Just testing pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
1 test
Rotated 90 clockwise.

Attachments

• F C 1.jpg
    F C 1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
5 test
Horizontal cam.
1-2-3-4 all taken with vertical phone camera.
5 horizontal.
So, pics will only display correctly if taken in horizontal mode.
Weird.

Attachments

• 5 Horizontal.jpg
    5 Horizontal.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
5 test
Horizontal cam.
1-2-3-4 all taken with vertical phone camera.
5 horizontal.
So, pics will only display correctly if taken in horizontal mode.
Weird.

Right.

Your phone has an onboard viewer that rotates based on the orientation of the phone but the forum doesn't know what orientation you intend and so default to the standard view. Choices are to edit the image on your device to rotate (or take it vertically) before loading to the forum or load it in what ever orientation you want and then turn your monitor sideways to accommodate ;)

Well thanks Janet.
I wasn't intending to get your attention on this; I was just playing around.
All pictures were DL from phone to PC then to TF.
The first 4 were taken with the phone vertical and number 5, horizontal.
It did not matter how I rotated the 4, before posting, they just will not orient properly.

So, I guess I just have to adjust myself to always taking pictures horizontally.
Thanks for the catch anyway.

All pictures were DL from phone to PC then to TF.
The first 4 were taken with the phone vertical and number 5, horizontal.
It did not matter how I rotated the 4, before posting, they just will not orient properly.

So, I guess I just have to adjust myself to always taking pictures horizontally.

Did you rotate them after you DL to the PC on the computer? Strange as preview on my Mac loaded this way after rotation.

Attachments

• F C 1.jpg
    F C 1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2 Test.jpg
    2 Test.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 410
  • 3 Test.jpg
    3 Test.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 4 test Verticle.jpg
    4 test Verticle.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 84
Hi Mike.
Did you rotate them after you DL to the PC on the computer?
Yes, I DL from Android to netbook then rotated. Funny part is, when I rotate 90* CW they load to TF at 90* CCW and vice versa.

Oh and shhhhh;
it looks like you have a few empty feet at SNSYC

I was becoming seasick with those 90-degree, off horizon photos. Please do right!

Typically if shooting with an iPhone for a horizontal shot the phone should be held with the main control button to the right. For a vertical shot the control button should be at the bottom.

There are a number of apps one can use to correct the rotation of a photo. A fairly simple one I use is called Photo Manager Pro. You can orient a photo however you want in 90 degree increments as shown below.

For anyone interested, the photo below is of a 777 (or a 767 as the gear looks more like that plane) and it illustrates what creates lift. Lift is the product of Newton's 3rd (?) law which says for every action there is a reaction. A plane flies because its wing moves air down with a force equal to the weight of the plane which is why the plane stays up. Bernoulli has nothing to do with it although Bernoulli's theorem can be used to help the wing move air down more efficiently. But you don't need it to generate lift.

The swirls are the wingtip vortices created by the air moving spanwise along the wing to the end and spilling off the tip. These vortices create drag which is why winglets work--- they reduce the strength of the vortices and thus reduce the drag, something soaring birds learned a bazillion years ago. The birds are better at it than we are because they can almost infinitely adjust their winglets (primary flight feathers) to suit the immediate conditions.

We have film in our library of a 757 doing the same thing, only on the film you can see how violently the air being moved down by the wing deflects the cloud cover just under the plane.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443227678.987177.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443227697.332103.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443227715.031867.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1443227731.385381.jpg

Last edited:
Marin, you're "killing me."

Well, you could pretend it's a stop-motion video of a plane doing a barrel roll.:) Sort of like what Tex Johnson did with the 367-80 prototype of the KC-135/707.

Don't keep rotating your body and neck Mark...just rotate the computer screen...:D

I'll focus on less disturbing images, as in eastern Oregon at the 45th parallel.

Yet another test...
Different PC, different OS.

Hmmm...
This is interesting...
Seems like maybe part or all of the problem might be with Windows 8.1.
This picture is the same as post #4 above.
Post 4 was rotated with W 8.1 and would not orient.
This pic was rotated with W 7 and worked just fine, thank you very much.
So, now I dig into 8.1 to see what the issue is.
Maybe I'll go to another PC with W 10 to see what that does.

Attachments

• Verticle Rotated 90 CW.jpg
    Verticle Rotated 90 CW.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Just keep testing - the pics on this thread are lovely :)

hurricane_ridge.jpg

Just keep testing - the pics on this thread are lovely :)View attachment 44991
Hmmm...
Mount buttocks, I've been there.

Anyway Janet, this post is using an ancient laptop with Windows 10.
So, W10 being an iteration of W8/8.1 does the same thing.
7 works; 8 & 10 don't.
Sorry Mark.

Attachments

• Horizontal.jpg
    Horizontal.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Verticle.jpg
    Verticle.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Try again...
Windows 8.1.
Original, vertical (portrait) then rotated 90 CW.

Attachments

• Verticle.jpg
    Verticle.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 76
    129.9 KB · Views: 71
Now, same process only with Windows 7.
So, this confirms it is a W8-10 issue.
Screw it...going to go find a keg.

Attachments

• Verticle.jpg
    Verticle.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 236
    129.5 KB · Views: 68
Winodoze 7 was quite good...W8 was crap...W9 was jumped...W10 was supposed to fix everything...appears not. I'll stick with 7 at work for now. We are all Macs at home.

Winodoze 7 was quite good...W8 was crap...W9 was jumped...W10 was supposed to fix everything...appears not. I'll stick with 7 at work for now. We are all Macs at home.
I have always liked W7 and wanted nothing to do with 8.

When I got my new laptop in April, it came with 8.1 so I adapted and am ok with it even though there are a couple of wierdities. I have installed 10 on an old laptop just to play with and have not yet decided if I like it or not.

So, now I have all 3 versions, still prefer 7 and thankfully it will be around for a few more years.

Ok, so let's try again based on a Windows forum tip.

Nope.
Just like Maxine Nightingale said;
Right back where we started from.

Attachments

• Verticle.jpg
    Verticle.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Verticle Rotated 90.jpg
    Verticle Rotated 90.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Yup, I'm having a similar problem. Using images either from my iPad or iPhone6 on manage attachments, the thumbnail shows the pictures as being right way up. But when the actual post is viewed, they are upside down. I have tried it with multiple images and they all do the same thing. Images have correct rotation on the devices and also as shown on the thumbnails in manage attachments on the website.
Some help here would be appreciated.

McGillicuddy, just out of interest, which way up do you hold the iPad or phone when taking pics? I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 6, and mine come out right, but I always use them with the home/start button at the bottom, if portrait, or to the right if in landscape mode. Someone else having this upside down issue found it was due to holding them the other way round, even though the picture orients such that it looks ok, but apparently isn't. Well maybe that's it anyway. Worth considering. I think it was Marin who pointed this foible out that time..?

Solve 99% of all your issues by dumping your PC and buy a Mac. Why the majority of PC users haven't done this is baffling to me. I've been a Mac user since the early 80's. In the mid 90's I was forced to switch to a PC by my accountant and hated every minute of it. Finally the financial software availability for Macs caught up and I dumped the PC as fast as I could. It's been heavenly bliss ever since. Just Sayin'

McGillicuddy, just out of interest, which way up do you hold the iPad or phone when taking pics? I have an iPad 2 and iPhone 6, and mine come out right, but I always use them with the home/start button at the bottom, if portrait, or to the right if in landscape mode. Someone else having this upside down issue found it was due to holding them the other way round, even though the picture orients such that it looks ok, but apparently isn't. Well maybe that's it anyway. Worth considering. I think it was Marin who pointed this foible out that time..?

I normally take the photos with the button at the bottom unless I have to take the photo with the camera on its side in which case its to the right.
I managed to download a photo today that is correctly oriented. I used the TF app and it works that way. Apparently if you use the Safari browser with the website it will not work.

I normally take the photos with the button at the bottom unless I have to take the photo with the camera on its side in which case its to the right.
I managed to download a photo today that is correctly oriented. I used the TF app and it works that way. Apparently if you use the Safari browser with the website it will not work.

Ah, yes...forgot that bit. I too gave up on Saf...no...wait a minute...I gave up using Firefox and went back to Safari because it is in the Mac OS on everything I use at home, and on the boat, and they don't go upside down. Can't just be the browser then. How do you transfer your pics from iPhone 6 to your iMac or Laptop? I just have then all linked/shared via iCloud now - works well - much easier than emailing pics I wanted to my computer or making a cord connection.
By the way, I find all this forum stuff and also pic uploading goes much easier from a laptop, rather than using the iPhone TF app. Everything is way too cramped and small in the mobile app for my liking. Are you trying to do everything from the iPhone app..? Maybe the problem is using Safari on the iPhone. Safari works fine on the MacBook Air.

I have all my devices linked to the icloud and they sync on a regular basis.
i prefer to read the forum on my iPad on safari but now go to the app to post pics.
I am not a fan of the way the app lays out to read.

Back
Top Bottom