Key Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
Anyone have any idea where I might get a copy of my boat key made? It's a weird one... Or maybe it's like all the rest. I do not know. (pic below)

My idea was to find a company that has a water-jet machine to cut them out of thin steel.

You guys got any better ideas?

Attachments

• boatkey.jpg
    boatkey.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 82
Have you tried a real locksmith shop? A good one can make darned near anything.

Have a few emails out to see. The first one was a no-go.

Keith wrote:

Have you tried a real locksmith shop? A good one can make darned near anything.
Yes.* Lowes and Home Depot can copy standard keys, but a real locksmith is something entirely different.* My boat uses a non-standard blank that's fairly common in commercial use but not residential.* Home centers could not do it but a locksmith did.

Looks like an old fashoned skeleton key.

Try antique stores.

Go to ebay.*

*They have thousands of them.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 10:16:34 AM

skipperdude wrote:

Looks like an old fashoned skeleton key.

Try antique stores.

Go to ebay.*

*They have thousands of them.

I saw several that look the same as yours.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 10:08:27 AM
********* Agree with SD

********* Also Flea Markets- there is usually a guy there with a box full.

**********JohnP

I have a similar key for my Taiwan sliding door lock but mine is not flat it is round all the way. I went to a 'Safe and Lock' company here and they took 3 days (I think they made a mold but I am not sure) and charged me $40 bucks for one and $10 for each additional, so for $60 I got three keys. Not cheap, but cheaper that a new lock which did not fit the same opening. Here's a link if you want to do it yourself: http://www.ehow.com/how_6824187_make-key-mold.html

Good Luck

JD wins! Marshall's had the blanks for about $4 each. The slight notches that make them different than the blank, I can cut on my bench grinder. However, I've had those locks apart and I see no way those notches can make a difference in the operation. Going to take them down and try them as blanks first. Then I'll worry about the cutting some other time.

Thanks guys!

Tom-

GonzoF1 wrote:

JD wins! Marshall's had the blanks for about $4 each. The slight notches that make them different than the blank, I can cut on my bench grinder. However, I've had those locks apart and I see no way those notches can make a difference in the operation. Going to take them down and try them as blanks first. Then I'll worry about the cutting some other time.

Thanks guys!

Tom-
Why didn't you just have them cut the keys?

Back
Top Bottom