vs. his requirement stated of paravanes.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Current value of KK 42s from the 80s is within the budget.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:31 PM   #30

City: Ft. Myers, FL
I really love the Defevers, and even though they pretty much only come in dual engine, that would not knock them out of contention. My preference is for a single, but I would not kick out a dual.
tcpip95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #31
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Flopper stoppers and hydraulic stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
He may not be, but if he found the perfect boat for a decent amount under $250k, just want him aware. And, if he finds one with stabilizers already then accept that vs. his requirement stated of paravanes.

My 2003 Ocean Alexander 456 came with both hydraulic stabilizers and rocker stoppers, for use while on anchor. I can't imagine that paravanes are very easy to deploy and the computer operated stabilizers really make a difference. I know fuel consumption suffers, but with two Cummins 330s pushing her, I doubt it makes much difference.

I love my boat and configuration, but it is not on your list. Of the three on your list, I have crewed on a KK 48 from Norfolk, VA to Stuart FL. I have been aboard, for a short trip, my friends un-stabilized Defever 49. I love the defever's stand up engine room and the KK's pilot house. However, in my own boat, with a flybridge hardtop, enclosure, and twin ACs, coupled with the stabilizers, I can't see a need to ever drive the boat from down below and think the fly bridge is superior to the pilot house.

In the end, of all the features on my boat, the hydraulic stabilizers are the most valuable, IMHO. 2nd place would be water maker and back-up generator and electronic throttles.

I do think the high hulls of the KKs might be a bit more seaworthy, but, given your cruising plans thank any of them would do - but with stabilizers.

I have cruised every place you mentioned - but with my sailboat - and would not attempt without some sort of stabilization.

my $.02
Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #32
Guru

The stabilizers slowing the boat down may be historically true, but in today's world, properly installed stabilizers make very little difference and in some sea actually increase speed (again very small amount) by removing the roll.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #33
Guru

impact of hydraulic stabilizers

BandB

I suspect you are right. I get about 2 mpg at trawler speed - 8.5 knots or so. I have winglets on the ends of my stabilizers and allegedly, this is meant to reduce fuel consumption.

Just for general information, I have posted a short film showing the boat in 4 foot seas with stabilizers on and off.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #34
Guru

didn't work, ill try a zip file

Never mind. My file is an m4v and is not allowed on the site.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
BandB

I suspect you are right. I get about 2 mpg at trawler speed - 8.5 knots or so. I have winglets on the ends of my stabilizers and allegedly, this is meant to reduce fuel consumption.

Just for general information, I have posted a short film showing the boat in 4 foot seas with stabilizers on and off.
Would you link to that, please?

Some of us go out in rougher seas than others do and for us then stabilizers cease being a convenience and become a necessity. Now, paravanes might do the same for some boats. Not for me. Remind me too much of how much sailors have to work.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #36
Guru

BandB,

I have the short film on my puter. . . How do I link to it?

Gordon
Old 12-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
BandB,

I have the short film on my puter. . . How do I link to it?

Gordon
Oh, put it on youtube and then link to it.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #38
Guru

OK, lets try this. First time poster to Youtube.

https://youtu.be/I--BleocAVU
Old 12-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #39
Guru

Most of the manufacturers of stabilizers have on and off videos. I know Seakeeper has many. Side-power did a test of their vector fins on a 51' Princess. At 11 knots, they reduced the roll by 97%. At anchor they reduced the maximum roll by 72% and the average by 66%. As an aside and I'm not sure how they arrived at these numbers, they reduced seasickness underway by 99.8% and at anchor by around 90%. Does anyone get seasick at anchor?
Old 12-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
OK, lets try this. First time poster to Youtube.

https://youtu.be/I--BleocAVU
Wow. That is a huge difference. I would imagine today they wouldn't even sell your boat without stabilizers. There are many that don't. The new L series Sea Rays come standard with Seakeepers. Some very fine boats today are bad without stabilizers. For instance a Hatteras 60.

Now there is one huge problem with stabilizers. Once you have them you'll never want to not have them again. Exception might be one N4061 friend.