Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #81
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post

But I'm more convinced than ever that that upper Chesapeake area is where we need to be.

Good thoughts, Scott. It'll be somewhere in between, I expect. Not a boutique and not a fish cannery. I'm learning that deciding on a marina has almost as many compromises as buying a boat.

Yep, usually it comes down to "features" (including drive time) versus cost... and within reason, cost isn't usually our first criterion.

Repeating: within reason

-Chris

Old 04-08-2014, 01:45 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Worton Creek seems a good location. It is well sheltered, and near some great ports/anchorages. Still Pond is one of my favorite anchorages. The Sassafras River has some good stuff on it. Then you are not too far from Baltimore and Annapolis. Not that far from Chestertown and Rock Hall.

When I was at Worton Creek they were kind of specializing in restoring Bertram 31 sport fishing boats. Are they still at that?

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #83

City: Rock Hall, MD
Vessel Name: Caldonia
Vessel Model: Endeavour TC44
We love Lankford Bay. It is a good marina for staying in the slip, anchoring nearby, or taking a quick cruise to middle bay locations. We are rarely bothered by wake or noise when anchored out.

It is just a few minutes drive into Rock Hall.

Water depth is good at the marina and local creeks.

Visitors love the facilities and scenery.

The marina has a good, free pump-out that doesn't get too much traffic. The marina's water is good.

The owner lives at the marina. He and his staff take great care of the boats. There were no boats damaged during Isabel.

It certainly is no boutique but it has the right compromises for my wife and me. Based on the other places you've considered it sounds like it might meet your needs too.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #84
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Worton Creek seems a good location. It is well sheltered, and near some great ports/anchorages. Still Pond is one of my favorite anchorages. The Sassafras River has some good stuff on it. Then you are not too far from Baltimore and Annapolis. Not that far from Chestertown and Rock Hall.

When I was at Worton Creek they were kind of specializing in restoring Bertram 31 sport fishing boats. Are they still at that?

There was a sport fisher on the hard, I believe. Also, a nice Flemming in the shed. It's a real working boatyard. They also do a lot of in and out-of-water winter storage. Thought I took a photo of the behemoth John is restoring, but apparently not. Worton's high on our list.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote