Keys Marina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seasalt007

Guru
Vessel Name
Aweigh
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
We are leaving Key Biscayne late next week headed for Marathon. Need info on nice marinas about half way down off Hawk Channel.

I have looked at Active Captain and it is hard to tell whether the 1st choice marinas are really nice or merely advertisers on A/C. Besides one of the A/C dogs tried to eat my yappy Maltese when were in JAX recently and he is still pissed. :angel:

Last edited:
I can't help with marinas, but in 2010 when we left Marathon Northbound we anchored at Long Key Bight and again in Blackwater Sound just off Sundowners Restaurant. Both were very nice stops. There are markers and reviews of both on Active Captain.
We did have nice weather both nights. We are 4' draft
Good luck

Thanks Steve but we have an older dog with no new tricks so we don't anchor out.

If you are headed to the Keys you need a guide book. Capt Frank Papy's is a very good one.

If you're going down Hawks Channel (Oceanside) then starting in Key Largo the Marina's with some amenities are:

There a several marinas down the canal just North of Mosquito Bank, Holiday Inn, Pilot House, etc.

Next would be on Snake Creek just North of Hens and Chickens: Smugglers Cove, and further down chain at Whale Harbor is Post Card Inn (formerly Holiday Isle) and the Chesapeake.

Further down by quite a ways is Caloosa Cove on Matecumbe.

These cover about 30 miles of your "middle of your trip"

There are more on the "Bay Side / Back Side" ICW route, but on the Hawks Channel side the selection is limited.

There are more, these are highlights. Haven't stayed at any of them for many years, have had a refreshing beverage at all of them

:socool:

We are leaving Key Biscayne late next week headed for Marathon. Need info on nice marinas about half way down off Hawk Channel.

I have looked at Active Captain and it is hard to tell whether the 1st choice marinas are really nice or merely advertisers on A/C. Besides one of the A/C dogs tried to eat my yappy Maltese when were in JAX recently and he is still pissed. :angel:

Caloosa Cove Marina at the 76 MM in Islamorada

Plantation Key is owned by the local municipal government it you'll need to rent a car and Faro Blanco in Marathon is probably the best marina other than Key West.

We are going to stay at Pilot House in Key Largo. It has a couple of bad reviews on AC but the company that owns the Marina at Ortega Landing just bought Pilot House. I think things will change rather quickly.

After that it is Maraton YC for a couple of nights then next door at Faro Blanco for the night and fuel before heading for Marco, Naples and Punta Gorda.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Pilot House has a great Tiki bar, and the world famous Harvey's fish sandwich is pretty good. I knew Harvey when he was a dumpster diver at Winn Dixie and hanging out at the boatyard that used to be down the street.

The reviews are probably from the noise at the restaurant I would think, later it can get a little raucous over there

:socool:

We are going to stay at Pilot House in Key Largo. It has a couple of bad reviews on AC but the company that owns the Marina at Ortega Landing just bought Pilot House. I think things will change rather quickly.

After that it is Maraton YC for a couple of nights then next door at Faro Blanco for the night and fuel before heading for Marco, Naples and Punta Gorda.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Marinas

I lived in Marathon for 11 years until a year or so ago. Faro Blanco is the nicest marina in the town, but pricey. I would go with Marathon Marina. Plenty of deep water, good restaurant on site, reasonable price.

Back
Top Bottom