Keeping motivation high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Sometimes, especially when projects go very awry, I develop a problem with motivation. We are going through every system on the boat we bought so that it is ready in about a year. I do not want to put off any of the projects to the last minute, but making myself crawl through the bilge one more time becomes difficult. Just using the bilge as an example. How do you stay motivated?

Focus on one thing. Get that done, then tackle the next. Don't think of the big picture, just the job at hand

Remember you can only eat an elephant one bite at a time. :)

We used the "easy button" and every time one of us finished a job we would hit it. "That was easy!"
That would always make us laugh no matter how long that "10 minute job" took.

If you purchased a project boat then you had to have known what you are getting into. When one job on your list is complete be happy with that, take a break and dig into the next one.

Motivation can also be an issue when cruising on a well maintained boat. We had a fuel leak recently and had to pull into a marina to fix it. I generally do all the maintainence on the boat so when I was down in the bilge trying to maneuver my 65 yo body in places it could not, I gave serious thought to hiring this out, which I did for part of the repair. Motivation was never a problem, frustration sometimes is. A day later and half a bottle of Advil and I'm ready to go.

I done the "refit" thing on previous boats and on the current one, am "making her mine". The big difference is being able to use the current boat between projects. Even a day cruise will bring back the dream of why we go through all the pain. So I suggest you get her "useable" first and then make her pretty and comfortable. We leave for Florida and beyond Monday. I have just cut a center hatch in the middle of the salon/saloon and will not be able to redo the flooring before we leave. I will take everything with me and do a little each day while we cruise. So if you hear a skill saw cruising by with a good looking lady at the helm, it is just me....living the dream.

I agree that frustration may be as much the problem as motivation. I guess there is a difference in the two words, but sometimes the results are very similar.

This is definitely not my first rodeo on boat rehab. Maybe this 66 YO body is also sneaking into the equation. However, when I do finish a project, such as now having a nice clean bilge, I feel just as satisfied as on the first boat project we had so many years ago.

Never, never, never, make a list of ALL the things you plan to do. It just looks too overwhelming for words. Working on some larger project if frustration sets in I always have some little thing I can work on. Finish the little thing and then back to the frustrating project. That way at the end of a day I can say well that got done even if the big project turns into weeks a few little jobs finished in between keeps one feeling like there is progress.

b&b, - I know how you feel. It can get overwhelming, especially if you have multiple projects on the go at various stages of (in)completion. The boat looks like a workshop, and there is no end in sight.

I know it makes sense to sometimes do project together, (like replacing fuel tanks while replacing engine) but usually I try to complete one task before starting the next. And before starting the next, - get out and enjoy your boat.
Even if it isn't ready to go o sea, clean up and put away your tools, and make it look ready. Enjoy a night or two at the dock with Mrs b&b and a nice bottle of wine.

I like to get rolling with something small and easy. Once I'm in the zone, I can tackle anything.

If I can't get the small easy thing done, I take the day off.

Been there done it..... boats, construction projects and so on. A lot of good advice above, some of it contradicting, and that's because everyone is different.

I DO list it ALL. Then I prioritize it, and look for phases that complement each other. (If you remove something, take care of whatever is now accessible.) I proceed methodically and re-prioritize and add/subtract from the list as I go along.

My most important tool to help me not hit "the wall" is to be fastidious. I probably spend as much time cleaning/organizing as I do actually working. This does a few things for me. First, I can still see the boat through the project, and if I squint I can see it done, and "hear" the motor(s) purring and the water rushing by the hull. Second, it's all a lot easier to oversee if materials and tools are organized. When it all turns into one big blob it can be overwhelming.

Once a friend was fixing up a rental house he bought after a flood and he was complaining he hit the wall. There was something going on in every room, and there were tools, materials and refuse everywhere. I told him what to do, and in about four hours the place was spotless, with all the tools on the floor, lined up, and all materials sorted and properly stacked. He took a step back, redid the lists, and said: "OK, now we continue here...." A week later it was done.

My $0.03

Last edited:
I just sorta fall into it. Sorta fast and sorta slow. Getting started sometimes needs some motivation but once I get into it I get emersed. Then I think and do little else. Especially the think part. Lots of the regular life stuff gets ignored. But when the landlord comes for the rent wearing his gun I take notice but then I've lost my checkbook and wrote the last check a week ago.

Re getting the boat ready this spring one thing led to another and it was fall before she was ready to cruise. Worked hard on the boat but then domestic jobs couldn't be ignored any longer and I'd work hard on those so I could get back to the boat. An ongoing cycle. Often I think I need to simplify my life. Whatever happened to the corn cob pipe down the river on the houseboat? I have the straw hat to ward off skin cancer .. haha. What ever happened to the easy life of being retired? I gotta get closer to the rock'in chair and the houseboat. Could an OB boat be the answer? That would simplify my life considerably.

So motivation wise I start thinking about a project and that leads to more thinking. And that leads me out to the garage and soon things are happening and that leads to "on a mission" activity.

Greetings,
The last two posts by Messrs. Al and o combined are the most successful approaches mentioned thus far and the KEY to any motivational conundrum IMO.
Some days, progress on that ongoing locker rebuild just isn't going to happen BUT just maybe this would be a good day to repair or adjust that door that keeps popping open or organize one's tool cabinet. One more thing off the "to do list".
I can empathize with Mr. o. Sometimes I think I spend more time cleaning up than actually doing a job. One thing I've found to be beneficial is a small tote tray in which I put all of the smaller tools and materials in that I think I may need.
7075_prev.jpg

The tray minimizes clutter about the work site, saves steps, is a good place to put removed parts or small scraps/garbage bits and makes clean up a lot faster and easier.

Hang in there . One area at a time is good advice . I must be a glutton for punishment .This is some of my project history:

1.refurbished 1975 pearson 26' sailboat
2. completly reworked/ refurbished 1965 islander sailboat .This one took seven years in my backyard ( insufficent funds added some time to the project) sometimes it would stay covered up for 3 months without any work being done .
3.The house that we are in now is over 100 years old and we have restored / rebuilt 75% of it . Two years before we could move in
4. Current boat . Completly rebuilt the interior with all new mahogany .Exteror new teak caprail and new teak doors ,new paint and some mechanical stuff. This has been a three year project and still going on .
Future : I'm looking at a boat now that would probably do me in.

When I did som extensive work I got into places not seen by a human since the boat was built. Good thing too as problems were found and fixed before they became a big deal. When you are done you will have confidence that everything you did was done to your satisfaction and more importantly there are no hidden sins lurking to bite you.
Getting started each day sometimes was difficult. I set a plan of starting early or not at all for that day. Some days are needed for R&R or getting parts or other stuff. I found if I did anything except start to work right away I was better off to just do something else that day.

At my age (79) I just don't have the endurance I used to have, ergo, one task a day. I'm lookin' forward to changin' the oil in my two Volvos come February 2nd, my 80th birthday. On a boat it ain't work, it's fun.

I got a lil' devil on one shoulder saying: 'take a nap', 'it'll still be there tomorrow', 'oh you'll get to it eventually.' Then I have my Grandpa on the other shoulder saying: 'If you don't do it Laddie Buck nobody else will do it for you!' and then he proceeds to go over to the devil and kick his ass!

Diversions are good. A few hours here, a couple there. Allows you time to decompress and reformulate your priorities. I prefer the 'one lil' bite at a time' approach.

I'm 5 seasons (2-1/2 yrs of actual work) into my project. Motivation is always an issue. Great thread topic.

Good luck with your project. :thumb:

Seems the best motivation is to invite friends or family out on the boat. Even if you are just sitting at the dock for cocktails. You will be motivated to get it ready for them to arrive. This was my motivation for getting the black water holding tank replaced this past month. 2 day job that now seems like an easy project, now that it is done... :nonono:

Yes, getting to know your boat is one of the rewards, and in a way a motivator for working on your own boat. On the sailboat I had I could find every one of 9 through hulls in the dark with my eyes closed, as well as every battery switch.

I believe it is a good thing to take a breather when a conundrum comes up. I've found if I plow on and try to "finish" the job invariably I've missed some component that's critical. Now, when I'm tired I take that to mean STOP.

Tomorrow is a new day and in the meantime I'll ponder.

Like others, being organized is a Key Component. I put everything away before I tackle a job. Whatever it is, be it the monthly battery checks or writing an article for my website... things are tidy First. Chaos is my enemy.

That's not to say I cannot lose stuff. I just lost six screws (for a switch I Started wiring two months ago) so had to buy replacements. Twice. Because the first set were too large (needed size 4 and bought 6)

It is difficult to stay motivated when Everything seems to be a barrier to progress. Job Creep is alive and well aboard Seaweed. And sometimes it's time to call in a new professional. I did that today.

I made a list when I purchased her. Long list-then I listed in order that I would do them-first on the list was to get it ready mechanically-next was to get it ready to cruise, then all the cosmetics. When I'd get tired of crawling around the bilge I'd pick out something that could be done without to much effort. Of course the boat is docked across from my camp so I'd spend a few days working on her with a lot of breaks at the camp.

Fatigue is the enemy. That's when you start makin' mistakes. Know when to quit and pick it up another day. Lookin' for a tool that is right in your hand is a sure sign of fatigue.

The al and o advice above is good. I used to manage projects too. One of my best mentors taught me a lesson: list it all, then make a post-it for today >> first/next/last and most urgent. You can only get a days work on a Post-it.

Usually, the most "urgent" thing is something 'ya don't wanna work on. That is normal human response, and part of management. Managing projects forces one to admit one's weaknesses and deal with them, or be punished for not dealing with them.

Still works for me.

Having a boat is already the super-highway to producing conflict in ones life. Moments of bliss and moments of misery. One can hope the bliss is more often, but sometimes the less often is more often than not.

Eat your greens before you enjoy dessert.
Don`t leave things not done you want to do but in reality lack the ability or confidence to tackle, know when get help.
Faced with a number of things in equal need, start with one, any one, just start, otherwise it`s "paralysis by indecision".
If it`s no worse when you finish, you did ok.:D

"How do you stay motivated?"

AS soon as the boat is safe to leave the dock, CRUISE IT!

Get underway , the list of jobs will change dramatically from the "perfect" as seen in the slip.

Fix what is dangerous and GO!

For me, small completions are motivation. In my refit project, because there were so many things that needed to be done simultaneously, it was easy to get overwhelmed and lose motivation. Many systems were disassembled and removed for the glass and paint work. Other systems were worked on while the glass and paint work was being done. The other projects couldn't be completed until components removed for the glass and paint work were reinstalled. There were so many projects that there was never a lack of things you could do, but nothing ever completed. It would be easy to get frustrated and lose motivation. When I felt I was reaching that point, I would find a small project that I could complete that day and do it. The satisfaction of completing a small portion on a major project is a great motivator. Had a cabinet door that wouldn't latch when you closed the door. It required remounting the latch receiver. Small job to remove the receiver, fill the holes with epoxy putty and then remount the receiver. The satisfaction of completing that small job overshadowed several days of seemingly little progress. To me, small victories are the key to staying motivated.

Ted

You could also start a thread here documenting your progress. Not only will you gets tons of advice, wanted or not, but lots of encouragement.

Sometimes, especially when projects go very awry, I develop a problem with motivation. .... I do not want to put off any of the projects to the last minute, but making myself crawl through the bilge one more time becomes difficult. Just using the bilge as an example. How do you stay motivated?
Boy, have I shared that feeling with you over the past few years! As many on this forum may recall, I lost my enthusiasm for boating and was contemplating keeping, selling or donating it. I chose selling and buying a larger, faster boat with a few warts and pimples. It was a damn good choice as I now go to the marina almost every day with the intent of completing another project. My goal is to bring "Sandpiper" up to "like new" condition. Although I really enjoy my time when cruising, it pales by comparison the the joy I get out of completing projects. (Whether with my own labors or hired!)

Now, to answer your question. I just had my bilges cleaned and painted by a very talented young man & I presently enjoy crawling through them, admiring his work and smelling a clean, freshly painted space. It has provided me with another injection of motivation to complete the myriad of projects that all boats have. :blush:

4 new AGMs for the bow thruster

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
You could also start a thread here documenting your progress. Not only will you gets tons of advice, wanted or not, but lots of encouragement.
Really? :ermm::rolleyes:

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom