Old 12-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Key West in January

Seems that the Admiral and I are headed that way for the first week in January. Other than lying on the beach, enjoying the sun and warmth (I hope) and hitting a few (a very few) tourist traps, is there anything interesting to do or see? Any interesting boating stuff, marina walks open to the gawking public, etc?

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

RE: Key West in January

are you a cigar smoker? Love the shop on Duval not in Malory square, great place to hang out and waste a day....

jlamb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
TF Site Team

Quote:
jlamb15 wrote:
are you a cigar smoker? Love the shop on Duval not in Malory square, great place to hang out and waste a day....
*Not cigars but cigs. Wife can't stand either.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Seems that the Admiral and I are headed that way for the first week in January. Other than lying on the beach, enjoying the sun and warmth (I hope) and hitting a few (a very few) tourist traps, is there anything interesting to do or see? Any interesting boating stuff, marina walks open to the gawking public, etc?
*I was there (Key West) In August. Couldn't find much in the way of decent public beaches. Most of the luxury hotels have them locked up with private access, as were most of the docks.*

As far as hitting a few tourist traps, well, it's like the whole place is a tourist trap.* Great*food, great music, great people watching, lots of junky trinkets, and*a *gazillion t-shirt shops.* At night, Duvall St. is insane. Bring a fat wallet.*

I found it more interesting driving up to the less populated Keys.*Have fun.** KJ**
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29

Key West is interesting. However, I prefer marathon. better beaches, better over all. Kew West has some great food,wife enjoyed sunset. The Hemingway property is interesting as is the Truman "WhiteHouse".

Have fun

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Love Key West and hope to go there by boat sometime. The Admiral and I were married there 19 years ago beneath the Banyon trees beside the Key West Lighthouse. It is well worth seeing as is the Ernest Hemingway home with the salt water pool. Be sure to check out the Mel Fisher Maritime Museum. Mallory Square is where you go to watch Sunset. The last time on the Island was last Christmas on a cruise and we rented scooters and loved it!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC

Parked the boat in Boot Key's mooring field (Marathon) & drove a rental car to Key West. Spent the day, took the Conch train tour & walked about a good bit. Thunder stormed for the sunset thing, so we drove back to the boat. Great place to be a tourist & part w/$$'s. Great place for a visit, lots of colorful characters & great scenery. We aren't beach folks, so I can't comment on that facet of our trip. Lots of facinating nooks & crannies to explore by dinghy, tho'. Enjoy your visit, stay warm & send some of those torture notes to the rest of us stuck in the north; You know, the ones that say " cool day here, only got to 75" .
Have a great time, & a great Xmas
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

For some good cheap amusement, hard to beat the Malory Square Circus. If you have ever seen a lion show at a circus, visualize it with cats. Show is free; tip if you enjoyed it.

<h1 class="Light"></h1>
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Key West Carnival With Trained Cats, Mallory Square

NO GROOMING ON STAGE!!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Key West in January

We were married at the Hemingway House with a steel drum player as our "wedding band"!!!...and a Key Lime wedding cake of course!

There is a place called the "Garden of Eden" up on top of another bar...3rd floor actually. *There are no signs for it and it is on Duval but I don't know the cross street. *It is "clothing optional" and somewhat interesting. *Go in at your own risk!!!! *

-- Edited by Baker on Friday 2nd of December 2011 11:20:57 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	justmarried copy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	8780   Click image for larger version

Name:	band.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	8781  
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
baker wrote:
we were married at the hemingway house with a steel drum player as our "wedding band"!!!...and a key lime wedding cake of course!
*love it!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

I haven't been to Key West in almost 30 years. I was unimpressed, the place seemed pretty much dead. But, I was much younger then and although I thought I knew everything I actually knew nothing. Maybe I missed what was going on.

My sister was good friends with one of Mel Fisher's daughters.* My father had a chance to invest in Fisher's treasure hunting operation but declined.* My mother never let's him hear the end of it.

It sure sounds like things have livened up a bit and gotten a lot more interesting.* I've been considering a visit in January or February.* I just might have to make some travel plans.
BaltimoreLurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #13
TF Site Team

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a cross between tacky tourist and not too much going on.

A plus is that our lodging will be free for a week as a sister-in-law and her husband are renting a house.

A so-so is that all my wife's siblings and spouses will be there, plus some nieces and nephews. From past experiences, this good be okay or awful.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #14
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Baker wrote:There is a place called the "Garden of Eden" up on top of another bar...3rd floor actually. *There are no signs for it and it is on Duval but I don't know the cross street. *It is "clothing optional" and somewhat interesting. *Go in at your own risk!!!!**
*Baker,

Is that the same one that the Transvestites hang out in front of?* On the right as you head for the sunset on Duval.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #15

KW can be Heaven or Hell, really depends on what you are looking for.
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #16
JD
Guru

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a cross between tacky tourist and not too much going on.

A plus is that our lodging will be free for a week as a sister-in-law and her husband are renting a house.

A so-so is that all my wife's siblings and spouses will be there, plus some nieces and nephews. From past experiences, this good be okay or awful.
Here is a little off the road place that is outstanding.* The trouble is you won't be able to take a big party.* The place is really small but it is outstanding*.* The bar seats four or five and there are may be ten table if that.* You need reservations.

http://www.7fish.com/?page_id=1

One of the best in town.* If we go no place else we go to the 7 Fish.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
JD wrote:Baker wrote:There is a place called the "Garden of Eden" up on top of another bar...3rd floor actually. *There are no signs for it and it is on Duval but I don't know the cross street. *It is "clothing optional" and somewhat interesting. *Go in at your own risk!!!!**
*Baker,

Is that the same one that the Transvestites hang out in front of?* On the right as you head for the sunset on Duval.

*JD, is that where you got the pink robe with the white fuzzy trim?* It's just to die for.
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #18
JD
Guru

Key West in January

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:JD wrote:Baker wrote:There is a place called the "Garden of Eden" up on top of another bar...3rd floor actually. *There are no signs for it and it is on Duval but I don't know the cross street. *It is "clothing optional" and somewhat interesting. *Go in at your own risk!!!!**
*Baker,

*JD, is that where you got the pink robe with the white fuzzy trim?* It's just to die for.

*No as a matter of fact I got the feather Boa there.*

The damn pink robe was to be red for a Santa coat but the dye just wouldn't take.* Well it won Best Costume any way.* Maybe I should have had my feather Boa on as well.

-- Edited by JD on Friday 2nd of December 2011 05:26:02 PM
Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #19
FF
Guru

"I thought I knew everything I actually knew nothing. Maybe I missed what was going on."

You missed the hotels with the naked guys frolicking in the pool?

In the past decades AIDS wiped out much of the male KW population , tho the Gay LADIES still own/operate many of the shops and resturants .

The real killer came when tour boats decided it was a "stop" , and the many interesting shoppes were replaced with brand name T shirt emporiums.

Nowhere will ever be "like it was" 30-40 years ago, tho KW still is promoted as a Gay Mecca world wide in its tourist advertising.

For us old straight cruisers its still a good stop. Still one magazine shop with a really fine inventory, loads of small places for a nice lunch, and the cat show and sunset cant be beat.

And a very pricy marine area at one hardware store.

If you can still drunk like you did years ago, there are plenty of late evening pubs open to crawl too and from.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #20
TF Site Team

Quote:
FF wrote:

If you can still drunk like you did years ago, there are plenty of late evening pubs open to crawl too and from.

*I can almost (well, not rreally) drink that way still, but unfortunately bedtime is now 9 pm.