Old 04-12-2016, 01:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmist View Post
Dave,

I just found out you have your new boat. I feel a sorta kinship with you as my last sailboat, before moving to the dark side, was a Catalina 400, which I rank as one of my favorite boats. I still remember taking the first ride on my new trawler and thinking, "Is that all there is to this?" It was kinda boring compared to sailing but I do love the comfort, besides I couldn't raise the main anymore.

We should be at the public dock this coming Thursday, so if you are around come on down and see us. Maybe we can go out to dinner together. From there, we are heading to Dock Street Marina for our monthly Trawler Crawler cruise. You might want to think of joining the Trawler Crawlers, a good bunch of people. We have a few members who moor in Gig Harbor.
Hi Ron,

Public dock in Port Orchard?

Trawler Crawlers sounds interesting. Send me some info.

The Catalina 400 is a wonderful boat. I will miss it when it sells.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Sorry Dave, I wasn't clear. The public dock in Gig Harbor if there is room. I hear they have power and water on the dock now so it may be too popular to find a spot. If it is full, we will probably anchor out.

The Trawler Crawlers is a fun group that was organized many years ago for slow boats. They rules have been relaxed a lot and we now accept boats that could go fast but don't. I don't have anything to send you and there is no web site. We have one person who is the leader and I can have him get in contact with you if you have any interest.

All our cruises are in the mid sound to south sound. This months cruise is to Dock Street for the Daffodil boat parade this coming Sunday and there may still be room as we had a few cancellations. The May cruise is to Kingston and the June cruise is to Port Ludlow.

If you are in town at Gig Harbor we can make it a point to get together. I'll send a PM with my contact info.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:

The Trawler Crawlers is a fun group .
Wifey B: Sounds like worms or something to me.

So, if the Trawler Crawlers go cruising at night, they are Night Crawlers.

And if one of them is sort of creeping around then he's a Creepy Crawler.

And right now windmist is a Web Crawler.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:50 PM   #24
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Sorry Dave, I wasn't clear. The public dock in Gig Harbor if there is room. I hear they have power and water on the dock now so it may be too popular to find a spot. If it is full, we will probably anchor out.

The Trawler Crawlers is a fun group that was organized many years ago for slow boats. They rules have been relaxed a lot and we now accept boats that could go fast but don't. I don't have anything to send you and there is no web site. We have one person who is the leader and I can have him get in contact with you if you have any interest.

All our cruises are in the mid sound to south sound. This months cruise is to Dock Street for the Daffodil boat parade this coming Sunday and there may still be room as we had a few cancellations. The May cruise is to Kingston and the June cruise is to Port Ludlow.

If you are in town at Gig Harbor we can make it a point to get together. I'll send a PM with my contact info.
I got you. We might be around the Harbor. So far my wife's plan is to spend a couple nights out, then go back and get the stuff that we find we need then head out again. Of course my plan is to do whatever my wife wants.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Mount Vernon, WA / La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Otter
Vessel Model: 1985 President Sundeck 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Of course my plan is to do whatever my wife wants.
Happy wife, happy life!
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
I got you. We might be around the Harbor. So far my wife's plan is to spend a couple nights out, then go back and get the stuff that we find we need then head out again. Of course my plan is to do whatever my wife wants.
Understand Dave. We should be in GH around 1 or 2:00. Have the current against us (Again). If we can't get on the public dock, may anchor out or try the recip at GH yacht club. Give me a call if you are around.

If you give me your email in a PM, I'll have "The Leader" get in touch with you on joining the Trawler Crawlers.

The five stages of life: Sailboats, Motorboats, Motor Homes, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #27

City: Union, WA
Vessel Name: Touch of Grey
Ron,

Are you back in POYC?

Bruce
bcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcam View Post
Ron,

Are you back in POYC?

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Yes, we where locked out for 3 days after the fire. Everything is back to normal now and cleaned up. All the clean up crews are gone so we can actually find a spot to park in the parking lot. Hope all is well with you.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:37 PM   #29

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
BandB, they are selling your boat!! (or at least your avatar)

Sunseeker Manhattan 65 for sale in Unknown | Boatshop24

(Sorry for the hijack.)
Old 04-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #30
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post

(Sorry for the hijack.)
I've been wondering... still am...
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #31
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:

(Sorry for the hijack.)
Manufacturer provided image??? I can't believe they are going to take that battleship on the loop!
Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:06 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:

(Sorry for the hijack.)
There are a lot of them sold. Sunseeker is the largest single brand builder. Benetti and Ferretti build more boats, but many different labels. Our boat has a few alterations done to it. On the whole though we're not ones to break new ground, build something very unique. We've never owned a boat that there weren't many more just about like it sitting out there. We tend toward successful builders and tried and proven designs.

Also, the Manhattan 63 is the exact same boat except it's galley down. In that configuration this boat has been around close to 10 years and before that there was the 64. Imports to the US were very low for 2008-2011 or so, so people looking for used boats get disappointed seeing there are dozens, but all in Europe.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Manufacturer provided image??? I can't believe they are going to take that battleship on the loop!
Yes, manufacturer provided image, cut and pasted. Ours looked exactly like that when delivered and before some changes we made.

We've talked to people who have done the loop in larger boats such as 75' Hatteras. We don't anticipate any issues due to size. We checked marinas throughout the entire loop prior to making a decision. Docking is not a major issue. Much of the time will be on the Great Lakes. There are far bigger boats there.

Is it non-traditional? Of course. However, it works for us. While many do the loop as just a married couple or family with a couple of kids, we'll have between 5 and 9 people on the various segments of the trip.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
I wouldn't think they could get very much selling the avatar.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #35

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
A few years ago I did a comparative consulting study of European yachts and took a close look at Sunseekers. The overall impression I took away was that they were very well built and finished, better than their direct British me-too competitors such as Fairline, Princess and Sealine.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
...The fuel transfer pump has its own circuit breaker so there is little chance of engaging the pump accidentally. The biggest concern would be that I might simply forget to turn it off, hence the idea of an indicator light. I have also heard of using a timer switch instead, I just don't think that I could find one to fit on the helm.

Secondly, if I have full fuel in one tank, and near empty in another, and I open both valves for the fuel transfer line and don't run the pump, will fuel tend to equalize in the tanks? Without a pump, they would. But would the pump impeller keep that from happening and would that cause any harm to the Jabsco fuel pump?
The reason the switch is spring return is to prevent overfill of the receiving tank and resulting fuel spill. That would be bad.

The pump is probably a reversible flexible vane pump. Very little if any fuel will flow if not running. No damage.

If you are just pumping fuel back and forth without passing through a filter, what's the point? Open or install a crosstie line and draw from both together.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #37
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire;
Open or install a crosstie line and draw from both together.
Do you then return to both as well?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
A few years ago I did a comparative consulting study of European yachts and took a close look at Sunseekers. The overall impression I took away was that they were very well built and finished, better than their direct British me-too competitors such as Fairline, Princess and Sealine.
That is our belief and behind our choice. Their biggest problem is spidering of their gel-coats. Perhaps the climate in which they're applied. We even debated painting upon delivery but decided we'd just go with it until problems and then rather than constant repairs, we'd paint it.

Sunseeker is 92% owned by a Chinese conglomerate, which as an aside, Ferretti is also. Princess is 75% owned by a French conglomerate. Fairline is now Russian owned. Sealine has been moved to Germany.

In the "sport boat" type boat, their leading competition is probably Riva.

Like so many builders, Sunseeker is pushing larger and larger and now go up to 155'.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #39
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Do you then return to both as well?
If you are cross tied they will equalize as long as the cross tie is big enough. So, make sure the crosstie is bigger diameter than the engine return line. I'm guessing that the pump is IN the crosstie line. Maybe it was too small, and therefore the need for the pump.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire
Open or install a crosstie line and draw from both together...If you are cross tied they will equalize as long as the cross tie is big enough.
More questions;
--is that the standard setup on the Monk 36?
--if they equalize, why draw from both?
--if drawing from both how do you know where crud comes from?

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote