"Kinship" Questions....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LA battery caps vary. One of my 8Ds has screw in caps which look to have fluid recovery ability, the other has push on caps. The latter batt(which I`ve had before, and this one is no different) needs topping up, the former, a big beast designed for Sydney Govt. Buses, never needs it.
I use a head torch to see into the cells when checking/topping up.

LA battery caps vary. One of my 8Ds has screw in caps which look to have fluid recovery ability, the other has push on caps. The latter batt(which I`ve had before, and this one is no different) needs topping up, the former, a big beast designed for Sydney Govt. Buses, never needs it.
I use a head torch to see into the cells when checking/topping up.

Please elaborate on... "big beast designed for Sydney Govt" that never needs topping. A led acid batt that never evaporates water... ?? How long is life span? Cost? :confused::confused::confused:

Yes! Head torch!! I have three in different locations for ready access. Luv Em! :dance:

What is this thing?

I found this in bowels of the aft lazarette. Any idea what it is, what it it used for and how?

Attachments

• unknown_object.jpg
    unknown_object.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 55
Looks like somebody left you a fishing weight for a downrigger.

Looks like somebody left you a fishing weight for a downrigger.

Maybe. I think the boat was setup at one time for downriggers but I don't think the owner ever used them. This thing is really heavy and attached to maybe a 10' line.

If anyone wants it, it is free to a good home. Just come by Gig Harbor to get it. :)

CO detector, EOL

My boat had two CO detectors. Both reached their EOL last month. As near as I can tell, the only thing to do is replace them.
CMD-4MR-RLY.gif

Jeez Dave, is that new boat falling apart?!

My boat had two CO detectors. Both reached their EOL last month. As near as I can tell, the only thing to do is replace them.
CMD-4MR-RLY.gif

Correct O' Peel!

Jeez Dave, is that new boat falling apart?!

Just my bad timing. The PO told me that the CO detectors would need changing. I'm just getting around to checking on it.

I had Tacoma Diesel come out and remove the heat exchanger and after cooler today. They will have them cleaned and checked out and then will reinstall them again next Friday. After watching it being done, I know I could do it myself next time. OTOH, I don't bend as well as I used to.

Just my bad timing. The PO told me that the CO detectors would need changing. I'm just getting around to checking on it.

I had Tacoma Diesel come out and remove the heat exchanger and after cooler today. They will have them cleaned and checked out and then will reinstall them again next Friday. After watching it being done, I know I could do it myself next time. OTOH, I don't bend as well as I used to.

So... please tell me Dave... with the angle the craft is set in your avatar:

Do you (at least at first) place CO detectors on high side or low side? :ermm:

And... upon next tide to you plan to keep the boat's kilter at same angle of the dangle [surely proportional so the hypotenuse of the square] in order to make heat exchangers and after coolers more accessible on starboard or port motor? :confused:

Happy Tidy-Up Daze! - Art :speed boat:

I went back with Lifeline AGM batteries for my house bank. That is what was in the boat when it was new and the charging system was set up for it, plus the battery bank is not super easy to get to.

But damn they were expensive!

So far the things you have encountered aren't far beyond routine maintenance, just reflect some things that were due and the previous owner wasn't going to pay to get done knowing they were selling it. I'd still be very upbeat about the purchase. I think also you're being very thorough in checking things out.

So far the things you have encountered aren't far beyond routine maintenance, just reflect some things that were due and the previous owner wasn't going to pay to get done knowing they were selling it. I'd still be very upbeat about the purchase. I think also you're being very thorough in checking things out.

Dunno what you paid, but, bet you are no pushover when working a deal. I agree with Mr. B here... and, want to add... I bet cha gots yur self one heck of a fine boat. All systems are Go Scotty - Beam Me Up!!

Yeah, I am very happy so far. I just have a big learning curve is all. A lot of it is stuff that I just don't know. For example, when the mechanic pulled the heat exchanger, he first had to deal with 6 gallons of coolant. 6 gallons! He was prepared of course, I wouldn't have been.

Generator fuel filter

I was looking at my genny primary fuel filter to change it. I started looking for fuel shut off valve to the filter and could find one. The level of the filter is lower than the level of the fuel in the tank. I think that if I remove the filter, that level will equalize and I will have 20-50 gallons of fuel in my bilge. That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Here is the fuel filter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 49
I was looking at my genny primary fuel filter to change it. I started looking for fuel shut off valve to the filter and could find one. The level of the filter is lower than the level of the fuel in the tank. I think that if I remove the filter, that level will equalize and I will have 20-50 gallons of fuel in my bilge. That doesn't sound like a good idea.

Here is the fuel filter.
If you put it on the avatar tide grid the filter should be higher than the tank. S0-reeee.

I found this in bowels of the aft lazarette. Any idea what it is, what it it used for and how?

As folks above have said, it's a down-rigger weight. I have one with a line attached to occasionally calibrate one of my depth sounders.

While in the slip I lower the weight to the bottom and measure the depth to the water line. I subtract my water draft to get the depth from my keel to the bottom. Then I dial in the sounder to that depth. Voila, my sounder is calibrated to the depth below my keel.

Back
Top Bottom