Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #21
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30
I made a list when I purchased her. Long list-then I listed in order that I would do them-first on the list was to get it ready mechanically-next was to get it ready to cruise, then all the cosmetics. When I'd get tired of crawling around the bilge I'd pick out something that could be done without to much effort. Of course the boat is docked across from my camp so I'd spend a few days working on her with a lot of breaks at the camp.

ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #22
Fatigue is the enemy. That's when you start makin' mistakes. Know when to quit and pick it up another day. Lookin' for a tool that is right in your hand is a sure sign of fatigue.

ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member
City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
The al and o advice above is good. I used to manage projects too. One of my best mentors taught me a lesson: list it all, then make a post-it for today >> first/next/last and most urgent. You can only get a days work on a Post-it.

Usually, the most "urgent" thing is something 'ya don't wanna work on. That is normal human response, and part of management. Managing projects forces one to admit one's weaknesses and deal with them, or be punished for not dealing with them.

Still works for me.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #24
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Having a boat is already the super-highway to producing conflict in ones life. Moments of bliss and moments of misery. One can hope the bliss is more often, but sometimes the less often is more often than not.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Eat your greens before you enjoy dessert.
Don`t leave things not done you want to do but in reality lack the ability or confidence to tackle, know when get help.
Faced with a number of things in equal need, start with one, any one, just start, otherwise it`s "paralysis by indecision".
If it`s no worse when you finish, you did ok.
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 AM   #26
"How do you stay motivated?"

AS soon as the boat is safe to leave the dock, CRUISE IT!

Get underway , the list of jobs will change dramatically from the "perfect" as seen in the slip.

Fix what is dangerous and GO!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #27
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
For me, small completions are motivation. In my refit project, because there were so many things that needed to be done simultaneously, it was easy to get overwhelmed and lose motivation. Many systems were disassembled and removed for the glass and paint work. Other systems were worked on while the glass and paint work was being done. The other projects couldn't be completed until components removed for the glass and paint work were reinstalled. There were so many projects that there was never a lack of things you could do, but nothing ever completed. It would be easy to get frustrated and lose motivation. When I felt I was reaching that point, I would find a small project that I could complete that day and do it. The satisfaction of completing a small portion on a major project is a great motivator. Had a cabinet door that wouldn't latch when you closed the door. It required remounting the latch receiver. Small job to remove the receiver, fill the holes with epoxy putty and then remount the receiver. The satisfaction of completing that small job overshadowed several days of seemingly little progress. To me, small victories are the key to staying motivated.

I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #28
TF Site Team
City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
You could also start a thread here documenting your progress. Not only will you gets tons of advice, wanted or not, but lots of encouragement.
You never really learn to swear until you become a boat owner!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #29
City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Originally Posted by bikeandboat View Post
Sometimes, especially when projects go very awry, I develop a problem with motivation. .... I do not want to put off any of the projects to the last minute, but making myself crawl through the bilge one more time becomes difficult. Just using the bilge as an example. How do you stay motivated?
Boy, have I shared that feeling with you over the past few years! As many on this forum may recall, I lost my enthusiasm for boating and was contemplating keeping, selling or donating it. I chose selling and buying a larger, faster boat with a few warts and pimples. It was a damn good choice as I now go to the marina almost every day with the intent of completing another project. My goal is to bring "Sandpiper" up to "like new" condition. Although I really enjoy my time when cruising, it pales by comparison the the joy I get out of completing projects. (Whether with my own labors or hired!)

Now, to answer your question. I just had my bilges cleaned and painted by a very talented young man & I presently enjoy crawling through them, admiring his work and smelling a clean, freshly painted space. It has provided me with another injection of motivation to complete the myriad of projects that all boats have.

4 new AGMs for the bow thruster
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	46015  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:40 PM   #30
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
You could also start a thread here documenting your progress. Not only will you gets tons of advice, wanted or not, but lots of encouragement.

I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #31
City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I never look at jobs on board as "work." I look at every task as a physical workout. Crawling around the engine room, struggling with a recalcitrant bolt, waxing, sanding, stretching over the starboard engine to reach the oil filter I keep promising to remote to the other side is all a physical challenge. I'm 73 and I can still wrestle a wrench (and a wench) with the best of them because I keep at it. When the going gets tough, the tough get going!! No whining!
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #32

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: INFINITY ∞
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 62
an 'old timer' gave me a couple of hints a few months ago.

1. Never start a new project in the afternoon.
2. Stop work at 4pm, shower & enjoy sundowners.

I love listening to these older guys,,, they've been there, done that,,, they are so right!
Julie and I are enjoying our projects/maintenance much more because of these two simple rules.

here's some project & maintenance tasks we've completed.

Andy & Julie Nemier
nemier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #33
Part of the problem is successful work vanishes!

RE-did a set of steps , after the second day of completion , they "were always that way" .

Same for all the other little projects , they are taken for granted , instantly.

By cruising you get the joy of the completed task, daily.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #34
Scraping Paint
City: -
How to stay motivated? Good question. On Tuesday, I'm taking the day off to go up to Bellingham to move the boat we keep up there to the Travelift for it's third haulout in the continuing effort to find and fix a problem with the starboard packing gland. This sort of thing can get discouraging and cause one to start thinking that maybe boating isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

At the same time this has been going on I had a major shoot to direcct with some of the Seattle Seahawks and a new 747-8F, a project with a ton of cost and pressure attached to it. It's been a good lesson in how challenges that aren't too difficult to deal with individually can combine to create a very stressful and, in the case of the boat, somewhat depressing situation.

The hardest thing for me--- be it working on one of our boats, vehicles, the house, you name it--- is not the work itself but thinking about the work before I start. The "I have to do this and get that stuff together and crawl underneath this and I just don't feel like doing all that again" thing.

But one thing I've learned over a bunch of years is that no matter how intimidating or worrysome or I-just-don't-want-to-do-it an upcoming project seems--- be it a film shoot or a boat project or changing the oil in a vehicle--- you just start in and then you're doing it and then it's done even though "being done" seemed an impossibly long way off before you started.

When we bought our old cabin cruiser it had (and still has) a number of things that needed doing to it, most of them cosmetic. And right after we got the boat to Bellngham a number of challenges we'd never encountered before as we were new to this kind of boating cropped up. It was easy to wonder if we'd bitten off way more than we could chew.

The shipwright who at the time was the lead maintenance person on the big Grand Banks charter fleet in the harbor gave us a great piece of advice which we have fairly successfully adhered to during the last 17 years. And that is don't let all the jobs that have to be done get you down. Don't try to do everything at once; it will just get you frustrated and you'll end up hating the boat. Pick one job, do it to completion, then pick anohter job, do that one to completion, and so on. And don't fret about the other jobs while you're working on the one you've selected to do.

I was inspired to move to this area from Hawaii whild riding the Queen of Prince Rupert from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island at the end of a six-week vacation to the Yukon with a friend. I'd shipped my Land Rover from Hawaii to the mainland for the trip and would be shipping it back at the end of the trip.

I had never seen the Inside Passage before and it completely blew me away as I watched the mountains and glaciers and waterfalls go past. It was while standing on the aft deck of that ferry that I decided this was where I wanted to live the rest of my life.

Two years later I made the move and immediately set about exploring the whole region, intially by floatplane and later adding boats. Being out on (or over) the water here is why I made the move in the first place. Working on our boats is what allows us to do what we want to do.

While it doesn't make crawling around in the engine room of our cabin cruiser changing 24 quarts of oil any more delightful of a task, and while hauling our boat three times in a row to deal with a problem is a pain in the ass, it's what it takes to let us contnue doing what brought me here in the first place 35 years ago.

So we do it and when it's done and we're out in the islands somewhere the work it took to let us do this becomes pretty insignificant by comparison.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #35
City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
"How do you stay motivated?"

As many others here I'm also basically a DIY boat owner not so much for the frugality but for the satisfaction!
Like GoneFarrell my background is Project Mgmt so I can relate strongly to his suggestions
so my words of wisdom...
  • Have a plan - at least a rough one and prioritize
  • Plan time to have fun & enjoy the boat - work half days - every other wkend - only May - June - what ever works for you & yours but set aside fun or relax time
  • Completions are motivators - a chance to celebrate & show them off
  • Team work helps - some jobs are better done w/ a helping hand - don't be afraid to ask a friend to help and then repay them by assisting when they need help - everybody gets a break and satisfaction of helping others - not to mention the ability to take advantage of others skill set and learn

I've tried to remember to document my projects as a way to share - mine are on a "Bacchus" website along with some other boat / cruising related stuff.. just another way to show off what you've done and get some satisfaction - this is largely an off-season task that doesn't interfere with getting the work done and enjoying the boating season.
MS 34 HT Trawler
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #36
City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
One job at a time and completing before moving to the next is mostly what I do.

One of the last big tasks for my boat was compounding the entire boat, and fortunately I knew my limitations. I had a guy do it on weekends, and was delighted with the results. But it then really highlighted the condition of the rails and failing Cetol. I was dreading doing all the rails again. Then I decided to just go out and anchor for a couple of days and start on just one section of railing. It went much quicker than I expected, and the following weekend I went out again to start finishing that section. Now there are lots of sections to do, but seeing one nearly finished is a great feeling and I cant wait to go anchor out again. Of course I could just do it at the dock, and indeed some coats are applied at the dock. But cruising somewhere first is making it much more pleasurable.
Insequent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:44 AM   #37
City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Project management background.

Identify projects, a continuous, on-going task.

Prioritize. Critical (can't use boat) vs. lower categories. Divide lower categories into smaller groups (routine maintenance/service, something very useful is broken or needs updating, something seldom used is broken or needs updating, something works fine but an update would be useful, etc.).

Fix "critical" first.

Use boat. Do maintenance/service when intervals mandate. Deal with other categories when time and inclination permits.

"Use boat" being the carrot.

South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 AM   #38
City: Iroquois, ON
Vessel Name: She:Kon
Vessel Model: Bateau TW28
I watch this at least once a week knowing that it'll be me there one day!

Same basic model as ours. We stretched ours 39" in the main cabin. They stretched theirs 24" in the forward cabin area.

It helps keeping the project interest high!
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"
She-Kon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #39
Vessel Model: Tiara 33 - Open - twin perkins
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
I done the "refit" thing on previous boats and on the current one, am "making her mine". The big difference is being able to use the current boat between projects. Even a day cruise will bring back the dream of why we go through all the pain. So I suggest you get her "useable" first and then make her pretty and comfortable. We leave for Florida and beyond Monday. I have just cut a center hatch in the middle of the salon/saloon and will not be able to redo the flooring before we leave. I will take everything with me and do a little each day while we cruise. So if you hear a skill saw cruising by with a good looking lady at the helm, it is just me....living the dream.

BinkleyBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:04 PM   #40
City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
a new 747-8F, a project with a ton of cost and pressure attached to it.
Still building those?

Currently boatless but looking. Avatar is my first boat....Holland, 1965 ish.....
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote