Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #41
FF
Guru

For folks really wanting to stick to a budget , the simplest is to simply go cruising.

No car saves a grand a year , anchoring out a grand to $10K , depending on location.

Bring plenty of anchors , so loosing a set wont break the bank.

Folks still working can have the lowest cost, with a mooring ball, and a rented dink dock , usually at a marina.
.A DIY marina is low cost if you can paint your own bottom, and change a zinc.

In Fl sometimes property owners will allow live a board at their dock.
Locally its about $100 a week , plus electric , not bad considering a house trailer is $600 a month at a nice trailer park, (there ALL not Bill Clinton trolling grounds) .

Living aboard , and dumping the dirt house is a big step, but for many its the best plan, and by far the most fun!

No commute to the boat , but those repair smells are a PIA at times.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:59 AM   #42

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
Boat in fresh water you will save a lot!

funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #43

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
On the issue of insurance, one way to save is to waive windstorm coverage. I've been quoted $7,000/annum for liability plus loss from windstorm (hurricanes and other named storms), but settled for $1,000/annum for only liability and agreed value loss (a sum which I have invested in the boat itself). Of course this means saving the boat in the event a hurricane heads our way is strictly up to me, an obligation I fully accept and would meet regardless of whether I had windstorm coverage or not. If you have a good hurricane plan, you can save a bundle by foregoing windstorm coverage.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #44
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
On the issue of insurance, one way to save is to waive windstorm coverage. I've been quoted $7,000/annum for liability plus loss from windstorm (hurricanes and other named storms), but settled for $1,000/annum for only liability and agreed value loss (a sum which I have invested in the boat itself). Of course this means saving the boat in the event a hurricane heads our way is strictly up to me, an obligation I fully accept and would meet regardless of whether I had windstorm coverage or not. If you have a good hurricane plan, you can save a bundle by foregoing windstorm coverage.
Sounds reasonable to me and that sure follows the logic I believe Pilothouse is suggesting with windsurfing and sharks.

My philosophy too (even though my coverage is only $1300/year with hurricane coverage plus $400 reimbursement to move or haul.

But my boat being my home...what's in it is more valuable than the boat itself meaning both my "home" and valuables....so escaping a hurricane becomes a priority which I did during Sandy.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #45
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
For the first year of ownership I was marching down the path of bringing Moon Dance back up to like new, bristol condition. Eventually I realized all that was doing was preventing me from using the boat for fun. Not to mention the expense! So now I just keep the running and safety gear up to par, the drinks cold and the water outside the boat. Much more enjoyable!

It might make a difference that I bought a tired boat not long before the financial crash. I don't think I could sell her at all now, much less for anything like what I paid. Even though it wasn't all that much to start with. So, I am going to wring all the fun out of her that I can and when she falls apart or the trusty old Lehman stops working, I may just walk away.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:05 AM   #46
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Cheaper boating?

Get a sailboat. Anchor it near a boat landing so there are no slip fees. Get a small dinghy and row out to your boat. Use free wind instead of gas or diesel for propulsion. Use solar and wind to generate electricity. Use solar for hot water.

When cruising, pull into a marina, dump your garbage, fill your water tanks, then buy five gallons of fuel. Cast off and anchor in front of the marina instead of paying for a slip for the night.

Wash your laundry on the boat and hang it on the rails to dry. You can usually find fenders floating so no need to buy them.

Lots of ways to boat on the cheap.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #47
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Just curious how much everyone pays for tax? Around here the tax is all local county tax. Some counties are more vigilant than others about collecting property tax on an asset you keep in their county.
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #48
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Try Coan River Marina. Basic services but as economical as it gets. Plus Gary, the owner, is a fun guy. They are in Lottsburg, VA right off the Potomac.
Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #49
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Egregious:

My NC county (New Hanover) sends me a bill each year for boat property tax. I heard they have "scouts" that go around marinas and gather boat names, and look them up to find the owners. They found me!! Tax is not super high, so I gladly pay it.

You're in Brunswick, so they do things their own way.

Regarding cheap boating- I find when I'm cruising my credit card bill drops a good bit. Fuel, ice, some supplies, occasional overnight dockage. It's harder for me to spend money when on the go. Fresh fish helps too!!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #50

City: Baltimore
Not sure where you are looking to be on the bay...it is about 200 miles long. Prices are somewhat dependent on where you want to go. For cheap in the north i check out Weaver's. Eastern shore is a little cheaper if you don't mind being over there. Nice area, but for us, the drive from home to the boat is a deal breaker.

IMHO the best buy on the bay is one of the many 'Working' Yacht clubs. i say working because they are member maintained, from bar tending to grass cutting the members do it all. most clubs have a 30-50 hour/year requirement. If you are going to be in the area year round those are easy to get.

Either way...i hate to pay a dime more for anythign than i have to.
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
So, what are some of your secrets for preventing boating from costing more than necessary?
I switched to Bristol Finish from real varnish for my brightwork. With varnish, I had to have it done every 10 months. With Bristol, every 2 years works just fine and the finish looks just like varnish. With labor and material, this is a $1000 a year savings for me. But if you want to save even more, just avoid boats with exterior teak.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Cheaper boating?

Get a sailboat. Anchor it near a boat landing so there are no slip fees. Get a small dinghy and row out to your boat. Use free wind instead of gas or diesel for propulsion. Use solar and wind to generate electricity. Use solar for hot water.

When cruising, pull into a marina, dump your garbage, fill your water tanks, then buy five gallons of fuel. Cast off and anchor in front of the marina instead of paying for a slip for the night.

Wash your laundry on the boat and hang it on the rails to dry. You can usually find fenders floating so no need to buy them.

Lots of ways to boat on the cheap.
...fairly common in the ragbag and a subset of the looper communities. Another angle for those who are traveling in packs is for one boat to actually rent a slip while the others anchor out. The boat in the slip becomes the dinghy entry point into the marina and all of it's facilities. In fact, after marina staff have departed for the night I've seen a pack of sailboats shuttle in and out of the one rented slip to take on water and use laundry, shower and trash facilities. In one instance they stole all of the toilet paper and hand toweling and left at sunrise. In another instance they departed with courtesy power cords. How cheap do you want to go...
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egregious View Post
Just curious how much everyone pays for tax? Around here the tax is all local county tax. Some counties are more vigilant than others about collecting property tax on an asset you keep in their county.
We are in Florida where there is no property taxes on boats. States with taxes go about it two ways. Some work from boat registrations. Others work from physical presence and often do that county by county. While you're required to file and list the boat, many don't so they do walk through's just as they do of store fronts in strip centers. Then once they see you and tax you, they ask about prior years, and they continue to tax future years until you prove to them you're no longer there.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #54
Guru

There's boating on the cheap and not wasting money...you know being frugal (well at least most get it)...some pretty long noses are being looked down when the OP was really looking for ideas such as upgrading anchors can be done by putting watch software to work to see if one pops up on ebay or craig's list...maybe even boat forums. A used anchor in good condition works just as well as the one bought off the shelf at some high priced store.

There's people on here that would be willing to help get new equipment at a reasonable price and suggest ways to save on shipping maybe.

There's already been helpful tips on insurance even though some might disagree...which is perfectly OK but not the only answer....

Some people will do this hobby even if it requires cutting a few corners....doesn't make them less of a person or cruiser at all....unless they resort to the cheating/stealing levels mentioned....but the OP was saying he's not a cheapskate...just frugal which make him smart in my book as opposed to anyone who really shouldn't carelessly spend but does.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #55
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Ian, what about something like renting one of Hartge Yacht Harbor's moorings. Then with dinghy dock privileges rent a rack to store a dinghy. With a good solar setup, it should work. These folks ought to see the boat you have under contract. She is a beauty, and would have turned my head. There is a difference in being cheap and economical.

I think it was Benjamin Franklin that said, "a penny saved is a penny earned". Not today. Today a penny saved is a penny and a half earned. More power to you for getting the best deal you can.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #56
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
boat in fresh water you will save a lot!
i agree x 10
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 PM   #57
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
BTW - Don't know if this was mentioned: Covered slip will save you thousands in weathering on your boat's exterior by making it so that rain, snow, wind, sleet or ruinous sun-rays will have no effect on your boat. Also makes it easier to quickly clean your boat and keep it looking OK. Although, covered slips can get a bit costly... I highly recommend them if you are going to often dock your boat at rest in a home port. If you are going to be out and about most of the year... then NO slip is the least hassle, least expensive way to go.

We don’t even try to present our boat as a Pretty-Girl Pleasure Craft, but rather, we do keep and use our boat as an in good mechanical condition, self contained, long-duration cruiser/anchor-out FUN TOY that we all enjoy the heck out of. I could spend a long-week (40 + hrs) any year polishing her nails, fluffing her hair and putting on her lipstick on – however – I’d much rather be swimming and playing around. If for some currently unforeseen reason we decide to sell her – THEN I’ll make her pretty asss look like a Million Bucks! But till “then” she’s our comfortable girl for Play Baby Play!

Happy Boating Daze! - Art
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Slip 100_0416.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	28912   Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	28913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	28915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	28916  
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #58
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Boating is a state of mind and personal finances. Some are anal about things mechanical and let the esthetics go, others the reverse. Some are both some neither. Some go around the world and others float and go nowhere.

I overnighted in a back bay marina last night and the boat across the way has a wood burning stove and unfinished plywood stern cabin. One dock over a 1938 wooden tug has been finished to immaculate.

There is no affordable boating rule, only one's state of mind and finances will provide you what you desire.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #59
Guru

Another money saver IF you need to be tied up off and on a lot...is to look for places with multiple day rates (stay 2 get 3rd free) or long term like Ft Pierce Muni...for me it was going to be around $600 to stay 11 or so days...it was less than $800 to stay the whole month.

Isle of Hope in Savannah, Ga was very good at pro-rating the cheapest stay...they would round you to the next lowest rate every time you clicked past the last rate...and if you aren't there for the mad snowbirder rush...they practically begged you to go out and about in their courtesy car.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:55 PM   #60
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Thank you, Scott and Don, for putting my questions in the right context. Actually, it's been months since I knocked over a marina to save a few bucks on toilet paper. .

You're exactly right that I'm not obsessing over money; simply looking for economical alternatives. I don't pay list price for cars or other big purchases and tend to shop for the best deal I can get on airline tickets, hotels and many other things. So why not apply that philosophy to boating where it makes sense?

Despite the sidetracks, there's been a ton of great suggestions, which I really appreciate.

Don, I thought about a mooring ball, but doubt I'd sleep well being two hours from where she's moored. I like the idea of having dock neighbors keeping an eye on her.

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote