Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

City: north myrtle beach,SC
Possibly a Mainship 36 aft cabin?

Newbie here. Recently lost our boat to a marina fire, the slip neighbor caught fire and damaged our boat. Ours was an diesel powered express cruiser which gave economical planning speed. Moving to a "trawler" might require a significant change in our cruising habits.
Two boats have drawn our attention. The Mainship 36 aft cabin, and the Bayliner 3888. Can anyone give me first hand knowledge of what fuel burn I can expect from either of these boats when on plan.
Thanks for your help
dlgammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

City: Richmond
Mainship...are you talking about the one that was made mid-late 80's?
If so, isn't that really a 35'?
Anyway, it that is the one you are talking about, most came with 5.7's (350's). A lot of people would think that to be underpowered, but it really is a good, economical match. I don't have figures, but I had a buddy who used to have one and he got decent speed running less than 3000 RPM's.

Bayliner 3888, most came with Hino diesels. Kinda on the small side, but economical.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
For the Mainship you probably don't want to pull more than 150 hp out of each engine for best life. So according to boatdiesel's power calculator, 300 hp will push that boat to 17 kts. Gassers make about 12 hp per gph of fuel burned, so it will require 25 gph or about 0.7 NM/gal.

The Bayliner with the Hino diesels will do about 1/3 better, probably near 1 NM/gal at 17 kts. But pushing the Hinos to 150 hp each is too much, so I would keep it down to 14 kts or so.

Some Bayliners have been repowered with Cummins 6BTs, a much better engine IMO, and those could cruise at 17 ok.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
Guru

I believe the 36 Mainship uses about 1 Nm per gallon in the gas version when on plane.
I know many who have had them.
There are a few that were made with Perkins diesels, some at 165 hp some at 200 hp. (each engine). I don't know the economy of those models.
I know a guy who did the loop with a gas powered one, and he cruised one engine at a time for much of the trip.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Houston
The Hino's on the Bayliner are wonderful engines, but the Achilles heel for them are the manicoolers. If the boat you are looking at has had the manicoolers regularly serviced then typically there is no problem. But if not and you find yourself needing a new manicooler get ready to pay out the nose if you can find a good serviceable unit.

On my Bayliner I had my manicoolers sent out and ceramic coated which extends their life tremendously. I would recommend anyone who wants a Hino powered boat to look into this. It's expensive but well worth it.
CaptRonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #6

I've collected several listings for the 36 aft cabin so I assume that it is 36 feet. They typically list twin Crusader 270 as the standard engine. Some claim that they can cruise @ 18Kn with a max of 26Kn!!! Another add states that it will run 23Kn @ 4200 RPM. That might be hard on a gas engine.
1 Nm per gal. is something to think about. Our previous boat did 2.01 /Nm.
Thanks
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #7

What are manicoolers? Do they cool the exhaust manifolds? Thanks for the tip, I will consider that in my decision. I have read positive reports about the Hinos, however the availability of spare parts was sighted as a problem.
Did the 45/47 Pilothouse come with Hinos?
Old 01-24-2018, 11:47 AM   #8

Our previous boat had been repowered with a single Cummins 6BT 5.9, dependable and economical to run. I would like to find a Bayliner 38 repowered with Cummins. I did find one but it was a little out of our price range.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
For the Mainship you probably don't want to pull more than 150 hp out of each engine for best life. So according to boatdiesel's power calculator, 300 hp will push that boat to 17 kts. Gassers make about 12 hp per gph of fuel burned, so it will require 25 gph or about 0.7 NM/gal.

The Bayliner with the Hino diesels will do about 1/3 better, probably near 1 NM/gal at 17 kts. But pushing the Hinos to 150 hp each is too much, so I would keep it down to 14 kts or so.

Some Bayliners have been repowered with Cummins 6BTs, a much better engine IMO, and those could cruise at 17 ok.

David

The EH700 Hino's are higher cubic inch industrial engines that were typically utilized at 140+ hp for 24/7/365 operations in factory usage. I saw 8 of them rack mounted at a larger plating factory in Shimodate Japan when I was in tech service around the early 90's. It was the single reason I looked to find a boat that had these engines in them.
I bought our first Hino powered boat not too long after that - a 1986 38 Bayliner with the EH700's that were natural and rated at the 175 HP.
In our case we usually got right about 1.3 nmpg at 14-15 knots with a top capability at about 18 knots. As long as they are propped p reach the full 3,000+ rpms they can be run just about anywhere you like with a great service record. The same engines with turbos and intercoolers were in my 45 Bayliner rated at 220 hp - EH700TI.
The 38 Bayliner was also available with a 135HP Mitsubishi diesels as well as a pair of V8 gas engines - neither will be popular for longevity and fuel use if you cruise often above low hull speeds.
I moved to the Bayliner from an early (1986 as well) Silverton 34 with twin gas which was similar in may ways to the Mainship of its time. I found the fuel use at mid teens cruising to be just about 2:1 between the larger Bayliner with diesels vs the 34 Silverton with gas engines.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgammons View Post
What are manicoolers? Do they cool the exhaust manifolds? Thanks for the tip, I will consider that in my decision. I have read positive reports about the Hinos, however the availability of spare parts was sighted as a problem.
Did the 45/47 Pilothouse come with Hinos?
Manicoolers are easily handled if any reasonable service if performed on the engines. Manicoolers are a combination exhaust manifold and heat exchanger very similar to what you will find in Yanmar and other current 'smaller' diesels.
The 45 Bayliner came with both big block gas as well as the EH700 Hino which is turbo and intercooled and rated at 220 hp.
The 47 Bayliner came with both the 250 and 310hp rated WO6 series Hino's (newer and smaller displacement) as well as a very few that were gas powered. If you are looking at a WO6 series powered Hino please consider the many advantages of the 310 hp versions.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlgammons View Post
Our previous boat had been repowered with a single Cummins 6BT 5.9, dependable and economical to run. I would like to find a Bayliner 38 repowered with Cummins. I did find one but it was a little out of our price range.
Interesting - I have owned 4 Bayliners with Hino's 38/45/45/47 and always sought out a Hino powered boat. I have owned a number of Cummins 6b's as well but not in Bayliners.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:00 AM   #12

City: Richmond
FWIW, you can't go wrong with that Mainship, even with the gas engines. For a boat that size to get 1 mpg on gas engines is great. If you need to extend your range, slow down to hull speed and you might get 1-1/2, maybe 2 mpg.
There is only one thing I don't like about that boat... the flybridge is awfully tight. Other than that, it is a very roomy, comfortable boat.

As far as the Bayliner goes, I know the reputation and I've also know a LOT of people who have owned a 38 MY and I can say the boat served them well.
I'm not crazy about the layout, but the boat has a lot to offer.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote