Kayaks as dinghy....foot pedal vs paddling ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you look close at my avatar picture of Moon River you will see a tandem Hobie on the top deck beside the 15ft Gig Harbor. The kayak has a very low profile. Agree with all Seevee has to say about the Hobie units.

HI

A bunch of kayak photos....

Kayaking around, at boat parade, cursing around, the Island sail kayak, stopping at the Legion for a beer, even one time with the Admiral and her broken leg.... worked fine.

Attachments

• Kayak to Legion.jpg
    Kayak to Legion.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Kayak Bridge.jpg
    Kayak Bridge.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 40
  • KayakLeg.JPG
    KayakLeg.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 43
  • KayakLegion.jpg
    KayakLegion.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Ralphon Hobie.jpg
    Ralphon Hobie.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Terri Kayak.jpg
    Terri Kayak.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Vet Parade Island.jpg
    Vet Parade Island.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 45
Very good post Sevee,
You should post more often.
I'm taking what you say to the bank.
Seems they are a lot better than I thought.
I'll try one if I get the chance w/o walking a mile.
For now I'm going to try my aluminum canoe for a dinghy. It's 15', Alumacraft .. wide and full in both ends. Can pack two of us and a lot of stuff. I went to a lot of trouble w a Handyman jack pushing the bottom down a bit at a time until it was a nice gentle curve. Gives the originally straight keel about 3/4" rocker. It has a 1" keel but turns nicely now and paddles anywhere in the wind. Need to board the Willard w "hook top" ladder. Haven't tried it.

Re posting pics see top of page and go to FAQ. Find pics and go. Any trouble Private Mail (PM top right of page) and we'll git-er-done. PM me also via clicking on "Nomad Willy" above avatar and send msg.

Nomad,
Thx, and will post more often. Try them, they are not perfect, but sure are a lot of fun. They won't hold what a canoe will, and won't replace a dinghy, but have some advantages with fun.

I've never tried the inflatable.... and a bit afraid to get one, as everything that I have that inflates, goes flat. Does seem like a good design.

Wish you were closer, I'd be glad to take you out on mine. I've taken out a number of friends and they have bought. Had one friend that we shopped for and got a ~2006 tandem Oasis for $1000 (well worth $1500)....occasionally you can luck out.

If you look close at my avatar picture of Moon River you will see a tandem Hobie on the top deck beside the 15ft Gig Harbor. The kayak has a very low profile. Agree with all Seevee has to say about the Hobie units.

I have to ask you, how do you get this up and down? Thats something I'm working on......

Thanks Seevee,
I lucked out recently and got a 12' Gig Harbor Defiance as a rowboat/OB. Really like that boat.

Thanks Seevee,
I lucked out recently and got a 12' Gig Harbor Defiance as a rowboat/OB. Really like that boat.

That is a good boat I have the 15 ft gig Harbor rowboat and put a moving seat rowing rig in her. Slow compared to a shell but great exercise. I got the parts from Gig Harbor and between us installed the rig. That is the blue boat on Moon Rivers roof.

I have to ask you, how do you get this up and down? Thats something I'm working on......

I used to put the kayak up on my previous boat by putting a slippery piece of firm plastic or SS round on the edge of rear roof and lifting bow up from cockpit by bow line the pulling boat from bow over the slippery edge piece of plastic. Some times I had help from wife some times not. On Moon River I cheat using the electric crane. On my pilgrim I lifted the kayak's out of the water by pulling bow line up from the side of the roof then grabbing the bow handle and rotating the boat 90 degrees to the roof hauling it over the slippery edge protector (SS or plastic) finishing the job. The floatation of the rear of the boat allows for this technique and the reversal to drop into the water. The kayaks' can literally stand straight up on their tails when bow line is pulled up. Don't do this with fins in the boat or rudder down.

I used to put the kayak up on my previous boat by putting a slippery piece of firm plastic or SS round on the edge of rear roof and lifting bow up from cockpit by bow line the pulling boat from bow over the slippery edge piece of plastic. Some times I had help from wife some times not. On Moon River I cheat using the electric crane. On my pilgrim I lifted the kayak's out of the water by pulling bow line up from the side of the roof then grabbing the bow handle and rotating the boat 90 degrees to the roof hauling it over the slippery edge protector (SS or plastic) finishing the job. The floatation of the rear of the boat allows for this technique and the reversal to drop into the water. The kayaks' can literally stand straight up on their tails when bow line is pulled up. Don't do this with fins in the boat or rudder down.

eyschulman,

Good points, that's pretty much how I load mine onto the Suburban, but have to put a moving pad on the Suburban so it won't scratch the car.

We each own ocean kayaks.
These things would never replace a dinghy but they are a great way to get arround. We've never had the ability to bring them with us on the sailboat for the obvious reason that they are 17' long!
We are hopeful that we might be able to find a way to attach them somewhere on the Tug though.
If not I'd be amenable to a Hobie type.
We will have to see how it all works out!
Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_0052.jpg
    IMG_0052.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 33
Another pedal kayak to check out is the Native Slayer series. They use pedals with a propeller drive and rudder to steer. I have had a 13 footer for a couple of years and really like it. Very stable, easy to pedal and fast. Only disadvantage I have occasionally found is it does require about 10" of water to use the pedal drive. It does have a tip up feature for the drive so you can paddle in the shallows - took a bit to get used to but I really like it.

If I had the opportunity to buy again I would get the 10 footer - lighter and just as stable. Price is around $2,300 to $2,500 currently I think.

usual disclaimer - I have no financial interest in this, just sharing info from a happy owner.

John

I
That is a good boat I have the 15 ft gig Harbor rowboat and put a moving seat rowing rig in her. Slow compared to a shell but great exercise. I got the parts from Gig Harbor and between us installed the rig. That is the blue boat on Moon Rivers roof.

eyes,
I'll check on the Gig Harbor website and see what your 15' is like. Three feet longer than my 12 but the 12 seems like a bigger boat. It's not light. I'm working my brain hard to come up w a seat layout that will allow tandam rowing and outboarding for two. I think I'll use the top of the center board trunk for the fwd seat support after I move it back centered on the top of the CB trunk. But the seat will need to be in it's standard location for tandam rowing. Also I want the fwd facing rowing system.

I see it eyes. Looks much like swampscott dory. Yup .. a lot bigger than mine w very different stern. A bigger boat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom